GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Time to lift my GX

Old 07-21-15, 05:04 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to lift my GX

Had the GX for 3 years and now it's time for a lift. I've decided to go with OME coils and Bilstein shocks. My goal is a total of 3 inches all around. I will begin taking measurements of the stock ride height, length of aftermarket and OEM parts as I install them and plan on editing a video guide. Here's what I'm starting with.

Last edited by IncgntoLex; 07-21-15 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 11:10 PM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

Any update? What tire size are you going to put with that amount of lift?
Old 08-17-15, 02:07 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Default Update

Sorry for the delay, Ive been working a lot recently. My plans to make a step by step video of the install fell through when my camera guy drank to excess and passed out on my creeper.

Before and After:

Parts Used:
SPC Light Weight Racing Adjustable UCA's (FJ Cruiser)
Front suspension OME 886 springs (4Runner)
5100 Series front coil over shocks (4Runner)
Front differential drop kit (4Runner)-required different bolts to fit GX470
2 Strut mount kits (GX470)
Rear Suspension OME 897 Springs (4Runner)
Metal Tech Rear Conversion Kit (ask me about how to do a DIY conversion for considerably cheaper)
5100 Series rear shocks (4Runner)
Goodyear Duratrac Tires 265/70/R17

NOTE*- My initial plans were to use a homemade rear conversion kit, I first used this method before using the metal tech kit. I only ordered the metal tech kit so that I could provide first hand knowledge of the quality of the kit to coworkers interested in the conversion. The homemade kit works just as well, however I like the height of the Metal Tech lower locator better than the hockey puck. I started out by taking one of the springs to the local sporting good/hardware store. Asked one of the employees if he had anything round that I could drill through that would fit in the top and bottom of the spring. The result was a hockey puck with hole drilled through, and 1”IDx1-1/8th”OD rubber hose to put on the lower portion of the spring to keep it quiet, for the top we found an inflatable wagon wheel but decided it would not be practical. He told me to try harbor freight as they had a better selection of wheels that were made of metal and solid rubber. Finding this wheel was super easy and already had a hole in the middle for a bolt. After verifying the homemade kit worked I then Installed the Metal Tech kit for the purpose of review. I currently still have the Metal Tech kit installed but would feel comfortable with either set up. I recommend the Metal Tech kit as it comes ready to go with all required hardware and no need to drill out the hockey puck.

When installing the lift it was pretty straight forward, while on level ground I marked the vehicle with a grease pen and measured the vehicle all the way around. I removed the relays and fuses for the air suspension and electric shocks. And placed them in one of the under hood boxes.
[IMG][/IMG]
I began with the rear lift first.
After setting the parking brake and placing wheel chocks on the front, I lifted the rear of the vehicle with a floor jack until the rear tires were off of the ground.
I placed jack stands under the frame rails, removed the rear tires and lowered the rear axle.
Next I removed the nuts securing the Height sensor linkage and the bolts connecting the sway bar to the axle housing.
I supported the weight of the axle with a floor jack, and began removing the shock by attempting to undo the nut at the top. The nut was rusted and would not come undone. Using an oil filter wrench I prevented the shock from spinning and twisted the nut until the top stud of the shock twisted like a tootsie roll and broke off.

I removed the lower shock bolt, disconnected the electronic dampening connector. Using a pair of dikes I cut the connector off of the old shock and put it aside for later. I threw away the old shock, as it was now useless.
With the shock out of the way, the axle was now free to be lowered all the way down.
Looking between the frame rail and body of the vehicle (just above where the top of the tire would have been) a small gold/yellowish metal clip was visible.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Using a long common (flat tip) screwdriver, I applied pressure and slid the clip toward the rear of the vehicle releasing the airbag.
From under the vehicle grabbing ahold of the air bag and pulling down caused the airbag to lower and pulled the excess airline through the top-locating hole.
I was unable to find my airline disconnect tool, so I made my own by cutting up a plastic Bic pen.
[IMG][/IMG]
After releasing the airline retaining clip, I slid my newly made disconnect tool around the airline and pressed it into the female port allowing me to pull the male end out.
The airbag was now completely free and I removed the bag and sealed off the airline with an electrical shrink connecter (one side filled with silicone) to prevent mud or other debris from getting inside later.

I bolted the rubber wheel to the upper locating hole and put the hockey puck locator in the bottom of the spring.
Centering the spring over the lower airbag locating hole, I slowly raised the rear axle until the spring was around the upper locating wheel. Next I bolted the lower hockey puck in place on the axle housing.
I then raised the axle using the floor jack. This shifted the weight of the vehicle onto the now compressed spring and I visually inspected the top of the spring to ensure it was in place.
With the spring done, I put the new shock on and repeated the process on the other side. Once both sides of the vehicle were complete I put the tires on and connected the electrical connector that I cut earlier.
[IMG][/IMG]
After that I measured the clearance on either side to ensure the lift was level.

Last edited by IncgntoLex; 08-17-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 02:22 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks GREAT! How much did it all cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-17-15, 03:15 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Looks GREAT! How much did it all cost, if you don't mind me asking?
The parts for the lift were about $1300, and the tires were $1200.
Old 08-21-15, 02:14 PM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

That's exactly what I'm going to do when my airbags crap out on mine. How long did it take to complete the conversion?
Old 08-21-15, 03:54 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by sadkomodo
That's exactly what I'm going to do when my airbags crap out on mine. How long did it take to complete the conversion?
I spent around 6 hours putting everything on. It rides really nice too. Had it up to 75 on the freeway without the sway bar connected and it was doing good.

Last edited by IncgntoLex; 08-21-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 08:26 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift looks great! I have the same exact truck lift and tires and love it. Thinking about doing spidertrax spacers next.
What diff kit did you purchase and where did you get the bolts? Was the diff kit and difficult install?
Old 08-21-15, 08:49 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Project470

Lift looks great! I have the same exact truck lift and tires and love it. Thinking about doing spidertrax spacers next.
What diff kit did you purchase and where did you get the bolts? Was the diff kit and difficult install?
I ordered the 07 4Runner diff drop kit from FatBobsGarage they are local here in Utah. It was easy to install, instructions for the 4Runner say you have to support the differential with a jack however this is not needed as the GX diff is mounted in a way that no support was required in fact I had to use a prybar and try to pull the diff down to fit the spacers. For the bolts, I put them up inside of the holes with the washers and everything and then mark them with a grease pen to see what the difference in length was I then went to the local hardware store and found ones that matched and had threads where I needed them. I'll get the full bolt details tomorrow,
the new bolts are the short ones.

All in all the install is easy. I don't think it's required tho. The drop spacers were 1 inch, but honestly only lowered the diff a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and really didn't appear to change the cv angles much, but then again a slight change could make a huge difference when spinning as fast as the axles do.

Last edited by IncgntoLex; 08-22-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 03:21 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IncgntoLex
I ordered the 07 4Runner diff drop kit from FatBobsGarage they are local here in Utah. It was easy to install, instructions for the 4Runner say you have to support the differential with a jack however this is not needed as the GX diff is mounted in a way that no support was required in fact I had to use a prybar and try to pull the diff down to fit the spacers. For the bolts, I put them up inside of the holes with the washers and everything and then mark them with a grease pen to see what the difference in length was I then went to the local hardware store and found ones that matched and had threads where I needed them. I'll get the full bolt details tomorrow,
the new bolts are the short ones.

All in all the install is easy. I don't think it's required tho. The drop spacers were 1 inch, but honestly only lowered the diff a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch and really didn't appear to change the cv angles much, but then again a slight change could make a huge difference when spinning as fast as the axles do.

Thank you!