GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What kind of gas are you using these days?
Premium
51.69%
Regular
48.31%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)

Old 11-02-15, 12:06 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 93 Premium

I only use Premium in my GX as recommended. More detergents.... .
Its cheaper in NJ anyways so fill up on way back from work...
Old 11-02-15, 02:53 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
I only use Premium in my GX as recommended. More detergents.... .
Its cheaper in NJ anyways so fill up on way back from work...
Top tier stations put the same detergent in all their grades. Except maybe Shell adding something new to super,
Old 11-02-15, 04:53 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
I have talked with a few people that claim better mileage using premium, but I can't say that I experienced any difference. The HP rating stated in the manual for the 2005 is higher than other years so I thought maybe that's why specified premium. I haven't noticed any ping either using regular, but I haven't pulled a trailer with any amount of weight yet. Was thinking the computer would compensate anyway.
Checked on some of the Toyota forms (they use the same engine) and they seem to think it's just because Lexus promotes the "Premium" concept of the car, so it must have to use premium fuel LOL. Guess I was interested to see how many owners on here used premium over regular. Myself I'll run regular but maybe once in a while run a tank of premium if I'm towing.
The recommendation for premium came in 05 with variable valve timing. The only time I could see the need for premium is when towing, or if you drive hard. The truck doesn't know what fuel is in the tank.
Old 11-03-15, 08:05 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought a 2006 GX470 and i'm getting 16.7 mpg using regular in mostly city driving with small 5-8 mile highway runs. That's better than EPA estimates using premium. if you get better gas mileage on 93 octane that means i would be getting better than epa estimates if i used premium. personally, i don't see any difference in my ride but i haven't towed anything yet. personally, with no data to back it up, oi think it's best to use premium when you are sport driving and drag racing where you need every ounce of horsepower. city and highway driving never needs that much horsepower.
Old 11-03-15, 08:10 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
Probably an old subject, but which fuel do you use regular 87 octane or premium 91 octane. I recently bought a 2005 and have run both and can't say I noticed any difference. The Toyota 4 Runners with the same engine runs regular but my Lexus manual says premium. WHICH grade do YOU use ?
If you cant feel the difference then the ecm is doing its job. TBH without knowing what parts differentiate the two engines in specific terms its very hard to provide direct evidence to why the 91. However as these engines are basically solid performers and you are out of warranty go with whatever

However if you can, stick with 91. As its gonna be operating within the design that Lexus wanted

Last edited by coolsaber; 11-03-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 08:22 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm no engineer from Toyota, but that's why I just get what they recommend. Premium.
Old 11-03-15, 06:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Actually, what the manual says is that, while 91 octane premium fuel is recommended, 87 octane regular is sufficient. From reading at a number of sources, including multiple threads here, the primary reason for the recommendation for using 91 octane is because, by doing so, the vehicle could quality for a higher EPA emissions rating.

I've had my 2005 GX since it was new. I've never used anything but regular fuel in it. During the 10+ years of ownership, I've never heard an engine ping. Almost none of my driving is in stop-and-go conditions, and, with that kind of driving, the GX is still averaging just above 20 mpg, which is what it was getting when it was new.

I figure that, by using regular fuel, I've saved about $2000 in fuel costs over the period of my ownership of the GX. With no apparent issues related either to performance or fuel economy, I'm happy to continue using the regular grade fuel.
Old 11-03-15, 07:43 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me that using regular is a mater of personal preference rather than really needing premium. Overall performance is not affected that much, at least by my experience. I was interested in how many people use premium and why, or if by using regular made any difference with respect to engine problems or mileage. I'm wondering if I'm doing the right or wrong thing running regular, other than saving some money. If regular does not hurt the engine why spend more for premium fuel. as I said before maybe towing could make a difference, and if so I'll try to use premium when I tow long distances,
Old 11-03-15, 10:40 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There's another thread here that discusses this exact same thing, and it was determined that the pre-VVTi does not recommend using premium, while the VVTi's does. So no, it is still not a matter of preference. It's a matter of people not wanting to follow a factory recommendation based on personal beliefs.
Old 11-04-15, 02:59 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

It is only recommendation not a requirement. If there is any possible downside to using a regular it would be on the performance end, not longevity or damage. So if you feel there is a performance gain than by all means go for 91 or higher, if your wallet hurts, pick the 87. Just choose a top tier gas that has that extra detergent. It's added to all octanes.
Old 11-04-15, 12:26 PM
fantic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with lesz. I now have 140k on the odometer and no problems with regular gas.
Old 11-04-15, 12:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

One of the other things that I have read in a number of sources is that, for vehicles with engines that have variable valve timing, you should not be switching back and forth between premium grade and regular grade fuel. Since it takes a number of tanks of fuel for the valve timing to be properly adjusted for the fuel used, if you are switching back and forth between premium and regular fuel, it is likely that, for a good amount of your driving, the valve timing will not be optimized for the fuel being used.
Old 11-05-15, 04:29 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Actually, what the manual says is that, while 91 octane premium fuel is recommended, 87 octane regular is sufficient. From reading at a number of sources, including multiple threads here, the primary reason for the recommendation for using 91 octane is because, by doing so, the vehicle could quality for a higher EPA emissions rating.

I've had my 2005 GX since it was new. I've never used anything but regular fuel in it. During the 10+ years of ownership, I've never heard an engine ping. Almost none of my driving is in stop-and-go conditions, and, with that kind of driving, the GX is still averaging just above 20 mpg, which is what it was getting when it was new.

I figure that, by using regular fuel, I've saved about $2000 in fuel costs over the period of my ownership of the GX. With no apparent issues related either to performance or fuel economy, I'm happy to continue using the regular grade fuel.
Lesz- is the 05 GX pre-VVTI?
Old 11-05-15, 05:09 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NTH
Lesz- is the 05 GX pre-VVTI?
The 2005 GX does have VVT-i.
Old 11-06-15, 01:42 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't the 4Runner 4.7L V-8 from the same years require regular fuel, so what would be the different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)