GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Would You Buy 2007 GX 470 with 115K Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 08:17 AM
gweechie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would You Buy 2007 GX 470 with 115K Miles?

Hello,

I must first say that this is a very impressive community of owners and I have already learned a lot reading through some threads. I am looking at picking up a 2007 GX 470 from a dealer with 115K miles on it. The goal is to own it for the next 10+ years as the "family car" that we will drive forever and ever. I do not yet have a CarFax on it and will know more on that in a few days. I read a previous thread about 2006 GX 460 that was very informative. I also looked at the TSBs for these models and there are few (like 20 for this model compared to 230 for a Chevy Tahoe the same year).

A few questions:

1. Is 2007 a very reliable model year for the GX 470?
2. What typically goes wrong with a well maintained GX 470 at 115K miles?
3. What should I be on the lookout for when I negotiate with the dealer?
4. Considering this model is discontinued, how hard is it to find parts?
5. Are repairs more expensive because it is discontinued?

Thanks again, this is a very helpful forum.

Darren
Old 08-12-15, 08:49 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I bought mine with 158k on it, so yes, i would definetelly buy one with 115k!

to answer your other questions:

1: All the GX's are extremely reliable. They are built on the same platform as the 4Runner, and Toyota trucks are some of the best engineered vehicles on the face of the earth in my opinion.

2: The only real problematic area on these is the rear air suspension components. with time, they start to leak, and the shocks weaken and allow the rear end to bottom out. To fix it with original parts is VERY expensive, but you can get the rear end converted to regular coil springs and shocks with ease, which is the silver bullet for that problem. There are various kits available on the internet for this, or you can piece it together yourself.

Also, see if you can find out if the engines timing belt has been done. Service specs recommend it be done every 90,000 miles, although they can last quite awhile before they will actually break. If the truck is a good price with that low of miles, you could always take it in and get it done after buying it. Toyota dealers and service centers will do it for MUCH less than Lexus will, since it's the same engine used in the Tundra and 4Runner.

3: a very bouncey feeling rear end is all i can really think of, it should ride really smooth, and not feel like it's going "boing boing boing", might be a sign of air suspension problems, which you probably could use to your advantage to knock the price down. Also, just living on the east coast, may not be a bad idea just the glance under and look for excessive corrosion. These are not known for rusting, but depending on where it's lived, and what it was used for.....

4:The sold alot of GX's, and even zillions more Tacomas, Tundras, 4Runners, and FJ Cruisers, which this shares parts with. I can still get just about everything for my 89 4runner, and that body style has been out of production for 26 years.

5: No, in fact, these are very easy to work on in my opinion. And do research before getting repairs done, as there is alot of stuff that can be corrected using a cost effective method, rather than letting the shop gouge you for doing it "by the book"
Old 08-12-15, 03:08 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

check radiator for leaks. listen for clunk noise from rear for drive shaft issues. Secondary smog pump is an issue but can be bypasses easily and cheaply. These trucks are built to last and the problems listed are fairly cheap and easy to fix
Old 08-12-15, 05:24 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check wheels for corrosion. If it lived up north the suspension sensors, etc. may be affected as well. Also when looking for my 2005 I came across one that had a 5 year long history of battery problems, and was dead when I saw it.
What I did was look at advertisements from reputable dealers. When you find one, usually the advertisement listing will have the VIN listed. Go to Lexus.com and put it in as your car and look at prior maintenance history. That will tell you if it was serviced at a dealer, and what has been done (according to Lexus). It may not yield much but may give some background (like the battery problem). If it looks good I would go see it.
Today it is very frustrating because dealers strip all records from the vehicle because they don't want to be sued for revealing personal identifiable information (PII) from the previous owner. Hence no service records. If you can find a cream puff from an individual that has all the records it would be nice.
Funny thing - They all forget to clear out the GPS where the previous owner had "Home" programmed. I could drive right to the guys house!

Last edited by bbrowncods; 08-12-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 05:03 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

and use the garage opener to go inside. lmao
Old 08-17-15, 10:14 AM
chreesto
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Would I?

