GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sad day for me.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 11:58 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sad day for me.......

Got all the toys cleaned, fueled, and put on chargers. Got the dreaded snowblower up and running. It's a bit early, but it was a nice mild day today and I wanted to get it all done and over with. Can't wait for spring already!

Name:  740F2E03-267F-4C15-9F93-EA3FAABA1EC1_zps8bfhvzc7.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  221.0 KB
Old 10-26-15, 01:24 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Go drive that winter beater, save the GX for the spring!

Chip H.
Old 10-26-15, 02:22 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chiph9
Go drive that winter beater, save the GX for the spring!

Chip H.
Yup! Its a relief it stays out of the salt and crap, and I don't have to worry about swapping my factory wheels back on.
Old 10-27-15, 06:52 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

So what do you drive in the winter? Seems a shame to miss out on that AWD goodness for the next 5 months by packing the GX away, but it does look comfy under that cover.
Old 10-27-15, 07:27 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IanB2
So what do you drive in the winter? Seems a shame to miss out on that AWD goodness for the next 5 months by packing the GX away, but it does look comfy under that cover.
My M35x is also all wheel drive, and surprisingly good in snow with all its nanny traction control gadgets. It's got 205k miles so it's kind of a "throw away" car to me, buts it's got more bells and whistles than the Lexus does.
Name:  073093D8-6980-4487-B8B9-ECECD856CE85_zpso5ga0e4e.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  221.4 KB
Old 10-27-15, 09:26 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Ya, that should do the trick. Nice "winter beater".
Old 10-27-15, 10:07 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Ya, that should do the trick. Nice "winter beater".
I actually drive it all year, and generally only use the GX on nice days or when I go ATV'ing or go on vacation. I've owned a lot of really cool cars, from Corvettes to Cobras and a bunch of others, but I've never liked any of them as much as I like my GX. So it gets the special treatment and is babied.
Old 10-27-15, 10:13 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
I actually drive it all year, and generally only use the GX on nice days or when I go ATV'ing or go on vacation. I've owned a lot of really cool cars, from Corvettes to Cobras and a bunch of others, but I've never liked any of them as much as I like my GX. So it gets the special treatment and is babied.
I can relate, I bought my Benz to commute to and from work, and pile on a bunch of kms that I didn't want the Land Cruiser to be subjected to. I should have bought something AWD and manual transmission, as those are my 2 biggest gripes about the car. The HDJ81 parks in the garage while the AMG sits in the driveway, lol. And the GX is in the garage too, as I'm only allowed one of the garage bays for my stuff.
Old 10-27-15, 11:53 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

I can relate, I bought my Benz to commute to and from work, and pile on a bunch of kms that I didn't want the Land Cruiser to be subjected to. I should have bought something AWD and manual transmission, as those are my 2 biggest gripes about the car. The HDJ81 parks in the garage while the AMG sits in the driveway, lol. And the GX is in the garage too, as I'm only allowed one of the garage bays for my stuff.
Haha, it's funny you mentioned that, I'm looking for a new house, not because I need a bigger one, but I need more garage space. Us car guys are a bit mental.
Old 11-22-15, 06:05 PM
zeeshan66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not going to lie i've had a LOT of fun driving my GX in all seasons especially the winter. Having recently moved to FL that's the only thing i do miss about the north. To each his own.
Old 11-23-15, 03:32 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zeeshan66
i'm not going to lie i've had a LOT of fun driving my GX in all seasons especially the winter. Having recently moved to FL that's the only thing i do miss about the north. To each his own.
It's not that I don't like driving it in the snow, because I do. I just don't like subjecting it to all the road salt and crap for the next 6 months. Especially when I have a winter beater that I bought specifically for that purpose.
Old 11-23-15, 03:59 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Say whaaaaat?! Lol. I understand your love for your toys. I'm beginning the hibernation process for my P cars this week. I drive the GX year round.
Old 11-23-15, 06:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Yup! Its a relief it stays out of the salt and crap, and I don't have to worry about swapping my factory wheels back on.
My M35x is also all wheel drive, and surprisingly good in snow with all its nanny traction control gadgets. It's got 205k miles so it's kind of a "throw away" car to me, buts it's got more bells and whistles than the Lexus does.

It's not that I don't like driving it in the snow, because I do. I just don't like subjecting it to all the road salt and crap for the next 6 months. Especially when I have a winter beater that I bought specifically for that purpose.
I can relate completely to what you are saying.

I bought my GX new in 2005. Even though it was the best equipped vehicle that I had ever owned for safe and secure winter driving, I couldn't bring myself to subjecting a $50,000+ vehicle that still looked showroom perfect to winter driving. Besides the salt, out here in the country, they spread mine tailings/rock chips on the roads when there is ice and snow, and, while those mine tailings/rock chips are great for providing traction, they are horrible with regard to damaging the vehicle finish.

