GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ali SC3's 2003 GX470 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 09:53 PM
Saggio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lovin it! Can't wait to start my own build thread.
Old 03-04-17, 10:20 AM
bygbyrrd
Driver School Candidate

I can't wait to do the same to mine! I saw that Metal Tech just started making a recovery bumper. It is pricey but nice.
Old 03-07-17, 02:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah there are a few more bumpers coming out, I think there is a tube bumper being made also. I want to get a rear bumper this year, hopefully there are some more options that come out for that I am not completely sold on the SSO rear bumper yet.
Old 03-07-17, 03:42 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bygbyrrd
I can't wait to do the same to mine! I saw that Metal Tech just started making a recovery bumper. It is pricey but nice.
MetalTech, SSO, and Hefty Fabworks all offer front and rear bumpers.
Old 09-29-17, 08:53 AM
travGX470
Driver School Candidate

Question Still liking the spacer lift?

Hello Ali, are you still liking your spacer lift?

I'm thinking really hard about doing this to my GX. I was wondering if you've ran into any issues so far and how is it holding up.

I found some spacers made out of steel that look pretty good, I'm trying to decide between 2.5" or 3".
https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/t...kit-2005-2015/

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by travGX470; 09-29-17 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-17, 10:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Hey, yeah the spacer lift has been doing just fine actually so far but I haven't done much serious offroading with it, just basic trails to get to camping grounds and stuff any 4x4 can get to.
It's even been fine with the metal bumper on the front, but I think if I mount the winch it will be a little weak for that spring rate wise. I have the shocks set to full sport and it seems ok.

If I were to do them again I would go with the 2" lift, I did the 2.5" and its on the max of what the factory alignment can correct (I have the alignment work sheet posted earlier on this thread).
also I noticed there was the slightest bit of rubbing of my upper control arm to the tire but I think that was only when I was at a big angle when I took it down to the beach.
I think the 2" would be better and if you are raising the rear with the airbags they will be at a more reasonable spot... if I take a dip really fast you can hear the airbags are sort of maxed out when they flex.
some big tires wont clear the front bumper at 2", but with my metal bumper now i have much more clearance so I could do 2" just fine.

I might actually go to coilovers soon just so I can dial it in perfectly. I am pretty sure the 2" is what I want if I were to do spacer again but if I am going to go in there again I am just going to go with the iron man 2.5 series coilovers so when I put the winch on it will be fine.

But if you are just looking to raise it up a little to clear bigger tires and have a better stance, I think 2" is where its at. I think 3" is pushing it with the spacer lift and might stress the shock too much, and you will have issues with matching the front height with the airbags in the rear. if you are going coils in the rear, you might want to do those first and then see what front lift you need, cause those are less changeable and factor in some sag over time for the rear spring also.

if you have any more questions ask away, those have been my impressions with them after using them for a while.
Also I used the 1 piece billet aluminum ones, I don't see a reason to go steel unless you want to but it shouldn't matter either way.
Old 10-02-17, 04:24 PM
travGX470
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
If I were to do them again I would go with the 2" lift, I did the 2.5" and its on the max of what the factory alignment can correct (I have the alignment work sheet posted earlier on this thread).
Thanks man, I think I'll go with some 2" aluminum spacers per your advice.

A while back I removed the airbags myself and replaced them with an Arnott coil conversion kit from my local O'Rileys.
I was kinda in a jam and needed a quick solution due to the a factory air bag going out on me. The Arnott coils are great, it's a noticeable difference from the air suspension. The ride is still factory smooth, yet more responsive in a way. The height seems a little taller than the air bags where at when set to normal height.

Recently I was due for new tires, so I upgraded to some KO2's a size up from stock, 265/70/R17.
Now I'm looking to lift it a bit to make a little more room for the taller tires. Ideally I'd like to go with some Icon's and upgrade the UCA's, but for now I'm going the spacer route. Keeping the factory ride quality and adjustability is something I'd like to maintain until I can afford to take things to that next level.

