GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vibration issues at 1500 RPM at low speeds 08 GX470 NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 08:00 AM
LEXGX08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration issues at 1500 RPM at low speeds 08 GX470 NEED HELP

Hello,

I just bought my first Lexus, picked up a 2008 GX 470 with only 35k miles!

I just had the TSB for the "Clunk" issue fixed and I had a tire sensor that was leaking and had that fixed.

The ONLY other issue I am having is that there is a vibration at between 1250-2000 RPM and it's most prevalent at 1500 RPM, but it is gone above 2000 RPM. This happens while in park and hitting the accelerator to get to those RPM and it happens in all gears while driving, which is especially annoying because the SUV typically is sitting right at 1500 RPM while driving.

The Lexus dealer thought the driveshaft TSB would take care of the vibration, but it didn't. I am about to schedule another appt to take it to the Lexus dlr (but that's 2 hours away) so I am hoping that someone on the boards can help me identify what this could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
Old 07-10-15, 10:15 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXGX08
Hello,

I just bought my first Lexus, picked up a 2008 GX 470 with only 35k miles!

I just had the TSB for the "Clunk" issue fixed and I had a tire sensor that was leaking and had that fixed.

The ONLY other issue I am having is that there is a vibration at between 1250-2000 RPM and it's most prevalent at 1500 RPM, but it is gone above 2000 RPM. This happens while in park and hitting the accelerator to get to those RPM and it happens in all gears while driving, which is especially annoying because the SUV typically is sitting right at 1500 RPM while driving.

The Lexus dealer thought the driveshaft TSB would take care of the vibration, but it didn't. I am about to schedule another appt to take it to the Lexus dlr (but that's 2 hours away) so I am hoping that someone on the boards can help me identify what this could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

There are a number of things that can cause this as follows
sticking calipers or rotor issues
Dirty Mass air flow sensor
Dirty throttle body
Tire balance
Could be spark plugs or wires
Vacuum leak

Did you check the service history on the truck perhaps there was a prior unresolved problem from the former owner

Did you get any warranty when you bought truck Dealer etc
Old 07-10-15, 11:01 AM
LEXGX08
Driver School Candidate

To me tire balance, calipers or rotors shouldn't be the issue because it does happen when the GX is in park and I accelerate to 1500 RPM...

I bought it from Ohio and I live in MD, but there was a 50% 3 mo warranty that I am still under so I want to make sure whatever it is fixed ASAP.

Even the vacuum leak sounds like something that would occur at other RPM's and not just at around 1500 RPM...but I'm not any kind of engine expert, I am familiar with some issues from past experiences of owning a lot of cars, but far from having heavy knowledge and this is my first SUV.

Was hoping that someone else may have had a similar issue and could give some insight.

Thank You for your suggestions!

Any additional info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-10-15, 06:05 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Dirty Mass air flow sensor
Dirty throttle body
Those are my bet.
Old 07-13-15, 05:39 AM
LEXGX08
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I am hoping one of those is the fix...will keep this thread posted when I get more information...

On another note, I did get the carfax before I bought the vehicle but how would you check the service history to see if this was a previous issue? Would I ask the Lexus dealer? I would think that information should be on the carfax? idk...

Thank You!
Old 07-13-15, 06:21 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Thanks, I am hoping one of those is the fix...will keep this thread posted when I get more information...

On another note, I did get the carfax before I bought the vehicle but how would you check the service history to see if this was a previous issue? Would I ask the Lexus dealer? I would think that information should be on the carfax? idk...

Thank You!
You go to Lexus website and register your car in owners information you will need your VIN then after you register you can view the service history of any service that was done at any lexus dealership. You will be able to see if there were any re occurring issues as well as you can figure out how well it was maintained assuming the services were performed at lexus
Old 07-13-15, 06:32 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

To me, it sounds like you checked all the obvious things.

I'd start looking at mechanical problems. Out of balance crankshaft pulley. Timing belt skipped a notch. Worn engine mount. Worn belt tensioner.

Your dealer may have a mechanics microphone. This is a sensor they attach to various parts and record sounds from it. They can put it on the block, the transmission bell, etc. and play back what it heard.

Chip H.
Old 07-13-15, 10:55 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that it could be a dirty throttle body or maf sensor.
I would suggest doing a throttle body cleaning with seafoam and a maf cleaning with maf cleaner. I would also suggest checking the air filter, may need to be changed as well. other than that, could be a bearing or something starting to go in a pully somewhere that the belts are connected to.
Old 07-14-15, 06:00 AM
LEXGX08
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions...I have an appt at the Lexus dlr this Friday...really hope they figure it out and it's an easy fix...

