GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Desperate for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 04:18 PM
Aramis
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Desperate for Advice

Hello,
I have been stalking this forum for a really long time and have learned so much from it.

My truck is a 2003 with 240k miles on it. I have loved this truck since the day I got it CPO and have had so few issues with it that my staff at work are simply baffled at how nice it is with the mileagle.

To date I have only done the following:
  • 120k Service (Twice - once by dealer and once by a regular mechanic.)
  • Breaks, Tires and Calipers - too many times to count.
  • Replaced all four wheel bearings (Did the rears easily myself thank to this forum but had a mechanic do the fronts thanks to this forum... Chose a "kit" for the rears that made it easy to do in my garage and very reasonably priced. 200k miles.)
  • Replaced Radiator with Aftermarket (Did this myself thanks to this forum at around 220k miles)
  • Replaced Head Gasket (Again myself thanks to this forum at 220k miles)
  • Replaced Headlights with Sport Aftermarket (Again myself thanks to this forum at 235k miles.)
  • Refurbished front seat leather and replaced floor mats. (Outsourced - crappy job on leather but still looks better than it did.)
  • Replaced a front door speaker and the insanely expensive Subwoofer at the dealer... (I have ML Navi so aftermarket was not an option.)
  • Replaced all internal lights, running board lights and license plate lights with dirt cheap LED lights off of Am
azon. Super cheap and very easy. I love them. (Yes again thanks to this forum...)

Overall, I think the old girl has held up really well for 240k miles! Its only recently that the ride quality has begun to suffer - before that my truck drove better than any new American car on the road!

So after all of that - I have read so much on Shocks / Suspensions on this forum. I am still at a loss honestly. I feel the Truck floating around and bumps could now cause some to become seasick...

After all I have read, it doesn't apear to be the air bag system. I do notice that running more than I used to, but that might just be me paying more attention now. The truck is ALWAYS sitting perfectly flat with no leaning.

That leaves me with the shocks. No doubt all 4 are bad at this point> At 240k I am sure I have gotten my money out of them. The only problem - Lexus wants $2400 to replace all 4. I just cant see that on a Truck thats only worth $10k on its best day and something I may only keep another year or two...

Options:
  • So we have Arnotts - Pretty expensive still really and many say they are just rebranded Bilstein 4600s.
  • We have Bilstein 4600's or 5100's all around but many say Toyota OEMs for $80 a piece are just as good / might be a better ride, though require some work to get them on.
Do I use the "Sport / Comfort" crap - no way. I live in Orlando... That sucker has never been used - EVER.

I'm honestly at a loss. I don't have a clear enough picture for the first time with my Truck to make an educated decision. So I guess I would like to take a poll if anyone would like to help - What would you do?

Considerations:
  • There is no Off-roading in Florida - its flat as hell.
  • I have to take clients out and show up at client offices so "Lifting" and throwing massive tires is likely of of the question. (I'd still consider it if I could do it tastefully, but I am not sure I have the time to figure out lift heights, tire / rim sizes, etc...)
  • Even though I love this truck I see myself being forced to get a newer vehicle within the next couple years.
  • I am worried if I rip OEM shocks and bags out and do a full convert potential buyers may want those
features for towing a boat...

Anyway, I know this is a huge post and sorry for the "Wall of Text"... Im just totally confused as to what to do. My best guess at this point is to just buy OEM rears for about $900 and install myself. (Looks easy.) Still a ton of money and could be leaned easily towards cheap 4Runner shocks all around...

Thanks for ANY input guys...
Old 08-08-15, 03:50 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

You can do what I did, Toyota OEM shocks in the back, takes about 30 minutes in your driveway.
For the fronts, I put Monroe Quick Struts that were for the same year 4Runner. Gives me a fantastic, luxury car ride all around. Total in parts is around $400

I just see no reason to throw thousands on Lexus OEM shocks and struts for a vehicle with that kind of mileage, especially since the alternative works perfectly fine.

Considering the jobs you've done yourself (like a headgasket) this should be child's play.
Old 08-08-15, 04:39 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ I'm with this guy. If you're not really looking into buying a replacement, as of the moment, its never a loss to fix it. I'm an OEM guy myself, but to certain extent. I try to gauge if the part is I'm buying is crucial to the car itself, to me, and for my use, and go from there. Aftermarket parts, work just as well as the OEM nowadays. Wouldn't last as long, but for the price, you're still getting your money's worth.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to replace the head gasket and wheel bearings? Do those normally go out in these trucks? Cause I never knew that, if so...
Old 08-10-15, 01:18 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put bilsteins on mine...all 4. Ride very nice.
Old 08-10-15, 07:37 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put Billsteins on mine front & back few weeks ago. Adjusted the front at 3/4 inch high for a leveled height and eliminated the rake effect The ride is just as smooth and comfortable as stock...I'd highly recommend these.