GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Fourth Lexus SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-03, 06:54 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fourth Lexus SUV

"Auto Spies" says Lexus will have a performance SUV that will be between the RX and GX, by the end of next year. Anybody hear similar rumors?
Old 03-20-03, 08:17 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't heard anything, but if this rumor is true, I would say that it would have to be a car that is already available on the Japanese market. Often times, a US car magazine will have some sort of information in terms of a new model being developed, even if it's by as secretive a company as Toyota. For instance, Automobile first mentioned the development of a Camry-based "crossover" SUV that, two years later, became the RX300. Autoweek mentioned a third SUV based off the GS platform three years before the GX470 came out. I broke the Autoweek news on the old CL forum. I'd given up on it until lo and behold the GX is revealed. It'd be quite difficult to squeeze in yet another SUV given the proximity of the RX and GX's pricepoints. Given what I've presented here, we should either look more closely at the models available in Japan, or perhaps the possibility of a more sporty RX or GX. I have reason to doubt this claim by AutoSpies given Toyota's recent tendency away from its performance group. But, seeing how its SUVs are its bread and butter, it would make sense for Lexus to introduce another SUV. BMW is extremely aggressive in introducing new models, which theoretically would lead to higher sales. If Lexus is expected to continue its streak of being the number one luxury marque in the US, it will need to expand its offerings.
Old 03-21-03, 06:01 AM
Wally
Driver

I would say if anything, a 4th SUV would be derived from the Sequoia platform. I know there were rumors a year or two ago, with the new 5.4L that they are putting in the Tundra and Sequoia next year??? I couldn't see the feasibility of one between the GX and RX...
Old 03-21-03, 12:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Have not read anything saying Lexus will have a new SUV added but have read rumors that the LX will stay and get redone with a more powerful engine, I also read this about the LX 470, With not enough differentiation from the Land Cruiser and not enough size to compete with the big dogs in the luxury sport-utility segment, the LX 470 will be killed by Lexus in 2005. Replacing it will be a luxury version of the Sequoia, bowing in fall 2005, possibly called the VX 470, the reference I got it from is usally on the mark.

I read this about Toyota, a Compact SUV: With the 4Runner moving upscale in powerplant and price, there is room underneath for a new model targeted at the Nissan Xterra. Toyota's U.S. arm is studying the Japan-market's Hi-Lux platform, possibly to create a low-priced, body-on-frame vehicle for the U.S. market. It could bow for the 2005 model year.

Their is also a 2 door Prado so that could make its way over here.

Here is what it says for the Sequoia: New in fall 2001, the Sequoia's mid-cycle freshening, slated for the 2006 model year, could include a more powerful 5.5-liter V-8.

And for the Tundra: A StepSide version arrives this fall. In the near term, Toyota wants to expand the cab, but the automaker can't shrink the length of the bed. As a result, a true four-door Tundra (as opposed to an extended cab) must wait until the 2007 model year redesign. But a one-ton variant with a 5.5-liter V-8 has been promised to dealers before then, probably for the 2004 model year.

They keep mentioning the 5.5L V8 so well be seeing that soon in one Toyota or Lexus.

What about a Luxury Lexus Pickup, Cadallac has one it could happen when they revamp the Sequoia into a more refinned powerful upscale Lexus
Old 03-21-03, 12:27 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Apparently, the target is the Infiniti FX45. It's a performance.....short SUV or tall station wagon. The V8 engine produces 315 HP and it comes with 20 inch wheels.
Old 03-21-03, 08:13 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Would you know it? I received my issue of Automobile today and lo and behold... they mention a fourth SUV to be introduced soon (in two years' time). Indeed, the target is the X5, FX45 and the like, i.e. performance oriented tall wagons. Based on a GS platform, RWD and AWD will be featured, along with two engine types, a V6 and the 4.3 liter, 300 horsepower engine on the current GS430 and LS430. The new SUV will be slotted just above the RX330, with a targeted pricepoint of $45,000.

In addition, the news bit goes on to report on a few other things which will be of interest to note. The new GS will come out within a year as an early 2005 model. AWD will be an option. This option will also be available on the next gen IS300 which is also due next year as a 2004 model. In addition, the IS will finally branch out into other model types... a coupe, convertible and wagon (not like the dismal SportCross). The wagon will also be available with AWD.

Lastly, they mention the likelihood of an LS600 with a 6.0 liter V12 in 2004 or 2005, when the LS is redesigned. AWD will also be an option.

I tried to find the article online, but to no avail. When I get a chance, I'll rewrite the article word by word. I do not have the magazine with me now - it's at work.

Can't wait!

By the way, the BMW 7 is being reskinned later this year. It will be the most shortlived design in BMW's history. Apparently, the public hasn't been kind to the 7's rear trunk design and also the headlamps. Source: Autoweek.

-Jon
Old 03-21-03, 08:15 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

Here's the article to the 7 reskin:

Autoweek
Old 03-21-03, 11:34 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

BTW, I drove the new BMW 745 while visiting friends. I accidentally turned on the windshield wipers three times, when i moved my hand up towards that oddly placed gear shift lever on the steering column. It's really awkward getting into the front seat because the windshield is very much sloped and the front edge of the door follows this same angle. I didn't think the body design was that bad. With the new electronics, this car is on the next level of automobile technology and the body lines were probably done to match this theme. I wouldn't take an even trade with my GS400.