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!!!

Thank You!!!
Old 07-14-15, 06:33 PM
mtnhdwr
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue on my 2007.keep us up to date on what you find out
Old 08-04-15, 07:08 AM
LEXGX08
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late reply...been very busy lately with work and new baby boy...

Ok so the Lexus dealer recognized the vibration which they said was not major and was not going to cause any issue with the GX. They even had their master technician who has supposedly been working on Lexus' since they came out and he did not know what was causing the problem. I will admit it is not a MAJOR vibration, but when I bought this Lexus I bought it for how smooth a ride it was and I feel the smoothness of the ride at all other RPM's, etc and as you all know the GX typically runs right around 1500 RPM so it's annoying that I have to feel this vibration while "coasting" at normal speeds.

I did mention the main things that were suggested in this thread, but they either discounted them, didn't think they were the problem, or on some they said they would trigger the engine light.

The ONLY thing they suggested was to start troubleshooting with the first thing being to replace the plugs at $350 and even then it wasn't a guarantee that it would fix the problem. If it took $350 to be assured that the problem was fixed I would've done it in a heartbeat, but considering this is trial and error, I wasn't willing to pay $350 for potentially nothing. I mean my GX is an 08 with only 35k miles. The ONLY thing I have recognized on my GX that is a negative at all is that it was from Ohio and while it was definitely kept in a garage (paint is in great condition as well as seats, and pretty much everything) you can tell that there was some salt/brine on the underside of the GX. I asked a few different mechanics about it and they said it was nothing(and mind you I am extremely picky, I imagine most people would not have asked or noticed).

So I'm kind of back to step one. With such low miles, no engine light coming on, and no possible explanation or resolution from the Lexus dealer, does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone think that they plugs could be the issue? It kind of makes sense to me, but again, I'm not an expert in car issues, I know a little bit about car issues, but nowhere near being advanced in that.

To me the part that sticks out as a flag to pay more attention to is that it does the vibration even while the GX is in park at the 1500 RPM. That has to help eliminate some of the possibilities.

I so badly want to get rid of this vibration, regardless of how minor it may be to some people, to me it's major because I want the GX to be everything I expected it to be and this is the only thing holding it back from that. It's an outstanding SUV that I've been extremely happy with since I bought it and I haven't been in another SUV that I like even close to as much as the GX.

Again, any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

Thank You
Old 08-04-15, 10:14 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

[Deleted]

Nevermind - already covered.

Chip H.
Old 08-04-15, 11:19 AM
LEXGX08
Driver School Candidate

One additional piece of information that I do think is useful. When they had the car in park and revved it up to the 1500 RPM and could feel the vibration inside the GX, they did test or whatever the engine while the vibration was going on and said that there was absolutely no vibration in the engine, so I thought that was an important piece of information....maybe that will help someone on here give me a better suggestion. I still do think plugs might be a good idea, but again, I'm not spending $350 for potentially nothing...

Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thank You!
Old 08-04-15, 03:52 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

One additional piece of information that I do think is useful. When they had the car in park and revved it up to the 1500 RPM and could feel the vibration inside the GX, they did test or whatever the engine while the vibration was going on and said that there was absolutely no vibration in the engine, so I thought that was an important piece of information....maybe that will help someone on here give me a better suggestion. I still do think plugs might be a good idea, but again, I'm not spending $350 for potentially nothing...

Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thank You!

$ 350.00 is high . Plugs can be bought for less then $80.00 and it takes an DIY like me hour and half to do.
Old 08-05-15, 12:57 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this same problem right now. slight vibration at 1500-1600rpms, then goes away. No codes popping up, I cleaned the throttle body, and MAF and injector cleaner in the tank. Also, my engine looks rock solid during the "vibration" in park, yet I can feel it. I did change the plugs myself and it improved it by 60-70%. I can still feel a faint vibration there and it bothers me because I want it perfect but it's running smoothly otherwise. I noticed during my plug change that 2 of the 8 were very loose, barely even hand tight. That could affect compression. So perhaps the dealer can check the torque on each plug and not actually change them. My plugs had 100k miles on them and they are not due until 120k, I wouldn't spend the $350 on that either at 35k miles. I am left with one of a couple conclusions. Either there is a "flat" spot or something in the maf sensor that gives it a slightly off read at that rpm range, or maybe one of the resistor/coil packs for each of the plugs has a slight issue. Or, there is a balance issue with one of the pulley's, or alternator, etc. I'm not 100% sure either but wanted to give some more input in this.

Quick Reply: Vibration issues at 1500 RPM at low speeds 08 GX470 NEED HELP