GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Problems with Nav/Vais MML install

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 05:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Problems with Nav/Vais MML install

Today I installed my new Vais MML Kit. Super simple install. Disconnected battery, pulled center console apart and switched the one plug. Put it back together and followed instructions that came with Vais Kit. I didn't get the beeping it said I would. Then I get an error "The external system is not connected". Well, I didn't remove any NAV plugs, just the one from the back of the stereo. So I unplugged the Vais and disconnected battery again for 15 minutes. Turned car on and got same error message. Completely confused what happened. Never had this error before. I called Vais and they said the plug I disconnected has nothing to do with the NAV and they have no idea why it would do that. So now I don't have NAV working. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-16-15, 08:51 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same error message on my truck. Do you have the rear seat DVD player? I've narrowed my issue down to the RSE ecu that is located in the passenger side kick panel. The nav and stereo signals all run through this ecu to share the signals with the rear screen and headphones. Hope this info may be of help. We could very well be chasing different problems?
Old 07-17-15, 06:18 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I didn't have any problems installing the MML. But I have a dealer-installed aftermarket rear seat system, not the Lexus one.

It's possible that when you unplugged the connector a pin got pulled out of the connector body and now isn't making good contact.

Chip H.
Old 07-18-15, 10:07 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rz500
I have the same error message on my truck. Do you have the rear seat DVD player? I've narrowed my issue down to the RSE ecu that is located in the passenger side kick panel. The nav and stereo signals all run through this ecu to share the signals with the rear screen and headphones. Hope this info may be of help. We could very well be chasing different problems?
Yes I have the factory installed rear entertainment system. However, I think it is too coincidental that it went bad when I was installing the Vais system. Is there a way to narrow this down any other way than just replacing an ECU? I've been racking my brain trying to work out if this all was in fact just very coincidental or the installation of Vais is related.

I only unplugged one plug and that goes to the radio. Nothing on the Nav was unplugged or removed. That's what makes it even more confusing. I get the Lexus logo and then a blank screen.

Does anyone have a link of how to do the diagnostics?
Old 07-18-15, 11:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well, lo and behold I put the car back together and it started working. I do not have the VAIS installed and I am ok with that. While I REALLY wanted to listen to my music from my phone, I'd much rather working NAV. After a lot of research I found several people have had issues with VAIS and getting the error I did. So I am going to send it back and look for another possible, less intrusive option.

Thanks for all of your help,
Jonny
Old 07-18-15, 02:31 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well, lo and behold I put the car back together and it started working. I do not have the VAIS installed and I am ok with that. While I REALLY wanted to listen to my music from my phone, I'd much rather working NAV. After a lot of research I found several people have had issues with VAIS and getting the error I did. So I am going to send it back and look for another possible, less intrusive option.

Thanks for all of your help,
Jonny

Vais make another model that allows you to listen to your music through a blue tooth connection. The vais unit plugs in and is recognized a multi disk player you will not lose your cd player. I have a 2004 GX470 with factory rear entertainment system. The install was easy and it works fine The sound quality is as good if not better then the cd.

The unit is there SL3B. Works through the steering wheel controls it integrated and was recognized as the MD player
Old 07-20-15, 10:24 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This really sounds like a loose connection in your NAV wiring harnesses. I have a Vais MML also that I installed myself and did the override switch installs for and it works great with no problems. If you haven't sent it back yet and are willing to try again I'd suggest verifying EVERY plug you see is clicked in place. Nothing should be loose if you tug on it.

To me the Vais MML is wonderful, not many solutions out there support FLAC!
Old 07-21-15, 01:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shadowmite
This really sounds like a loose connection in your NAV wiring harnesses. I have a Vais MML also that I installed myself and did the override switch installs for and it works great with no problems. If you haven't sent it back yet and are willing to try again I'd suggest verifying EVERY plug you see is clicked in place. Nothing should be loose if you tug on it.

To me the Vais MML is wonderful, not many solutions out there support FLAC!
I checked every plug and made sure every pin was tight. I removed and reinserted each plug. I'm very confident there was nothing loose. I just sent the unit back today and they are going to bench test the Y harness and the unit itself. Will update once I hear from them. Thanks again
Old 08-10-15, 08:48 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I just wanted to update this. I sent the unit back, it got bench tested and they said it was fine. So, they sent it back to me. I installed it exactly the same way as I did the first time, and thankfully it worked like a charm. I'm completely confused by what happened the first time, but am now excited I can listen to my phone music while driving.

Jonny
Old 08-11-15, 05:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I just wanted to update this. I sent the unit back, it got bench tested and they said it was fine. So, they sent it back to me. I installed it exactly the same way as I did the first time, and thankfully it worked like a charm. I'm completely confused by what happened the first time, but am now excited I can listen to my phone music while driving.

Jonny

Sounds like they may have found something wrong with it corrected it and sent it back Is the unit the same serial number
Old 08-17-15, 08:11 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
Very odd.
I first started with a MML and it worked flawlessly even after doing the Nav hack and adding a switch. Then I moved up to the ML+ and had no issues either.
Vais makes a SOLID product with a friendly interface.

I bet if you would have reinstalled that same day it would have been fine.
Also if I remember correctly there is 1 plug back behind the dash that will fit the Y harness.
Could it be possible you tapped into that one on accident?
Old 09-04-15, 09:48 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cwiok71
Very odd.
I first started with a MML and it worked flawlessly even after doing the Nav hack and adding a switch. Then I moved up to the ML+ and had no issues either.
Vais makes a SOLID product with a friendly interface.

I bet if you would have reinstalled that same day it would have been fine.
Also if I remember correctly there is 1 plug back behind the dash that will fit the Y harness.
Could it be possible you tapped into that one on accident?
I actually tried several times that day and it never worked. No, I was very thorough in that I did everything the same the second time.

The only issue I have had to date was that it would randomly stop working. I tried several different Iphone cables, both Apple and aftermarket. VAIS instructed me to add a couple more playlists to my phone, and since I did that I really haven't had any more problems.