Old 10-03-17, 03:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Actually it looks pretty darn good as it is. Unless you were rubbing I would probably leave it there cause a 1" rake is good for when you load the rear up you will still be level or above.
If you do a 2" spacer up front, you will probably be higher than the rear and it might look funny unless you plan on putting new springs on the rear.
You can kinda see how your running boards look close to level right now which is good, if you lift the front you'll have to lift the rear also.
They also make these "trim packers" which will lift it just a slight amount, like less than an inch. maybe slap a pair of those on and call it a day.

I went with 285 something tires which make them quite a bit taller so it was required, but in your case it should work as is.
But if you do want some lift, go 1.5-2" and then get taller springs to match in the rear, the rear lift springs aren't really expensive either.
I will probably be going to rear lift springs myself in the future cause I know sooner or later an airbag will pop and leave me stranded somewhere.
Old 10-03-17, 05:10 PM
travGX470
Driver School Candidate

I've ordered the 2" spacers from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

I also just received my SSO Coil conversion, It allows for 3/4″ to 1 1/4″ inches of lift.
http://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/...onversion-kit/

I'm adding that to my current coils so, hopefully I'll be at 6 1/4" in the rear if I use the spacer shims.
That would have me right about even, but I'd like to keep a slight rake also.
The Arnott's while not a known or popular choice have been great in my opinion. They're stock height if maybe 1" lift when compared to N with air bags.
Since I already own them, and I like the ride, I'm thinking about just keeping them on.

If I feel I need more rake, I may possibly add the Daystar, Toyota FJ Cruiser 1.5" Rear Lift Kit, and use the SSO coil kit without the shims.
Amazon Amazon

Alternatively, I may swap the current Arnott coils with a 2" lift spring.
After reading lots of posts, it seems like the rear coils are a very subject-able choice. I'm wanting something with a lift, but not super hard like a heavy load constant.
I've been leaning towards possibly going with Radflo's rear coil, people seem pretty happy with them.

Decisions, decisions

Last edited by travGX470; 10-03-17 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-18, 02:53 PM
07socal470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I didn't mention it before, but its from ebay the sellers name is summit-performance and the item name is:
TOYOTA TACOMA 4RUNNNER 2.5" LEVELING LIFT KIT TAC 2.5T

[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/aQYAAOSwGvhUDw7W/$_57.JPG

I went with this one because I read reviews on a couple 4runner forums where people have used them with good results and the deal is pretty good for aluminum spacers.

I am not sure if something has changed over the last few years, but after reading your post I went ahead and ordered https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TACOMA-4-RUNNNER-PRE-RUNNER-2-5-LEVELING-LIFT-KIT-TAC-FG-2-5T-HC/121537598025?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 and the spacers were the wrong size, the diameter of them was too small. It turns out that they make a pre 2004 spacer which is linked above and a 04-18 spacer which is linked here and the correct one to order. https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TACO...72.m2749.l2649 hope this clears up any possible confusion.

Last edited by 07socal470; 12-29-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 02:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

It's odd because the titles seems to call both spacers "2.5T HC", but the one you want is for the 03+ 4runner which has the same suspension as the GX and will fit with slight mods.

The first link you are right is not the right one, that is for the older 96-02 4runner. The second link with the 03+ 4runner is the right one.
Some confusion is also that the tacoma years do not match up to 4runners and GX470s, for example an '04 Tacoma is still a 1st gen which has the same suspension as the 96-02 4runner and wouldn't fit our cars, but the 05+ Tacoma is the same as the GX.

Its easiest to just go based on a 4th gen 4runner, so if it says 03-09 4Runner, you should be good to go front suspension wise.
Old 04-15-23, 06:51 PM
silencer23
5th Gear

Is a 2 inch spacer lift enough to comfortable fit 285/70r17?
Old 09-29-23, 05:57 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like it from reading this thread and seeing the pictures. You may have to do some trimming though. I wish I had found this earlier in the week lol. I'm trying to retain the stock adjustable dampers as I enjoy that flexibility, along with the rear air. This seems to be the perfect solution. Needed tires, so bought 265/70. I'll run those with the 1.5" and call it a day. It's tough finding the correct spacers though, given the amount of time it's been since this thread was active. As noted above, the 03+ 4Runner is what you'll find barring a few specific to the GX, however those are 3" and will not retain the factory dampening controls. GL!
Old 09-29-23, 06:31 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, this thread has quite a bit of good information also: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fro...-gx470.934129/