GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clear coat peeling - What can I do?

Old 09-21-15, 12:58 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Clear coat peeling - What can I do?

On the hood, just beyond the 3M plastic covering is a small, silver-dollar sized area where the clear coat on the paint has begun to deteriorate and peel back leaving the paint exposed.
Has anyone seen this before? What kind of disturbing thing is this?
Attached Thumbnails Clear coat peeling - What can I do?-img_9381.jpg   Clear coat peeling - What can I do?-img_9380.jpg  
Old 09-21-15, 01:34 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Likely from a stone chip. To fix it, you'd need to have the hood repainted. I don't know of any quick/cheap fixes for that kind of damage.
Old 09-21-15, 07:37 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Agree. Strip entire hood down to bare metal and repaint.

When you see paint peeling like that on a Toyota/Lexus, you have to wonder if it has been repainted before.
Old 09-22-15, 05:49 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Likely from a stone chip. To fix it, you'd need to have the hood repainted. I don't know of any quick/cheap fixes for that kind of damage.
^^^ most likely a rock chip on the highway took off a chunk of the clear and then it slowly started to peel back from where it was exposed... this happened on my old car and the only correct way to fix would be to respray the entire hood...
Old 09-22-15, 08:25 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kamlung
^^^ most likely a rock chip on the highway took off a chunk of the clear and then it slowly started to peel back from where it was exposed... this happened on my old car and the only correct way to fix would be to respray the entire hood...
Great

Well, it's off to get an estimate at Doug's Place...

Thanks for your feedback, fellow forumists.
Old 01-09-16, 08:56 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is 2007 original factory Blizzard Pearl and it's peeling on the roof and around the windows trim. I called Lexus last week and schedule to take it to the nearest Lexus dealer this Monday. I've own Toyota and Lexus all my life and this is the first which is not Lexus/Toyota quality like. I'll update what Lexus have to say once I find out.
Old 02-23-16, 03:07 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's sad to see how Lexus is saying to their customer screw you because your Lexus vehicle is out of the 4 years or 50,000 miles warranty on the paint even if they know it's a defect. I finally got a called from Lexus today and they say that they can't honor it because it's out of warranty. Despite knowing that it's probably a defect paint job from the factory, they want to use technicality with the years and miles. They even know I've own lots of Toyota and Lexus, they basically say they don't give a damn about it. I'm so pissed and can't really do anything about it. So sad and this might make me think of other company besides Toyota or Lexus if I ever want another car someday. I believe Lexus should change their slogan from "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" to "Relentless Pursuit of Rejection" at all cost.
Old 02-29-16, 09:29 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

When I went to a reputable body shop to get an estimate for the hood that's when I found out that the hood was not factory. It had been replaced by the previous owner after a small front corner fender-bender. The shop says you'll never get as good as factory with paint and finish. This is from a shop that has all the business for Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and other "high-end" cars in our town.
The best solution, in my case, would be to find another undamaged hood of the same paint code and just replace it. So, if anyone knows of a wrecked, black GX470 with a good hood...let me know!
Old 02-29-16, 10:55 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The shop says you'll never get as good as factory with paint and finish.
This is true. The local paint shops don't have the infrared heaters to bake the paint (one reason why factory paint shops can cost $900mm to build). And if they did, they'd have problems with melting any plastic parts they just taped-off instead of removing.

Chip H.