GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sad day for me.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 05:43 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

To me an M35X is pretty nice luxury car, but its no match for GX470, due to higher clearances and such. Anyways, enjoy your winter..
Old 11-23-15, 05:51 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Pardon me, but this the funniest thread i ever read. LOL I owned a GS400 (Modded) and GS430 (my daily) and I recently bought a '08 GX470 for winter duties and all-around usage.. I save my cars alot from bad weather and such, probably more than anyone on this forum, but who saves a GX?

I feel the GX is very good for all around purpose, I had an '03 V8 4runner and it was awesome vehicle is why i decided to get the GX470 which is basically the same car plus the luxury added on.. When I had my 4runner, i went everywhere, literally. My friends had this cabin in the mountains and it was a 45-60 degree hill climb and usually only 4wd trucks could make it up there. I drove my 2WD V8 4Runner up there no problems and was easier and smoother than pickup trucks.

I would never in my mind save a GX from winter, thats what its made for and more!!.. I bought both of my GS's since new and I understanding saving a car from damage (mainly because one of them is lowered and tuned for racing) but Saving a GX is ridiculous to me.. I have 49K miles on my GS400, and 37K miles on my GS430.. I save my other vehicles and are in top condition.. But recently bought my GX with 52K miles. I plan to drive it in every condition imaginable.

Saving a GX seems like such a waste.. Just use it.. I mean you have GX and it snows and you're going to drive a Corolla? Does that make any sense? (If it was a high-performance sedan or Luxury sedan, i would understand to try to save it, but saving a tougher vehicle that's made for rougher weather is ummm..
Agreed. The notion of parking a GX for the winter reminds me of a buddy who bought a beautiful LTZ Suburban so he could comfortably accommodate his growing family. But he refused to take it on long road trips to "keep the miles down." Instead, five people a dog and bags in a beat up base model Accord. I told him "just drive and enjoy" but that never worked. The dealer scored when he traded the Suburban in at five years old with 35,000 miles. To each his own.
Old 11-23-15, 06:11 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Pardon me, but this the funniest thread i ever read. LOL I owned a GS400 (Modded) and GS430 (my daily) and I recently bought a '08 GX470 for winter duties and all-around usage.. I save my cars alot from bad weather and such, probably more than anyone on this forum, but who saves a GX?

I feel the GX is very good for all around purpose, I had an '03 V8 4runner and it was awesome vehicle is why i decided to get the GX470 which is basically the same car plus the luxury added on.. When I had my 4runner, i went everywhere, literally. My friends had this cabin in the mountains and it was a 45-60 degree hill climb and usually only 4wd trucks could make it up there. I drove my 2WD V8 4Runner up there no problems and was easier and smoother than pickup trucks.

I would never in my mind save a GX from winter, thats what its made for and more!!.. I bought both of my GS's since new and I understanding saving a car from damage (mainly because one of them is lowered and tuned for racing) but Saving a GX is ridiculous to me.. I have 49K miles on my GS400, and 37K miles on my GS430.. I save my other vehicles and are in top condition.. But recently bought my GX with 52K miles. I plan to drive it in every condition imaginable.

Saving a GX seems like such a waste.. Just use it.. I mean you have GX and it snows and you're going to drive a Corolla? Does that make any sense? (If it was a high-performance sedan or Luxury sedan, i would understand to try to save it, but saving a tougher vehicle that's made for rougher weather is ummm..
It's got nothing to do with its capabilities, as it's a far better option (obviously) in the snow, and is a great all around truck. I use it mainly as the expedition/vacation car, and it sees all kinds of rough terrain. It was off road in 12 states in 2015 alone. I bought the Infiniti on the cheap, it's got a trillion bazillion miles on it, looks like a warm bag of dicks in sunlight because it's black and has seen a few too many automatic car washes, and is something I don't feel bad or worry about zipping into the first open parking spot at the grocery store when it's 4 degrees out. I'm weird, I know. But since I bought it with my own money I can do whatever I want with it.
Old 11-23-15, 06:18 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
It's got nothing to do with its capabilities, as it's a far better option (obviously) in the snow, and is a great all around truck. I use it mainly as the expedition/vacation car, and it sees all kinds of rough terrain. It was off road in 12 states in 2015 alone. I bought the Infiniti on the cheap, it's got a trillion bazillion miles on it, looks like a warm bag of dicks in sunlight because it's black and has seen a few too many automatic car washes, and is something I don't feel bad or worry about zipping into the first open parking spot at the grocery store when it's 4 degrees out. I'm weird, I know. But since I bought it with my own money I can do whatever I want with it.
Good for you bro, if you're planning to keep it til the wheels fall off.. I had my GS for almost 17 years now and its not going anywhere and that's why i save it. But, if this is a car you'll trade out in a few years than its a mistake to save it..
Old 11-23-15, 06:22 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Agreed. The notion of parking a GX for the winter reminds me of a buddy who bought a beautiful LTZ Suburban so he could comfortably accommodate his growing family. But he refused to take it on long road trips to "keep the miles down." Instead, five people a dog and bags in a beat up base model Accord. I told him "just drive and enjoy" but that never worked. The dealer scored when he traded the Suburban in at five years old with 35,000 miles. To each his own.
I drive and enjoy the hell out of it in the summer months. I'm a bit fanatical with paint, so again, I chose not to drive it when I don't have to.
Name:  8848F9BA-09B8-4E1B-9C37-134A35D6E226_zpsvbre7wdj.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  217.2 KB[/URL]

