GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Headlights for sport package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 08:29 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlights for sport package?

So I have an 05 gx470 and I want to install blacked out after market headlights. I found these on ebay and was wondering if they fit as they say they are for the sport package.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231038870346
Old 10-05-15, 06:40 AM
TRY666
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morphyne
So I have an 05 gx470 and I want to install blacked out after market headlights. I found these on ebay and was wondering if they fit as they say they are for the sport package.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231038870346
They fit. Probably not as well as your OEM HL's. I don't understand why you want to take your quality OEM LH's off for some aftermarket 'OEspec' headlights just cause they are "smoked".

Atleast they look OEM and aren't all ricer looking with halo's or 3 projectors orwhatever but I guarantee they are of China quality being how cheap they are.

To each their own I guess.
Old 10-05-15, 09:29 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could keep the OEM's and add night shade to them...but, then the light output goes down...
Old 10-05-15, 03:59 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive read posts I believe on here where the aftermarket headlights (depo I think) provided a sharper cutoff than the oem ones. OEM headlights are nice, but they are in some cases over ten years old, cant hurt to try other products when headlight technology has surely improved since then.

TRY666- Please stop with the universal remarks of "OMG ITS NOT OEM, THEREFORE ITS CHINESE, THEREFORE ITS CRAP AND WILL BREAK!" It adds nothing to the forum. Quality products can and do come out of countries other than Japan and the US...
Old 10-05-15, 05:22 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatAdams
Ive read posts I believe on here where the aftermarket headlights (depo I think) provided a sharper cutoff than the oem ones. OEM headlights are nice, but they are in some cases over ten years old, cant hurt to try other products when headlight technology has surely improved since then.

TRY666- Please stop with the universal remarks of "OMG ITS NOT OEM, THEREFORE ITS CHINESE, THEREFORE ITS CRAP AND WILL BREAK!" It adds nothing to the forum. Quality products can and do come out of countries other than Japan and the US...
I either used depot or TYC on my 3rd gen 4 Runner when I did my projector retrofit and they were great. I've been thinking of ordering the sport lights for my GX, I can buff them crystal clear but they fog again fairly quickly. Plus I think the sport lights are cooler looking. Plus the depot ones are 1/4 the cost of OEM ones.
Old 10-05-15, 09:07 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I've really been considering the sport ones to freshen up my front end and the price is easy on the wallet for sure
Old 10-06-15, 07:08 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Depo is a pretty good brand as far as aftermarket headlights are concerned, I used a set for the projector retrofit on my Land Cruiser as they have glass lenses, and low/high reflector bowls, but the actual housing is just not up to OEM level quality.
Old 10-06-15, 07:16 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Depo is a pretty good brand as far as aftermarket headlights are concerned, I used a set for the projector retrofit on my Land Cruiser as they have glass lenses, and low/high reflector bowls, but the actual housing is just not up to OEM level quality.
Ya, I forgot to mention I reused my OEM housings when doing my conversion. The other ones were very flimsy.
Old 10-07-15, 09:04 AM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Depot Headlight enclosures. I personally didnt see any difference in quality between them and my OEMs! (Except I went with sport package for the replacement...) Mind you, my OEMs were 12 years old...
Old 10-13-15, 01:53 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRY666
They fit. Probably not as well as your OEM HL's. I don't understand why you want to take your quality OEM LH's off for some aftermarket 'OEspec' headlights just cause they are "smoked".

Atleast they look OEM and aren't all ricer looking with halo's or 3 projectors orwhatever but I guarantee they are of China quality being how cheap they are.

To each their own I guess.
Sorry, i should have clarified. MY OEMs are yellowed and when I went to restore them the urathane was streaked. so the car looks great from 2 feet and beyond but when you get close, you can tell. and that bugs me.
Old 10-13-15, 07:41 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Morphyne
Sorry, i should have clarified. MY OEMs are yellowed and when I went to restore them the urathane was streaked. so the car looks great from 2 feet and beyond but when you get close, you can tell. and that bugs me.
Maybe we can help you Morphyne. We're a new vendor here in CL, and we do Lighting Services, like permanent headlight restoration, projector retrofit, projector lens upgrade and custom headlights and tail lights. Please visit our website for more info on our work or message us.

http://www.OrganizedGarageStatus.com

Thank you!
Old 10-14-15, 05:18 AM
TRY666
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
Maybe we can help you Morphyne. We're a new vendor here in CL, and we do Lighting Services, like permanent headlight restoration, projector retrofit, projector lens upgrade and custom headlights and tail lights. Please visit our website for more info on our work or message us.

http://www.OrganizedGarageStatus.com

Thank you!
Wish you guys were local!

That SC looks awesome too.
Old 10-14-15, 05:53 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRY666
Wish you guys were local!

That SC looks awesome too.
You can send us your headlights sir. Our turnaround time is only 5-7 business days and return shipping is included in the pricing. Let us know if that is an option. Thank you!
Old 10-14-15, 06:57 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
You can send us your headlights sir. Our turnaround time is only 5-7 business days and return shipping is included in the pricing. Let us know if that is an option. Thank you!
As good as that is, it's still nearly 2 weeks of real world downtime which isn't going to fly if it's your daily driver. Not a lot of people are keeping a GX around as a toy they don't depend on.
Old 10-14-15, 10:01 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IanB2
As good as that is, it's still nearly 2 weeks of real world downtime which isn't going to fly if it's your daily driver. Not a lot of people are keeping a GX around as a toy they don't depend on.
Good day IanB2,

We perfectly understand that. That is why we have a core exchange program as well, just message us for more info on it. But for those who have no problem sending in their headlights, this is your chance to improve your lighting!

On a side note, one thing to ponder on, although people tend to neglect their aging headlights, even though it is giving them a hard time driving at night, not to mention that it is unsafe for you and other people on the road, if this particular part was, let's say your engine or transmission, you would still bring your vehicle to a shop even if it was a 1-2 weeks of downtime. We hope we don't offend anyone in saying that.

Thank you and have a great day!

Last edited by Organized Garage Status; 10-14-15 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Headlights for sport package?