GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Questions before I install lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 12:34 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before I install lift

Im on the verge of installing my suspension lift plus the MT rear conversion kit, hopefully this weekend, I was hoping to find an exact list of the tools needed and possibly a guide to installing. I've installed a few suspension kits on trucks and cars before so Im somewhat familiar with the process, I just don't want to run into any unexpected issues or runs to the parts store for more tools. I have a pretty good selection of tools but may invest in some ratcheting wrenches as Ive heard they are pretty helpful with this install.

Also, I plan on running 285/70/17 BFG AT KO2's on Tundra split spoke wheels (15mm offset I believe), how much rubbing will I have? Im assuming I will atleast need to trim some fender linings? The suspension kit is a 3" lift for the front and rear.

Sorry I have searched but there just isnt a ton of definitive answers on the GX platform.

Teaser pic of whats to come;

Cheers!
Old 10-06-15, 01:45 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I don't have a great answer for you, but you could expand your search to 4th gen 4Runners and FJ Cruiser's, and you should be able to find several good DIY's threads on suspension installs on the 120 platform.

The front should all be the same save for the e-adj. shocks, and your rear conversion is kind of uncharted waters in comparison, but some 4th gen 4Runner Ltd. guys might have documented the work already.
Old 10-06-15, 02:01 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Thanks for the response Ian! Definitely going to reference the 4th Gen/FJ lift installations, the rear doesn't seem that bad, just maybe a little tricky removing the airbags.
Old 10-06-15, 03:02 PM
NR04
Rookie

I installed my Fox CO about two years and had to remove them recently to get them re-valved so my memory should be fresh.

For the front, you will need your regular 3/8 and 1/2 metric sockets, wrenches, torque wrench and a good ball joint puller. Here are the steps I remember.

1) Raise vehicle and remove sway bar connection (better droop)
2) Remove OEM wire harness for adjustable shocks
3) Remove three bolts on top for strut assembly
4) place jack under the lower control arm and remove the ball joint on upper control arm - UCA should spring up.
5) slowly lower the jack and remove tension
6) Remove bottom bolt
7) May have to use a crow bar to push down the lower control arm and remove the strut assembly

Reverse step for installation
You should also get it aligned after and ask them to loosen all control arm bushings and re-tighten them with the new height.

Rear Suspension
1) Remove air lines - (I think having a OEM tool would be the best. I got frustrated without the tool and ended up just cutting them)
2) Simply remove the air bags
3) Using spring compressor, install the coil springs with upper rubber mount and place it on MT adaptor
You will also need to remove sways to allow enough articulation.

4709 SNC did a good write up on this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...n-build-4.html

Good luck!
Old 10-06-15, 03:47 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

For me, getting the washer and nut on the bottom rear perch was the biggest PITA. I ended up using some silicone and sticking the washer to the bottom of the perch and using a wrench to hold the nut. The rear isn't that bad if you don't have rust to deal with.
Old 10-06-15, 03:51 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Thanks for the advice NR04 and BlackCat! My buddy is helping me install it, definitely going to just cut the air lines in the rear.
Old 10-06-15, 03:52 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Also what about shock isolators?
Old 10-06-15, 04:09 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatAdams
Also what about shock isolators?
You mean bushings, or?
Old 10-06-15, 04:33 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Not bushings, but I had read somewhere about using shock isolators but Im thinking now that they are included in the lift kit...