Name:  D22521ED-D736-498C-B6CA-462421484592_zpsojnmsi3h.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  228.8 KB

And then it comes home from me beating the snot out of it so I can spend 20+hrs with a buffer to make it look like this again. Don't think for one second it doesn't get put through the paces and used for what it was built for, but you'd never know it was a 2003 with almost 150,000 miles.

Name:  960E4887-25CD-4152-9530-B29C76A5D97E_zpsv2gqqjn4.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  207.3 KB
Name:  7BF98BCC-A5DE-4B84-BC14-AC025489A90D_zpshbfm4dgm.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  203.8 KB
Old 11-23-15, 06:32 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Good for you bro, if you're planning to keep it til the wheels fall off.. I had my GS for almost 17 years now and its not going anywhere and that's why i save it. But, if this is a car you'll trade out in a few years than its a mistake to save it..
It's not going anywhere, except on more cool vacations in the summer. Another funny thing, I couldn't tell you the last car I owned that sold for less money than I paid for it. When I sold my 3rd gen 4Runner, I had people from all over the country trying to buy it. I even had a guy offer me $500 more than my asking price to not sell it to a guy I had made a deal with who was flying in from Kansas to buy it. My cars and trucks are always flawless, regardless of what I use them for.
Old 11-23-15, 06:35 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Nice Pics. How does it do waterfording?
Old 11-23-15, 06:45 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Nice Pics. How does it do waterfording?
It was great. The only thing the terra grapplers aren't that great with is sand. But being an all terrain tire, that's kind of to be expected. I was most surprised with how well they handled the slick rock in Moab.
Old 11-24-15, 01:11 AM
micah360
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love driving the GX in the winter. I just got some awesome new tires today and can't wait for it to snow 10" asap!

They don't use salt on the roads in Colorado though.
Old 11-24-15, 03:22 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by micah360
I love driving the GX in the winter. I just got some awesome new tires today and can't wait for it to snow 10" asap!

They don't use salt on the roads in Colorado though.
Exactly. I'd drive the crap out of it in snow if they didn't use salt.
Old 11-24-15, 06:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

While I do agree with 1QWKGS4 that it seems crazy to park a beefy AWD vehicle like the GX for the winter, I'm another guy that bought a car (RWD to boot) for year round daily driver duties, while my Land Cruiser sits in the heated garage, lol.
Old 11-24-15, 07:16 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I find that making the generalization and coming to the conclusion that it is "insane" to park a GX for the winter is both narrow minded and insulting because there can be very logical and sane reasons for choosing to park a GX for the winter.

In my case, I had a GX that I paid over $50,000 for, and, at the same time, I had another vehicle that was "well worn" but still quite capable of safely performing in winter driving conditions. And, it made sense to me to drive the vehicle that was already beaten up by winter driving so that I didn't quickly end up with 2 vehicles, instead of just one vehicle, that had been beaten up by exposure to salt, mine tailings, etc.

My decision to park the GX for the winter was made for reasons similar to reasons why I would choose, if I were painting my house, to wear an old pair of jeans and not a pair that I had just bought.
Old 11-24-15, 01:36 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the blue painters tape. How long does that take?
BlackCat, it is good to see someone use the vehicle the way it was meant to be used, while at the same time taking care of it. So many people view everything as disposable these days. I can't wait to take the GX out in the snow (later this week!) but they don't go as crazy with the salt as they do up there in the northeast.
Old 11-24-15, 03:06 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
+1 for the blue painters tape. How long does that take?
BlackCat, it is good to see someone use the vehicle the way it was meant to be used, while at the same time taking care of it. So many people view everything as disposable these days. I can't wait to take the GX out in the snow (later this week!) but they don't go as crazy with the salt as they do up there in the northeast.
It took me a little over an hour to do it, and about a roll and a half. This is what it looked like when I took it off.

Name:  72430847-F3D6-4753-8853-54E42E10885A_zpsxklpp58g.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  154.2 KB
Old 11-25-15, 05:08 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That did better than expected. I had a friend of mine back in high school rain-x his entire truck before we went off roading.

Quick Reply: Sad day for me.......