So, during the first several years that I had the GX, I also had a Toyota Tacoma 4X4, and I parked the GX for the winter and drove the Tacoma. Even after I sold the Tacoma, I also had an older Lexus ES. While the ES was not AWD and as good as the GX would have been on snow and ice covered roads, its FWD did fine, and I continued to park the GX for the winter.

Two years ago, I replaced the older ES with a new ES, and the GX became my oldest vehicle. For the first time, I began driving the GX in the winter, and, now, the ES gets parked for the winter. After two winters of driving the GX, the finish has held up well because I've protected it from the rock chips with a front-end mask. It still looks great. The one part of the vehicle that has suffered from the winter driving has been the wheels, but I'm not sure that I've seen many GX vehicles whose factory wheels have held up well to several years of use.

I do have to say that I have really enjoyed driving the GX during the 2 winters when I have done so. I'm not sure if I've ever driven a vehicle that has made me feel more secure on slippery roads. I can't recall a single instance during that time when the GX has started to slip even minimally on very slick roads.

We just had our first snowfall for the winter a couple of days ago. The snowfall total was about 12 inches. So, the GX is about to go into its 3rd winter, but, even at 10+ years old, it still hurts me to see it covered with salt for the first time of this winter season.
Old 11-23-15, 01:38 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
I can relate completely to what you are saying.

I bought my GX new in 2005. Even though it was the best equipped vehicle that I had ever owned for safe and secure winter driving, I couldn't bring myself to subjecting a $50,000+ vehicle that still looked showroom perfect to winter driving. Besides the salt, out here in the country, they spread mine tailings/rock chips on the roads when there is ice and snow, and, while those mine tailings/rock chips are great for providing traction, they are horrible with regard to damaging the vehicle finish.

So, during the first several years that I had the GX, I also had a Toyota Tacoma 4X4, and I parked the GX for the winter and drove the Tacoma. Even after I sold the Tacoma, I also had an older Lexus ES. While the ES was not AWD and as good as the GX would have been on snow and ice covered roads, its FWD did fine, and I continued to park the GX for the winter.

Two years ago, I replaced the older ES with a new ES, and the GX became my oldest vehicle. For the first time, I began driving the GX in the winter, and, now, the ES gets parked for the winter. After two winters of driving the GX, the finish has held up well because I've protected it from the rock chips with a front-end mask. It still looks great. The one part of the vehicle that has suffered from the winter driving has been the wheels, but I'm not sure that I've seen many GX vehicles whose factory wheels have held up well to several years of use.

I do have to say that I have really enjoyed driving the GX during the 2 winters when I have done so. I'm not sure if I've ever driven a vehicle that has made me feel more secure on slippery roads. I can't recall a single instance during that time when the GX has started to slip even minimally on very slick roads.

We just had our first snowfall for the winter a couple of days ago. The snowfall total was about 12 inches. So, the GX is about to go into its 3rd winter, but, even at 10+ years old, it still hurts me to see it covered with salt for the first time of this winter season.
We also got about a foot here too. My Infiniti was inside while I was working on Saturday, and when I left, I got stuck trying to leave work. The GX would've gone through it no problem. I've been thinking of moving out west next year, possibly to Colorado. So if I decide to go, I'll sell the Infiniti and just drive the GX all the time. I legitimately hate road salt that much. It's brutal.
Name:  75D53B9C-62B9-4ED5-BFA5-7EB5243D3905_zpsoba2btm9.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  282.1 KB
Old 11-23-15, 05:37 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Pardon me, but this the funniest thread i ever read. LOL I owned a GS400 (Modded) and GS430 (my daily) and I recently bought a '08 GX470 for winter duties and all-around usage.. I save my cars alot from bad weather and such, probably more than anyone on this forum, but who saves a GX?

I feel the GX is very good for all around purpose, I had an '03 V8 4runner and it was awesome vehicle is why i decided to get the GX470 which is basically the same car plus the luxury added on.. When I had my 4runner, i went everywhere, literally. My friends had this cabin in the mountains and it was a 45-60 degree hill climb and usually only 4wd trucks could make it up there. I drove my 2WD V8 4Runner up there no problems and was easier and smoother than pickup trucks.

I would never in my mind save a GX from winter, thats what its made for and more!!.. I bought both of my GS's since new and I understanding saving a car from damage (mainly because one of them is lowered and tuned for racing) but Saving a GX is ridiculous to me.. I have 49K miles on my GS400, and 37K miles on my GS430.. I save my other vehicles and are in top condition.. But recently bought my GX with 52K miles. I plan to drive it in every condition imaginable.

Saving a GX seems like such a waste.. Just use it.. I mean you have GX and it snows and you're going to drive a Corolla? Does that make any sense? (If it was a high-performance sedan or Luxury sedan, i would understand to try to save it, but saving a tougher vehicle that's made for rougher weather is ummm..

Quick Reply: Sad day for me.......