GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Setting the door lock function

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 02:54 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The DRLs are a good safety feature. What is your reason for wanting to turn them off?
I just never liked them. Thank goodness there is an easy way to turn them off. But Toyota should let the owner be able to do it without having to go back and have the dealership do it.
Old 11-30-05, 08:10 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

Thanks for the info, can you tell me what page in the owner's manual this was found in?

G-man,

The reason I want to turn them off, is because GX is using the turn signal lamps for the DRL, from other members of the forum this really REALLY shortens the life of the blinkers. If Lexus/Toyota were able to enable DRL via H11 (headlights) instead this would have been better. As is, the two orange DRLs in the front of the GX doesn't really strike me as being advantageous, other vehicles from other makes implement DRL via headlights....
Old 11-30-05, 08:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

[QUOTE=lonewolf69]Bob,

Thanks for the info, can you tell me what page in the owner's manual this was found in?

The info is in the Lexus Service Manual, not the owners manual.
Old 12-01-05, 05:19 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Thanks Bob,

How does one get the service manual? Can you also provide the chapter, page number and volume?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-05, 11:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Bob,

The reason I want to turn them off, is because GX is using the turn signal lamps for the DRL, from other members of the forum this really REALLY shortens the life of the blinkers. If Lexus/Toyota were able to enable DRL via H11 (headlights) instead this would have been better. As is, the two orange DRLs in the front of the GX doesn't really strike me as being advantageous, other vehicles from other makes implement DRL via headlights....
Isn't replacing a $2 bulb every 3 years worth it if it helps to prevent even one accident?
Old 12-01-05, 02:26 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Thanks Bob,

How does one get the service manual? Can you also provide the chapter, page number and volume?

Thanks in advance!
The Lexus Service Manuals are available from Materials Distribution Center. The phone number is in the back of the owners manual. Right now they only have the electrical service manual for the 06 GX. The total for the whole set of manuals for the GX470 cost about $500.00.
Maybe your dealer can get you a break on the price of the service manuals. But I doubt it.

Off hand I don't have the volumn, chapter and page number since I returned the 05 service manuals. I'm waiting for the full set to be available before I purchase the set. Even with the service manuals, you still have to let the dealer change the LPS since they have the scan tool to do it.
Old 12-02-05, 08:21 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

G-man,

I don't believe the DRL on the GX are bright enough to be effective DRLs.... If you take a look at other cars/trucks the DRLs are using the headlamps instead of the turn signals... That was my inial guy reaction when I first laid eyes on the GX... Those are DRL's, yeash...

I left it well enough alone until I read on this thread how they keep burning out... if they're not effective and running them causes them to burn out faster, why not just disable them?

The problem isn't with the $2.00 cost of the buld, but rather how to take them out and replace them without going to the dealership... I've looked and I don;t see how to replace these without damaging bumper... Perhaps if someone were kind enough to show me, this wouldn't be an issue?

Bob,

I fully understand that I'll still have to take the GX into the shop for LPS programming but I'm betting that my dealer was just going to be as stubborn as yours unless I too, showed them the Service Manual with the Page, chapter and paragraph.... Oh well, I'll just bite the bullet and ask them flat out on my next visit and ask them to do this without Service Manual reference...

Thank you!
Old 12-02-05, 09:04 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Bob,

I fully understand that I'll still have to take the GX into the shop for LPS programming but I'm betting that my dealer was just going to be as stubborn as yours unless I too, showed them the Service Manual with the Page, chapter and paragraph.... Oh well, I'll just bite the bullet and ask them flat out on my next visit and ask them to do this without Service Manual reference...

Thank you![/QUOTE]

OK, from the official authorized Lexus Service Manual, Volumn 2, Page 05-1533, at the bottom of the page, it tells the official authorized tech that he can disable the DRL's in the LPS. I believe you have up to 12 months from delivery date to have this done at no charge. Otherwise, I'm sure they would charge you a minimum 1 hour kings ransom for labor to hook the scan tool to the car and make the change. But in reality, it might take all of 10 minutes. Good luck.
Old 12-02-05, 09:11 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Thanks for the info Bob...

I wish this and any OTHER LPS functions were published in the LPS brochure I got.... I would LOVE to take advantage of the all the LPS settings available. The settings that are shown on this brochure are:

Door locks functions
Power Window and moon roof settings
Interior cabin lights settings
delaying headlights off when ignition is shut
Sensitivty of auto headlights turning on
Tilt Steering (on/off)
Old 12-03-05, 08:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

One of the biggest advantage of the GX's DRL is that it is orange, it is much more noticeable than the white in the fog and rain. I have never try to replace the DRL bulb on the GX before, I am assuming that it is twist on/off base like any other signal light bulb. You would have to take off the radiator's plastic cover to get to it. I am changing my out headlight bulb next week, I will take a look and investigate how to replace the DRL and I will get back to you with.
Old 12-03-05, 01:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

To change the DRL/Turn Signal bulb on the Drivers side requires the battery be removed. No big deal, except all the vehicles memory settings are lost. (Radio Station, seat, mirrors, homelink, power windows and sunroof safety settings, etc.)
Old 12-03-05, 09:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
To change the DRL/Turn Signal bulb on the Drivers side requires the battery be removed. No big deal, except all the vehicles memory settings are lost. (Radio Station, seat, mirrors, homelink, power windows and sunroof safety settings, etc.)
I actually change the low beam, H11, bulb, without removing the battery, I believe the DRL bulb is not as long as the H11, so it should be able to be replace without removing the battery. Somewhere on this board, there is a thread about how to reset the auto power windows and the sun roof , and it take about 10 minutes to do.
Old 12-04-05, 05:40 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Restting the power windows AFTER the battery is removed is also FOUND in the DIY Xenon Depot guide:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=Xenondepot

I say this is another reason why this thread should be a sticky!!! There is so much info in the one thread!!!
Old 12-04-05, 08:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I read that one too, it was a good thread by Tony. I follow his instruction as to how to remove the plastic covers, but since I wasn't mounting any ballast, I didnt have to remove the battery. Those plastic fasteners are two piece attach together. Be real careful with those. When I try to put one of them back in, half of one pop right out and drop into the engine compartment. I never did find it but luckily my dealer gave me couple of them for free.
Old 11-02-07, 07:15 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Awesome post! Who new something like not unlocking all the doors could be so annoying. Thanks

Quick Reply: Setting the door lock function