GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ali SC3's 2003 GX470 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 10:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Wow, that thing adds a foot to your overall length!

Chip H.
I know, it's not the flushest one but it should have plenty of space for a big winch.
I like how the fenders where it meets the body are so thin, so I should be able to lower the car a little bit from where it is now and not make love to the bigger tires like the plastic bumper would.

Originally Posted by IanB2
Will your bumper have the 4x4 LED light pods in it, or is that an add-on? That is a beefy bumper!
Yeah I got it with he D ring mounts and also the cut outs for he 3x3 LED fogs. I decided to order those separate cause I can get a better deal on amazon for those.

I will also be mounting a LED light bar in the center hoop section

Thinking I might need some coilovers or at least some heavier springs in the front, but I have a few months to sort that out.
Old 10-21-16, 09:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

The southern style bumper and rock sliders have arrived... already got the sliders painted, now I need to do the bumper, will update with install pics later on when I get a chance to get all that done.
Can't wait its going to look BOSS. Also I think I have settled on throwing on some OME 885 springs up front on new oem shocks, cause I love that dampening feature. My GX is going to stay rear air ride also.
hoping I can lower it about an inch so the rear air suspension wont be so maxed out, I think it should work out perfect, just the right amount of lift cause I think its a hair too high at the moment.
the southern style bumper is pretty low profile on the sides so it should still look very aggressive.

Old 01-07-17, 02:47 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Havent updated in a while, got the Southern style bumper and sliders on, have a Gamiviti roof rack being built right now so that will be a while.
Supports for the winch came in not too long ago so still need to install that and winch but its getting there.

Getting a little flex in on the way back home... need to find a bigger rock
Stay Warm!!

Old 01-28-17, 06:11 PM
Bullroarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacer electronics?

Originally Posted by LexRex
Just to add to what you've documented so well here - I can confirm that with a 1.5 inch spacer the bracket above can be re-used without much modification. When you use this kind of spacer, it means the shock body will be turned 180 degrees. The bracket is keyed to the shock, so when the shock gets turned the bracket is now facing the opposite direction. I just enlarged the keyed holed in the bracket so it would fit in its original orientation again, and then tightened the nut down well. Worked great.

I used the "Precision European Motorwerks" spacer that can be found on Amazon or eBay in several thicknesses.
Where you able to reattach the cables and electronics that connect to the top of the shock after adding the spacer to maintain the factory shock adjustability? Thanks!
Old 01-29-17, 01:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yes, that is what I did. because mine was 2.5" I had to modify the bracket, but it wasn't that hard. I can adjust the shocks just like before.
Old 01-30-17, 06:38 AM
pennswoods
Driver School Candidate

Looks mean man. I can't decide if I want to go with a big front bumper like that or not.

Love the wheels too. I got a set, being powder coated right now.
Old 01-30-17, 10:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Nice, those wheels are my fav toyota wheels for fit, look, and the extra 10mm offset helps with bigger tires.
They should look really good with a powdercoat.
The newer trd wheels on the 4runners are my 2nd fav but not sure what the offset on those are.

The bumper I wasn't sure about at first when I ordered it, kept going back and forth in my head while it was being built for 3 months...
but once I got it on the car I can't picture having it any other way. It's just a different truck now it adds so much character and people move out of the way real fast when they see you coming lol.
Old 01-31-17, 10:13 AM
pennswoods
Driver School Candidate

They are my favorite too. I realize they are still split 5 spokes, just like the stock ones, but I dunno, I just like them better. I also like the six spoke wheels from older 4Runners, they seem to look good on the GX

Back to the bumper. My brother had one put on (picture attached), and it isn't as heavy duty as yours, but still looks mean. Part of the appeal of the GX for me is that while it is fully capable off road, you can also pull up to the country club and not look out of place at all. With a badass bumper I feel like it doesn't fit in at the country club as well. From what I have researched there really are not many options for the front bumper, maybe 2 or 3. Coming from the Jeep world, there are thousands of kits, ranging from modest to extreme. I just kinda wish I could get something in the middle for the GX. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
Attached Thumbnails Ali SC3's 2003 GX470 build thread-3838.jpg  
Old 01-31-17, 10:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

there have been more coming out I am sure someone will make a lower profile one soon. a good place to check out is the facebook GX offroad group.
there seems to be more info floating around there for GX products than anywhere else. after I got mine I noticed there were a couple other places that made them also that I didn't know about before, but I still like mine the best so far.
Old 01-31-17, 10:48 AM
pennswoods
Driver School Candidate

Funny you mention that. That is exactly what my brother keeps telling me, the Facebook GX Offroad Group is where it's at, haha. I just really dislike Facebook. But from what I've seen it is really active, which is great.
Old 01-31-17, 11:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I know what you mean about facebook... but as far as GX's go that is where its at. Not much activity on this site for non-stock GX's or even on the other toyota forums.
I didn't think there were that many modded GX's out there till I joined that group.. lol there are lots on there, and now I feel like I have more modding to do to catch up
Old 02-02-17, 09:50 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The above is true. I get extremely depressed reading this forum, with all the unbelievably simple basic questions that are asked from owners who I'm sure are great at their job, but haven't a clue how anything else in the world works. The FB GX group restores my faith in humanity lol.
Old 02-02-17, 10:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I barely check in on here anymore, usually on the SC300/400 section. Seems like all the serious people are on the FB group.
It's funny after I posted up some pics of the GX after the bumper from southern style offroad was installed, the owner of that company posted on there cause he is on that group too lol.
There was a recent offroading trip that some members went on, I couldn't make it that weekend but it looked fun, keep an eye out if you are interested since you are in CO also.
Old 02-02-17, 10:44 AM
pennswoods
Driver School Candidate

Somebody tell him we need more than 2 bumper choices, haha.
Old 02-02-17, 09:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah that would be nice. There are so many options here in denver if you have a 4runner/fj/taco and even tundra but not so much when it comes to the GX.
I have been eyeing the rear bumper also but haven't decided yet.

Got the Gamiviti expo roof rack installed I like it alot, its sized just right for the GX and there are tabs to point reverse lights through the spoiler but havent tried it out yet.
Need to put the wind deflector on the front when its warmer out but the rack is on.

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's 2003 GX470 build thread