GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacing the whole suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 06:55 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing the whole suspension

Well after months of reading tons of posts about air bags, OEM shocks, matching up 4Runner shocks, etc. I finally bit the bullet and scheduled my Truck to have all 4 shocks replaced and the air suspension swapped out with a spring kit...

I thought I would post this and follow up afterwards for anyone who is as torn as I was about staying OEM, replacing with a kit, trying to use other truck OEM shocks, etc. Even though there is a ton of info on this forum, its still pretty confusing and I was really hesitant for the longest time.

So, I ended up going to a local Jeep mechanic close by called "Jeeper's Den". My brother in law has used them for his Jeep and said they seemed reasonable.

They originally quoted me an Arnott rear shock and spring conversion kit and Arnott front shocks. WIth 6 hours of expected labor (they will adjust if less time is needed) the total cost was going to come out to $2100. This was much higher than I expected and to be honest it was within the $2600 Lexus quoted me for just replacing the 4 shocks with OEM. (My Air system isn't necessarily bad at this time.)

I had them look at the "Strutmasters" kit which like the Arnott comes with good reviews and lifetime warranty. This ended up putting the total cost out the door at $1300! This was a no brainer for me...

So basically I am getting Arnott (Re-branded Bilsteins) shocks up front and Strutmasters Shocks and springs in the back.

I know its not going to ride like it did when I first got the truck, but I have been dealing with a lot of bounce and bottoming out for so long now that I figure anything will be better than what I have now!

I only intend to keep the truck until I hit 300k miles (I have 250k miles right now.

I'll post an update when its all over so other members can know what to expect. $1300 while unexpected, is so much better than the possible $6k Lexus would want for all 4 shocks and replacing the air stuff! I'm really excited!

Links:

Arnott Front Shocks:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/

Strutmasters Read Spring and shock "Kit":
http://www.strutmasters.com/products...ion-kit-te1rb/

P.S.
I know a lot of people have done this themselves and I feel I am capable, but it just seems like way too much work for me to do in the Florida heat. Also ripping out the Air bag system and compressing "Springs" doesn't sound all that much fun either... For $500 I'll let the shop do it! LOL
Old 10-09-15, 08:52 AM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks

Thank you for posting this. I'm very interested. Everything is still really great in my 2007 but when the time comes I'll probably do something similar. I am not super handy so I'll be taking it somewhere as well. I will be checking back regularly.
Old 10-09-15, 09:56 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're going with factory height springs, it's as simple as removing the bag and installing the conversion kit and spring. No spring compressor necessary. They literally just pop right in.
Edit; never mind, you're doing fronts too. Duh.
Old 10-09-15, 10:25 AM
PhilthyLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....aaaaand subscribed.

Hope it all goes smoothly and that you're satisfied with your choice!

Good luck!
Old 10-19-15, 01:57 PM
Aramis
Rookie

Well for all those who were interested in my adventure - I got my truck back today!

Funny story - while paying the shop they told me that the mechanics in back were shocked (excuse the pun) that I was ripping the air bags out and putting in springs, aftermarket kit etc. She kept saying "you know it won't ride like a new Lexus with air ride right?" As you can imagine this got me a bit nervous and I started questioning my decision.

Anyway, long story short the ride is FANTASTIC compared to the crap I had prior... Its literally like riding on clouds for me at this point. I am so happy I can't even express it... I can totally drive this for another year or two so long as nothing else major happens.

Details:
Shop said they called but Bilsteins stated they don't make shocks for the GX anymore. So I approved the Arnotts instead for roughly $60 more each side in the fronts.
Total cost out the door was $1200 including parts, labor and tax. (They did it in 5 hours so took off one hour of labor.)
Back sits higher than the front by a couple inches, but I am hoping this comes down once it settles. If not the shop said they will help me. (Not a deal breaker by any stretch actually...)

So there you have it! Anyone considering on their old GX can be assured that at least I am happy with it so far!

Any questions feel free to ask.

P.S.
I have a 2k mile road trip coming up with the whole family this week and will let you know how it did if anyone is interested.
Old 10-19-15, 05:30 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Aramis
Anyway, long story short the ride is FANTASTIC compared to the crap I had prior... Its literally like riding on clouds for me at this point. .
Could you give a little more description about how the ride has changed?
Old 10-20-15, 03:39 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow, sounds like a good deal...front shocks, rear Strutmaster kit and labor for 1200?!
Old 10-20-15, 11:43 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexRex
Could you give a little more description about how the ride has changed?
Absolutely - Before the work I was bottoming out over speed bumps and the smallest imperfections in the road would make the truck shudder. In fact, I commented to my wife that it had gotten so bad that I was bracing myself when running over painted lines and arrows in the roads that were raised even a little...

After the swap its as smooth as butter. Honestly - the bumps are still there but so muffled / minor that its comparable to anybody's new vehicle I have been in recently. I can take on speed bumps at speed again (No not racing, but 10 mph?) and just coast right over them.

No warning lights on the dash.

I couldn't be happier honestly.