GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

coil springs WILL NOT fit.

Old 08-19-15, 05:56 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default coil springs WILL NOT fit.

So this suspension conversion has turned out to be quite the massive undertaking, alot more difficult that other vehicles i have done in the past.... i got yet another question for the guys who have done it:

All the original parts are gone, and it''s time to get the new 4runner springs and shocks on... however, I can't for the life of me, get the 4runner springs to fit in between the axle and the frame.

I have the metal tech perch kit, and even tried unbolting them from the axle, and there still is not enough room... the two coil spring compressors I've tried didn't work, because the ones that go on the outside of the coils end up being longer than the springs, which doesn't allow fitment, and the ones that compress the coil from the inside don't work because the spring isolators take up nearly half of the space on the inside of the spring.

The axle is lowered down as far as it will go, and both the brake lines and the ABS wiring still have plenty of slack in them... however, even with the axle totally unsupported, it seems to magically levitate with nothing holding it except for the suspension links.. even pushing down on it doesn't allow it to move.

What the hell is going on here? My big question is how do people fit the larger lift springs, if i can't even get the stock 4runner ones in? Does this required complete removal of the rear axle to work? because that is the last plan of attack, I can't think of any other way to do it....

Last edited by YoshiMan; 08-19-15 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 06:13 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sway bar? Both shocks off?
Old 08-19-15, 06:15 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Both shocks are off, is the sway bar my culprit??? Seems like it still has play, but that could be the case..
Old 08-19-15, 06:17 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

The sway bar held me up quite a bit. Also I put the metal tech kit in the spring, then put the spring on. Bolting on the metal tech kit after the spring was in place.
Old 08-19-15, 06:19 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

I'm laying under mine looking up at everything, there really isn't much else I can see that would be in your way.don't forget to make sure the height sensors are disconnected
Old 08-19-15, 06:28 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't installed coils on a GX, but have lifted plenty other Toyotas. Usually you can put a bottle jack on top of the axle and push it down on one side. Watch the brake line and ABS wire. ^^ ditto on the height sensors.
Old 08-19-15, 06:48 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Yeah, the height sensors are gone, and i just now went and unbolted the sway bar.. it's got a little more give,a nd if i had a second person pushing the axle down, i JUST MIGHT be able to get those in.... looks like the Girlfriend is coming to my rescue this weekend! ha ha!
Old 08-19-15, 06:53 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

as LexRex said, the bottle jack trick works well!
Old 08-21-15, 11:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the bottle jack is a little dangerous, if it slips off you better not have your hands near that coil you are trying to pop in there, also make sure the car is not lifting on the other side when you are doing the bottle jack trick or your GX might just end up off the jackstands.

I have popped springs on and off a 100 series landcruiser which is practically identical (actually a taller spring went back in so it was tougher), and I used the coil spring compressors on the outside on them. you have to put them where you can still tighten and un-tighten the compressors without hitting the body. its tricky but basically one coil spring compressor will end up on one side of the axle, and the other on the other side.

the way toyota rear springs are (they havent changed over the years except the diamter slightly and thicness of the metal in the coils) one of the compressors will be hooked on longer than the other one and when compressing the coil will sort of lean to one side. thats ok and the lean actually makes shoving it in and pulling it out easier, but dont do it enough that it wants to pop out, tighten evenly on both sides.

pull the shocks out of the way, they normally hit the spring compressors at some point.
also if you do the bottle jack trick you will want to make sure they are off before that.

I would suggest at least compressing the springs a little bit, without doing that yeah its a tough job, if you are that close that should be the last little bit.
it also helps to have a second set of hands wiggle it into place and a small crow bar (the flat kind) for helping pop it in, and can never forget my most used suspension adjustment tool (AKA large rubber mallet).

I never work on a suspension without my adjustment tool handy
Old 08-21-15, 04:22 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

I'm just wondering, which springs are you using? OME? ARB? I didn't have to compress mine at all. The literally slid right in.
Old 08-23-15, 12:16 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

I'm using OEM 4Runner springs off of a 2004 model with a V8.

Ali SC3, i may have to go and try those compressors again if i can;t get them on tommorow.. it's gonna be my first day off so i can take another stab at it...
Old 08-23-15, 06:07 AM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

That's really weird I don't know what could be holding you up. I used OME heavy constant load springs which should be taller than yours and even harder to compress. Yet mine slid right in. There just has to be something else that you're missing as far as getting that axle to come down further. What part of Colorado are you in? If it's not that far it might be worth a road trip to figure this out.

Last edited by IncgntoLex; 08-23-15 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 01:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the bushings in the suspension links can keep it from wanting to travel too much (if they are still holding together),
the idea is that they are torqued at ride height and any twisting to a different position from that makes them want to return (untwist).
I think the bushings do wear out over time of if they are over extended, then it will be much easier to push the axle down I figure, and if your bushings are fully intact it could seem like they are magically levitating the axle cause they are trying to keep it at the stock angle they were tightened down at (plus the sag in the bushing).

if you use the bottle jack try not to do any more than necessary, you can guess which bushings they are putting the force on from above.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-24-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 11:03 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

When I did rear springs on my Hilux Surf, I had to loosen some of the bushing attachment points to unbind things and allow the axle to move low enough to get the springs in place. I was working alone for this one. Before doing this though, try having someone stand on the end of the axle with some/all of their weight to see if you can get it to move far enough to get your spring in place. And keep an eye on your brakes hoses, don't damage them from articulating the axle too far!
Old 08-31-15, 11:25 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Alrighty, i got them on about a week ago using some unorthodox methods. I basically screwed the lugnuts back on, and had someone stand on them while i jammed the springs in, there was just BARELY enough room, but i was able to get them in on both sides.

I'm surprised at how well the truck still rides.. using OEM 4Runner shocks as well... and i can't tell a difference.

Even took it for some minor off road action and abused it a bit to test everything out. no weird noises, and I haven't had any of the bottoming out issues even with some pretty hard bumps. Now it's time to throw the KYB's on the fronts, which i'm guessing will be much more forgiving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coil springs WILL NOT fit.