GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus Dealer called, new dashboard is in to replace cracked GX470 dash, tips for you

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 08:51 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer called, new dashboard is in to replace cracked GX470 dash, tips for you

I just got a voicemail left by my local dealer JM Lexus, telling me that my free cracked dashboard replacement part has arrived! This is very exciting news since I originally got my letter from Lexus corporate back in December of last year informing us about the warranty enhancement.

My appointment is 9 AM tomorrow morning finally, and they are giving us a loaner vehicle too.

You might recall I posted a few months ago our blog article about the latest roll out schedule from Toyota and Lexus as to which models are being done when:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...ty-repairs.htm

And if you have not already gotten on the list for your cracked dashboard warranty at your local Lexus dealer, you need to get on it ASAP.

For that you need to read our other article "Update with Tips on Toyota, Lexus Cracked Dash Warranty Repair"
with everything you need to know to get your dashboard repaired, and to make sure you're on the list here:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...sh-repairs.htm

They had started with the ES models, and so I assume they have finished working on all the ES models on their list and have now started on the GX models.

Last edited by JeffO; 09-16-15 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 06:14 PM
IndyGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jeff. How long after you got your name on the list, did it take to get your dash replacement at the dealership?
Old 09-17-15, 07:34 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

I had called my local Lexus dealer the last week of June to see about getting on the list.
They said there were about 50 people before me at the time.

I just dropped off my car today and they took photos of the dash and completed a check list of documentation that they have to send back to Lexus.

The dealer gave us an RX SUV for a loaner while they do our repair, which they said could be done today or tomorrow.

The dealer also informed me that on our GX470, the dashboard would have been a $2400 part if we had to buy it..
Old 09-17-15, 08:28 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

congrats on the replacement... it's going to feel like a brand new car... once you get the new dashboard home, put on some UV protectant on it like Aerospace 303 to keep it nice.

you are going to be begging for you GX back after driving that RX around... i hate how rough the RX rides compared to our trucks...
Old 09-17-15, 08:43 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

They took a picture, ordered the dash, only took a couple of weeks. They took longer than one day and had to keep it overnight.
I drive a 2014 es350 loaner, the rear seat has more legroom than the gx, but the ride was very rough.

I don't see any noise or issues.. the previous passenger put adhesives, carried lumber or put their shoes gouging the dash so you can say I am quite happy with a new one.

The SA told me they have only seen a small percentage of gx/rx overall with cracked dash
Old 09-17-15, 09:15 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Kamlung, The dealer gave me a 2015 RX 350 loaner, and I actually thought the drive was quite smooth. This car was built in January of this year.

I enclosed a photo of it here. In my case, they already had the dashboard part in house before they called me, I don't know why for some people their dealers are having them come in and photograph the dash first then you have to wait.

In my case we got on the list at our local dealer in the last week of June, and they did everything by our VIN#, and placed us on the list to order the part. So they were able to just to get our dashboard part in ahead of time without all the nonsense and time wasting because they know our VIN#.

I've always been quite happy with how they do things at JM Lexus, they have a very large and impressive facility, processing literally hundreds of cars a day.

BTW, for my blog post that I am preparing for this whole process, I want to hear from any of you about how smooth your process was, and whether or not the dealer gave you a loaner, so please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Dealer called, new dashboard is in to replace cracked GX470 dash, tips for you-lexus-service-1.jpg  

Last edited by JeffO; 09-17-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 09:25 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am pretty sure you will get some kind of loaner. lexus corporate is paying all expenses.
I didn't do the Letter thing, I asked my dealer shortly after I bought the car used and thats what they did. I am not complaining.

I also had them put in a new glass for the speedometer. Which the previous owner tarnished with a scrotch brite or something. That part I had to pay labor, but it was kind of while they are at it kind of thing. You could DIY that part.
Old 09-18-15, 06:47 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
congrats on the replacement... it's going to feel like a brand new car... once you get the new dashboard home, put on some UV protectant on it like Aerospace 303 to keep it nice.

you are going to be begging for you GX back after driving that RX around... i hate how rough the RX rides compared to our trucks...
It's not that it's rough - it's that the designers wanted "Sporty", so the ride is way firmer than a luxury vehicle should be.

Chip H.
Old 09-26-15, 05:04 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

By the way, here is a BEFORE and After photo I made showing what my Lexus GX470 dashboard looked like it looks so sweet now!

I believe you have to be logged into your user account here on Club Lexus for this photo to show up below:

Also, I wrote a useful blog article for you on how to make sure everything goes smoothly with your dashboard repair at the dealer, from getting your car approved for repair, getting on the dealer's will call listt, to saving time, and items you need to have in order to make this go smoothly for you here:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...-dashboard.htm

Hopefully this can help some of you since I have already seen the light and emerged victoriously on the other side of the tunnel of darkness! the best part of all this is now my SUV just went from 100% unsalable, to having a decent market value, because the dash is in brand new pristine condition. What a roller coaster ride this was.

Last edited by JeffO; 09-26-15 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 06:04 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Now this is funny, the saga sort of continues...

2 weeks after getting our GX470 dashboard replaced by the dealer, Lexus corporate sends me another copy of the original Warranty Enhancement letter that they mailed out to us 10 months ago. that was amusing, but still killing a forest!
Old 10-07-15, 04:41 AM
KenTarmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely need to call your dealer and get on their list. I sat around all summer waiting for my "2nd letter" that never came. Called my dealer about a month ago, got my new dash installed yesterday!
Old 10-07-15, 07:30 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I stopped by again last week. I had previously been told I was on the list, but this visit they took photos, so now it's probably official. Maybe in a month or two...

Chip H.
Old 10-13-15, 11:23 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

I got contacted today by a lady who saw our blog post on our Car Buying Tips site and she said she has been on the waiting list since June originally told it would be 1 month, every month that she has called,

They extend that out farther and farther. Today she learned she is currently 176 on the list, they are currently servicing number 54.

They receive 4 dashes per week, which if you remember your college advanced calculus, should take 30 weeks!
Old 10-16-15, 09:41 AM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeffo Congrats man. I'm happy for you.
In my case is not my dashboard that is cracking. But rather the wood trim on the front doors and on around the console . I have a 2008.

Do you think the dealer would replace it for free ?

thanks
rbx10
Old 10-16-15, 01:41 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

rbx10 ,

That's a good question as to whether Lexus will cover your wood trim failures.

What you want to do is go to your local Lexus dealer and talk to the service manager, sometimes manufacturers have what we call secret warranties that they don't advertise, but if you bring in your car and they take photos and get authorized, they might approve the repair.

This happened with me back in 1994 with my 1988 Trans AM GTA, the paint had faded and I was long out of warranty on that car, and someone saw my faded paint and alerted me to the secret warranty from Pontiac. I did not believe them, but gave it a shot.

I took it to the Pontiac dealer and they shot photos of the paint, got approval in a week, and my 6 year old Trans AM was painted for free, and looked brand new. I am hoping you would enjoy a similar blessing on your Lexus wood trim.

But the answer will definitely be no if you don't go to find out. I would also call Lexus corporate customer service and ask them if they have any program to covert he cost of your repair.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer called, new dashboard is in to replace cracked GX470 dash, tips for you