Yes! In fact I just did. I purchased a one-owner (california) 2007 ash-blue-mica with 119K miles. The suspension seems perfect. I'm not sure if the lack of exposure to salt is the reason but I spent a long time underneath the vehicle and it seems pristine. I can see that it was well-maintained but I can't see the exact service records SO I'm going to take it to my trusted mechanic and have the timing belt and 120k service done. Once that's completed I'll feel a lot more comfortable and have a place to start so that I can keep its maintenance up to date.
Old 08-17-15, 11:13 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chreesto
Yes! In fact I just did. I purchased a one-owner (california) 2007 ash-blue-mica with 119K miles. The suspension seems perfect. I'm not sure if the lack of exposure to salt is the reason but I spent a long time underneath the vehicle and it seems pristine. I can see that it was well-maintained but I can't see the exact service records SO I'm going to take it to my trusted mechanic and have the timing belt and 120k service done. Once that's completed I'll feel a lot more comfortable and have a place to start so that I can keep its maintenance up to date.
I have a 145k mile 03. The only repairs that have ever been done out of warranty was to have a transfer case leak fixed, the radiator replaced, and new front calipers. My truck still has all of its original air suspension components, and it's been in Wisconsin and IL nearly it's whole life, aside from a year in Nevada when it was new. I off road mine as well, it's been off road in Colorado, Utah, Oregon, California, Montana, and Wyoming, just to name a few places, so I haven't been easy on it either. I don't think it's possible to own a more reliable truck.
Old 08-17-15, 03:00 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I did a little search for the suspension cost,
it seems the air bag to replace are around $250 each side.
However what cause a bigger alert is the shock absorbers, fronts are $250 (ok will go with that) but rears are $500, each side.
Overall you can expect $2k to overhaul all 4 shocks and 2 bags, plus maybe $500-$600 for both sensors that are needed.
This is parts only no labor.

They are not going to all fail at the same time, but this is what I gathered from parts diagram.
** this is what I found standard price, local dealer parts dept. price would be usually higher and you can also expect to find a little lower than the price I found. Just giving an average.

It was hard to find pricing and info as the discussion always start to talk about aftermarket and coil spring conversion. I wanted to research into getting the original OEM ride quality should there be a problem, there will be a problem eventually and I have not started to research data of what miles they happen.
Old 08-26-15, 08:34 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I did a little search for the suspension cost,
it seems the air bag to replace are around $250 each side.
However what cause a bigger alert is the shock absorbers, fronts are $250 (ok will go with that) but rears are $500, each side.
Overall you can expect $2k to overhaul all 4 shocks and 2 bags, plus maybe $500-$600 for both sensors that are needed.
This is parts only no labor.

They are not going to all fail at the same time, but this is what I gathered from parts diagram.
** this is what I found standard price, local dealer parts dept. price would be usually higher and you can also expect to find a little lower than the price I found. Just giving an average.

It was hard to find pricing and info as the discussion always start to talk about aftermarket and coil spring conversion. I wanted to research into getting the original OEM ride quality should there be a problJem, there will be a problem eventually and I have not started to research data of what miles they happen.
I spoke too soon, I must've jinxed myself. My suspension air compressor gave up the ghost last week. I'm doing the metal tech coil spring conversion using FJ Cruiser springs and air-lift bags inside them. Can't comment on the ride, I don't have all my parts yet.
Edit; total cost for the conversion is around $450, including tax and shipping. I'm doing the work myself.
Old 08-26-15, 09:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

why are you running air bags inside the springs? which bags? any more info sounds interesting.
Old 08-26-15, 01:54 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
why are you running air bags inside the springs? which bags? any more info sounds interesting.
I tow a small trailer with my ATV and don't want the back to sag when I have it connected. The bags go inside the coils and you fill them with air to raise the vehicle level under those circumstances. It's an airlift kit part number 60809 for a 4th gen 4Runner. This is what It'll look like.
Old 08-26-15, 02:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

pretty nice solution, I like how it easily fits inside the springs. just read about it on amazon.
Old 09-05-15, 08:23 AM
AF275
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 06 with 177k and don't regret it at all. As stated already, the rear bags will be the only expected repair. A lot of older GXs out there were luckily enough to get the rear shock leak before their warranty was up. Mine was one of those.

It's a fantastic chassis.
Old 10-26-15, 08:28 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
As an update, I didn't install the bags when I put the springs in. I decided to do a full Icon system in the spring, so I left them out. For those interested, FJ springs have little to no sag when pulling ~900lbs or so. This is with the Raptor 700 loaded, and the back of the truck full of riding and camping gear.
Name:  545D2067-8AE6-4A9A-962A-20C969F2CF8F_zpsqek4y23a.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  374.8 KB
Old 10-29-15, 08:53 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow 08 has a better interior.

If you have not bought one yet. Check 2008 which has updated interior with Nicer wood color and lighter ivory/tan leather.

Also some other cosmetic differences like Silver Strip on the back door. Better looking Tail Lights and Dark Graphite finish on Wheels.

Last edited by sheikhmax; 10-29-15 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Would You Buy 2007 GX 470 with 115K Miles?