GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Carrier Assembly

Old 03-18-15, 03:37 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Carrier Assembly

Looks like I need to replace mine--2003 with 150k miles on it. Changed the rear diff fluid a while back and didn't see anywhere that I needed to add any additive. Been getting noise from the rear and the thud at stop lights and has been getting worse. Mechanic explained it killed the carrier bearing in the rear diff.

Anyway, wondering which ones from other Toyotas/etc fit in the GX as I'm guessing they may be cheaper than buying a Lexus-labeled part. Anyone got a part number? Also checking salvage yards.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-15, 06:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

You don't need to add any additives to the gear oil in the rear diff.

Should be the same as a 4th gen 4Runner Ltd, right down to the rear air suspension mounting points if you're replacing the whole axle, otherwise any V8 4Runner should work. You'll have to confirm the gear ratios are the same, as I can't say for sure.
Old 03-18-15, 07:01 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
You don't need to add any additives to the gear oil in the rear diff.

Should be the same as a 4th gen 4Runner Ltd, right down to the rear air suspension mounting points if you're replacing the whole axle, otherwise any V8 4Runner should work. You'll have to confirm the gear ratios are the same, as I can't say for sure.
Thanks.

So, in digging deeper, I guess what I need is called a 3rd member. It's Toyota/Lexus specific due to the electronic locking diff. Not having any luck tracking one down other than a dealer--which will costs a fortune. Looking at salvage yards, etc. Anyone know any good sources?

I appreciate it.
Old 03-18-15, 11:04 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Thanks.

So, in digging deeper, I guess what I need is called a 3rd member. It's Toyota/Lexus specific due to the electronic locking diff. Not having any luck tracking one down other than a dealer--which will costs a fortune. Looking at salvage yards, etc. Anyone know any good sources?

I appreciate it.
We have an electronic diff? I was under the impression we have a conventional open diff, with traction control utilizing the brakes for added grip.

It looks to me you can open the search up to Tacoma's, Tundra's and 4Runners if you only need the carrier. Might want to wiki Toyota truck diffs for comparisons. As mentioned above, the correct gear ratio is critical.
Old 03-18-15, 11:52 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I misread the posts above. I am pretty sure ours is a no locker version. just have to make sure the gear ratios are the same or you can always swap both front and back from the same 4runner to be safe, cause even if they are different it will still be fine. I know the transfer case ratios are the same so likely the axle ratios are similar.
I would start by figuring out the ratio you have, and then looking online because when shopping for those via used car part websites they will generally list the year model and ratio. I wouldn't even get it if they don't know what the ratio is find another place. I would not swap the axle assembly, too much work for no gain.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-18-15 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 12:08 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I misread the posts above. I am pretty sure ours is a no locker version. just have to make sure the gear ratios are the same or you can always swap both front and back from the same 4runner to be safe, cause even if they are different it will still be fine. I know the transfer case ratios are the same so likely the axle ratios are similar.
I would start by figuring out the ratio you have, and then looking online because when shopping for those via used car part websites they will generally list the year model and ratio. I wouldn't even get it if they don't know what the ratio is find another place. I would not swap the axle assembly, too much work for no gain.
Thanks. Trying to figure this all out since the dealer wants stupid money for this. My guy is good but he's not always great at researching things.
Old 03-18-15, 02:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

a quick search and I came up with the GX470 and v6 and v8 4th gen 4runners all having a 3.73 axle ratio. so looks like you will have lots of choices. Emphasis on 4th gen 4runner 2003+ only.

for GX
http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

for 4runner
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...le-ratios.html
Old 03-18-15, 04:16 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the diff out and have the bearings replaced. It's not hard, but you do need special tools and knowledge how. I've done several, including e-lockers. Buying a complete new diff will be crazy money, and it's not necessary. Even a used one out of a yard probably need rebuilt unless you get lucky and find one with low miles.

Last edited by KLF; 03-18-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 05:13 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by KLF
Pull the diff out and have the bearings replaced. It's not hard, but you do need special tools and knowledge how. I've done several, including e-lockers. Buying a complete new diff will be crazy money, and it's not necessary. Even a used one out of a yard probably need rebuilt unless you get lucky and find one with low miles.
Thanks, I'll run that by the mechanic I use. He doesn't mark parts up for me anyway and he's always been good about NOT raping me.
Old 03-18-15, 05:28 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Thanks.

I appreciate it.
The electronic locking diff is the center diff, not the rear. The rear, as stated above, is an open diff with ATRAC (which is not really part of the diff, but rather a system that actuates the brakes to slow down a wheel that's spinning, which directs power to the non-spinning wheel).

Sounds like you need to really clarify what part has failed before you start looking for replacement parts. 3rd member is a common reference to the rear diff, FWIW.