GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Custom lighting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 07:25 AM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Custom lighting

I have received some pm's requesting info on my lighting setup.

Taillights:

Tinted all red. I used vht red spray tint to match the dated looking orange to the rest of the light. The process was very simple and yielded great results. I masked off the entire red area on both lights leaving only the orange exposed along with a small area of the red for a colour reference. The trick is preparation and many light coats. Stop when you have an exact match in colour. Took me around 5 or 6 coats if I recall correctly.

Headlights:

This was a more involved project for sure! Not overly difficult, just time consuming. The front bumper cover needs to be removed to access all the headlight mounting points. This was a good opportunity for me to clean things up and touch up some rust.

To open the headlights I baked them in the oven to soften the adhesive. There are many videos on YouTube demonstrating the process. The gx headlight lenses are rather large so the headlights need to be quite warm and worked on quickly before they cool down too much. Multiple baking sessions may be required, or a heat gun can carefully be used for the last bit of the separation.
After a thorough cleaning and prep I sprayed the inner housings black.

I then used laminx tint over top of the orange reflector. While the paint was drying I restored the plastic lens. This was time consuming as mine were really starting to show their age. After a good wet sanding and polishing inside and out they were finally ready for reassembly.

I currently have 6000k hid bulbs installed in both my high and low beams. The remaining bulbs are all LEDs.

Fog lights:

Similar process to the headlights. For these I used a heat gun for separating them due to their small size. The inner housings were painted black. For the yellow tint I used laminx. In the future I may remove the tint but as of right now the look had grown on me.

I am also running hid bulbs
For the fog lights. They are 3000k bright yellow.

Last edited by Rz500; 05-05-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 11:42 AM
Levin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the writeup. I've been considering doing gold film over the fogs to protect from rocks on the highway. Good to see it done on a black GX.

I really like the way your truck sits with those tires, and suspension.