GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New GX470 owner suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 11:40 PM
FCSCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GX470 owner suspension questions

Hi there,

Some quick background: I just bought a 2005 GX470 136k miles 2 weeks ago. I am already in love. This is my 3rd vehicle and was chosen for a very specific reason. I drive FJ Cruiser which i bought new (2013) abt 4 months before my wife became pregnant with twins. By this time I already lost my head in wheeling the FJ and was making some mods to enhance wheeling capabilities. Well since then my wheeling habit grew quite a bit and I needed to expand it to a family thing. Not willing to get rid of the FJ I had to find a vehicle that could be a baby mobile, daily driver and a family overlanding monster. Well and here I am.

The GX was a no brainer for me. Coming from South Africa originally I am well familiar with the prado capabilities...and as I am sure you all know...GX = Prado with bling.

So I have a few questions which I sure came up before and yes I have read other threads on suspension. But I wanted to post this with a bit of a different perspective. So I have tested the air suspension and it seems to work just fine. However the shocks feels a bit soft and botoms out in the second comfort setting, the third setting seems better although Iam still to see if it bottoms out there. I have read numerous posts about this topic and understands that Bilsteens might be an option here but now for the question.... When I lifted the FJ I kept the stock suspension strusts and coils and want to know if I could possibly use the FJ's as a replacement for the shocks only at this point? When the airsuspension fails I will consider the coilover conversion and then I have the same question...could I use the FJ coils f&r? I do intend to tow a camping trailer (future aquisition) and could use all the weight capacity I can get.

The FJ was not trail teams adition so it did not come with Bilsteen5100s

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by FCSCruiser; 07-25-15 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 12:58 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FCSCruiser
Hi there,

Some quick background: I just bought a 2005 GX470 136k miles 2 weeks ago. I am already in love. This is my 3rd vehicle and was chosen for a very specific reason. I drive FJ Cruiser which i bought new (2013) abt 4 months before my wife became pregnant with twins. By this time I already lost my head in wheeling the FJ and was making some mods to enhance wheeling capabilities. Well since then my wheeling habit grew quite a bit and I needed to expand it to a family thing. Not willing to get rid of the FJ I had to find a vehicle that could be a baby mobile, daily driver and a family overlanding monster. Well and here I am.

The GX was a no brainer for me. Coming from South Africa originally I am well familiar with the prado capabilities...and as I am sure you all know...GX = Prado with bling.

So I have a few questions which I sure came up before and yes I have read other threads on suspension. But I wanted to post this with a bit of a different perspective. So I have tested the air suspension and it seems to work just fine. However the shocks feels a bit soft and botoms out in the second comfort setting, the third setting seems better although Iam still to see if it bottoms out there. I have read numerous posts about this topic and understands that Bilsteens might be an option here but now for the question.... When I lifted the FJ I kept the stock suspension strusts and coils and want to know if I could possibly use the FJ's as a replacement for the shocks only at this point? When the airsuspension fails I will consider the coilover conversion and then I have the same question...could I use the FJ coils f&r? I do intend to tow a camping trailer (future aquisition) and could use all the weight capacity I can get.

The FJ was not trail teams adition so it did not come with Bilsteen5100s

Thoughts anyone?
I do believe the fj suspension is a direct swap for the 4runner/gx so yes you should be able to use those shocks. But I would need to verify. I know you can use the springs. But I am 99% certain you can use the shocks too.
Old 02-23-16, 05:15 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/05-gx470-build.840463/
Old 02-23-16, 11:58 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a little soft for my liking also. I am going to try and "trick the bags" in the rear to gain a little lift and will make the ride more firm as well. I want to keep the air ride and ability to adjust the ride comfort also.

One thing to consider. Keeping the air bags in the rear will be helpful when towing.
Old 02-23-16, 03:11 PM
FCSCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys