GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 10:19 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Decision

Hi all,

Sorry for another suspension thread but I'm struggling with a decision on what I want to do about my rear suspension. I have the typical small leak and usually come out to the rear sitting on the bump stops. They inflate just fine and hold air when driving but it's only a matter of time.

I cannot decide if I want to do a straight air-spring replacement or go with the coil conversion from Strutmasters. It's an 04' with 78k miles on it, I have towed a very light trailer once with it but no plans to tow regularly. I mainly use it as my daily driver and family hauler. I use the 3rd row maybe once a month. I also don't have long term plans on keeping it, maybe another 2 years.

I can buy new OE air-springs on Amazon for around $350 total or I can buy the Strutmaster conversion kit for $357 plus shipping.

Do I go with the air-springs, have a good resale selling point but risk the other parts going out (sensors)? Or do I get rid of all that stuff an go with a fool-proof coil kit? I'm leaning toward the conversion kit.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-15, 09:50 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

When I went through this decision with my wife's GX, the issue I was concerned about was whether the steel coils would make for a stiff ride.

Ultimately, I went back with the air ride because I didn't want her complaining and being stuck with it, but I would like to hear others' opinion if it made a big difference in that area.

Some people LOVE a stiff ride and will put Bilsteins on, etc. I'm more into a factory, smooth ride.
Old 05-12-15, 12:19 PM
coloboardi
Rookie

Originally Posted by BradTank
When I went through this decision with my wife's GX, the issue I was concerned about was whether the steel coils would make for a stiff ride.

Ultimately, I went back with the air ride because I didn't want her complaining and being stuck with it, but I would like to hear others' opinion if it made a big difference in that area.

Some people LOVE a stiff ride and will put Bilsteins on, etc. I'm more into a factory, smooth ride.
I'm the same, I usually always opt for stock OE replacement parts. However, I know there are other components of the air suspension that can fail and are also costly that I just don't want to deal with. I spoke to Strutmasters and they assured me ride quality will not be sacrificed but they are also trying to sell the product. I also think my rear shocks are worn out and the conversion kit would also take care of that part...

I guess I'm most worried about the ride height sensors eventually going out as they can be costly. If it weren't for the cost of those I would definitely go with the new air springs.
Old 05-22-15, 05:51 AM
rodeo360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Strutmasters conversion yesterday on my own. Its a little early to tell because it will take a few weeks for the coils springs to break in and settle, but so far it feels pretty good. I will keep everyone posted
Old 05-31-15, 06:58 PM
schum4
Driver School Candidate

Yes, please do keep us updated. I'm going to have to make that same decision soon myself.
Old 06-01-15, 05:35 AM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

I installed bilstein 5100s and toytec springs front and rear (metaltec conversion). This gave me about 2-2.5" of lift and the ride is cushy soft. It got even softer when I added the 265/70/17 duratracs. Feels like it would be to soft for off-roading.
Old 06-02-15, 09:48 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The conversion kit will obviously cost more in labor to install the whole thing if you are doing all 4 corners. I haven't read good reviews on the Strutmasters, the Suncore kit seems to have better reviews.

Honestly I would just go with the Arnott or OEM replacements, I doubt any aftermarket coil and shock setup will live up to the OEM air ride and will lack the adjustments as well. I would only go the conversion route if I were interested in off-roading and needed more lift.
Old 06-02-15, 05:24 PM
Project470
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic charged me $90 to install the metaltech rear coil conversion kit. Truck rides smother than stock and gained a few more inches of clearance. Rolls a little more in the curves not, but I'm fine with it.
Old 06-03-15, 08:28 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

I decided to go with OEM replacement air-springs...
Old 06-12-15, 03:28 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Personally not concerned with resale value but i have 237K miles on my 03 GX and would like to keep it till it falls apart....I need to make this decision now because it is just not drivable at this point. leaning towards strut masters but wondering what others have done as well...Hope to hear from more folks out there would love to get some kind of ranking....I just need this thing to last..I have college to pay for!!!
Old 06-12-15, 04:33 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Not sure how it will ride yet, but I decided to go Bilstein 5100 front/5100 rear, and Arnott rear air springs.

All in parts were $620
$195 front struts
$150 rear shocks
$275 rear air bag

Just need time to install
Old 06-12-15, 07:30 PM
gr8diver
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear suspension

I had the same issue with my 04'.. I researched a couple of conversion kits and after reading numerous positive reviews for Strutmasters, I ordered a set of rears.... I think they were a little over $425 with shipping costs. I had them for a couple weeks and then decided to go to the dealer and have them repair the originals. I never opened the box.
If you decide to do a conversion.. I'd be willing to give a good deal to anyone who wants them.
Old 06-18-15, 03:57 PM
rodeo360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by schum4
Yes, please do keep us updated. I'm going to have to make that same decision soon myself.

So far so good. The conversion was relatively easy, although the crappy xeroxed set of instructions they give you aren't very good. A few items you'll run into is actually getting the conversion kits seating pucks and bottom bracket bolted to the top and bottom frame brackets that the old air bags seated in. There just isn't a lot of room to get a nut and washer with a hand and a wrench over top and underneath each metal bracket on the frame. We actually had to go without the lock nuts that they provided. It is a delicate balancing act getting the bolt through the hole and blindly getting that nut over top the both and spinning it. Knuckle buster of a job and too tight to do with mechanics gloves on.

Getting the compressed springs into the right spot and making sure they are over the pucks and on the new bracket is also a bit of a pain. We had pull them out and release the compression tools and reset them in different places a few times to get them where we could set the springs in and let the tension off without getting the tool jammed in the frame or the top of the tool's bolts wedged against the frame bracket.

We swore a lot. We took a number of beer breaks.

Now that they are in, the ride is smooth and clunk free. The truck sits higher for sure and takes some getting used too. I was told the springs would settle in a few weeks. I think that was an untruth.

For at least a week I did hear some grinding around corners and quick stops. It sounded as if the springs were rolling a little and shifting. That went away though.
Old 07-17-15, 09:51 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Just did an OEM airspring swap. There is a noticeable difference with the new bags. Pulled the old ones out and could see many hairline cracks that were the cause of my issue or to be a major issue very soon. Indy mechanic did the swap for $105, bought the bags on Amazon for $170/each.
Old 07-17-15, 10:02 AM
new2012jee
Rookie

Originally Posted by coloboardi
Just did an OEM airspring swap. There is a noticeable difference with the new bags. Pulled the old ones out and could see many hairline cracks that were the cause of my issue or to be a major issue very soon. Indy mechanic did the swap for $105, bought the bags on Amazon for $170/each.
did the new bags actually handle and absorb better, or just the ride height function work better?

I am trying to figure out if new bags actually offer any performance improvement over older bags.

Quick Reply: Suspension Decision