GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking To Purchase GX 470 - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 08:54 PM
Curlyp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking To Purchase GX 470 - Need Advice!

Hello Lexus Community,

Fist off, I am new to the forums and fairly new to Lexus. I am reaching out to the community for advice and recommendations.

My first Lexus I owned was a 1998 SC400 when I was in the military. I am looking to purchase my second Lexus; used, but new to me!

Currently, I own a 2014 BMW and 2014 VW. With our family growing and the need for more vehicle space, the GX 470 would suit the needs. I am seeking a used Lexus as it will help keep down the cost of one vehicle; limiting us to one new car payment for the time being. The plan is to trade in the VW and or sell it to basically break even (based on the appraised value, I have about $2,000 negative equity).

I have found three GX 470's I am interested in. The 2003 does not have a back up cam, but the 2005 and 2006 do. I read some reviews that their have been improvements and features added in 2004 and above. I have also read that some owners are able to get 200,000 + miles on their vehicle. With all that said, I am not sure which one to get or which one is the best deal (my first impression would be the 2003, but the new 2005 and 2006 is newer with additional features and safety).

I would like some advice and your thoughts on the vehicles I am interested it. I have not seen them in person as I would like some feedback. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

Below are the details of each:

Vehicle 1:

Year: 2003
Miles: 82,863
Owner: 1
Features: Navigation, 4X4, 4-Wheel ABS, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, 5-Speed A/T, 8 Cylinder Engine, AM/FM Stereo, Active Suspension System, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Air Suspension, Aluminum Wheels, Auto-Off Headlights, Auxiliary Pwr Outlet, Brake Assist, Cassette, Cruise Control, Daytime Running Lights, Driver Air Bag, Driver Illuminated Vanity Mirror, Driver Vanity Mirror, Dual Zone A/C, Electrochromic rearview mirror, Fog Lamps, Front Floor Mats, Front Reading Lamps, Full Size Spare Tire, Gasoline Fuel, Heated Driver Seat, Heated Mirrors, Intermittent Wipers, Keyless Entry, Leather Seats, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel, Multi-CD hanger, Navigation, Pass-Through Rear Seat, Passenger Air Bag, Passenger Illuminated Visor Mirror, Passenger Vanity Mirror, Power Door Locks, Power Driver Mirror, Power Driver Seat, Power Passenger Seat, Power Steering, Power Windows, Premium Sound System, Privacy Glass, Rain Sensing Wipers, Rear Air, Rear Defrost, Rear Head Air Bag, Rear Seat Audio Controls, Running Boards, Seat Memory, Side Head Air Bag, Steering Wheel Controls, Sunroof, Third Row Seat, Tires - Front On/Off Road, Tires - Rear On/Off Road, Traction Control, Universal Garage Door Opener, Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers, Vehicle Anti-Theft System, and Woodgrain Interior Trim

Vehicle 2:

Year: 2006
Miles: 157,487
Owner: No car fax yet/ will ask to see
Features:**Dual TV's for Entertainment**, **Great Service History**, **Mark Levinson Stereo**, **Navigation**, 11 Speakers, 17" x 7.5" Alloy Wheels, 3.72 Axle Ratio, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, ABS brakes, AM/FM radio, Adaptive suspension, Air Conditioning, Auto tilt-away steering wheel, Auto-dimming Rear-View mirror, Auto-leveling suspension, Automatic temperature control, Back Up Camera, Brake assist, Bumpers: body-color, CD player, Cassette, Compass, Delay-off headlights, Driver door bin, Driver vanity mirror, Driver's Seat Mounted Armrest, Dual front impact airbags, Dual front side impact airbags, Electronic Stability Control, Front Bucket Seats, Front anti-roll bar, Front dual zone A/C, Front fog lights, Front reading lights, Front wheel independent suspension, Fully automatic headlights, Garage door transmitter: HomeLink, Genuine wood console insert, Genuine wood dashboard insert, Genuine wood door panel insert, Heated Front Bucket Seats, Heated door mirrors, Heated front seats, Illuminated entry, Illuminated running boards, Leather Seat Trim, Leather Shift ****, Leather steering wheel, Low tire pressure warning, Memory seat, Occupant sensing airbag, Outside temperature display, Overhead airbag, Overhead console, Panic alarm, Passenger door bin, Passenger seat mounted armrest, Passenger vanity mirror, Power door mirrors, Power driver seat, Power moonroof, Power passenger seat, Power steering, Power windows, Rain sensing wipers, Rear anti-roll bar, Rear audio controls, Rear seat center armrest, Rear window defroster, Rear window wiper, Remote keyless entry, Roof rack, Security system, Speed control, Speed-sensing steering, Split folding rear seat, Steering wheel memory, Steering wheel mounted audio controls, Tachometer, Telescoping steering wheel, Tilt steering wheel, Traction control, Trip computer, and Variably intermittent wipers

Vehicle 3:
Miles: 136,089
Owner: 3
Features: Power Sunroof, Leather Upholstery, Navigation System, DVD Entertainment System, Alloy Wheels, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Dual Power Seats, AM/FM Stereo Radio, Multi CD Player, Mark Levinson Sound System, Homelink System, Memory Seating, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Traction Control System, Air Conditioning, Telescopic Steering Wheel, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, Cruise Control, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Dual Climate Control, Heated Seat(s), Dual Air Bags, Side Air Bag System, Curtain Air Bags, Auto Adjust Day/Night Mirror, Power Mirrors, Heated Outside Mirror(s), Sunroof Cover, Keyless Entry, Power Lumbar Seat(s), Child Safety Locks, Split Fold Down Rear Seats, Third Rear Seat, Rear Air Vent(s), Running Boards, Compass, 12 Volt Power Source, Back Up Camera, Power Steering, Auto Express Down Window, Cassette Player, Radial Tires, Elec. Steering Adjust., Gauge Cluster, Clock, Tachometer, Tilt Steering Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, Center Console, Dual Sport Mirrors, Center Arm Rest, Front Bucket Seats, Reclining Seats, Map Lights, and Tinted or Privacy Glass
Old 03-15-15, 06:57 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

My advice, based on recently going through the search process myself:

1. There's no way to decide between these three vehicles without seeing them. Pictures and description rarely capture the vehicle's condition. I looked at 6 in one day, and only one didn't have undisclosed issues.

2. If none of these three vehicles turns out to be the right one for you, bear in mind that these vehicles aren't rare and there will be plenty more to look at a couple weeks from now.

3. Would look at lower miles unless you're comfortable turning a wrench and can tolerate some down-time with the vehicle.

4. Al that said, the '03 sounds best to me on paper. I would try to get a truck without Navigation. You can upgrade the stereo and add a back-up cam.
Old 03-15-15, 04:31 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

^ Good advice, LexRex.
Old 03-15-15, 05:05 PM
Curlyp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRex
My advice, based on recently going through the search process myself:

1. There's no way to decide between these three vehicles without seeing them. Pictures and description rarely capture the vehicle's condition. I looked at 6 in one day, and only one didn't have undisclosed issues.

2. If none of these three vehicles turns out to be the right one for you, bear in mind that these vehicles aren't rare and there will be plenty more to look at a couple weeks from now.

3. Would look at lower miles unless you're comfortable turning a wrench and can tolerate some down-time with the vehicle.

4. Al that said, the '03 sounds best to me on paper. I would try to get a truck without Navigation. You can upgrade the stereo and add a back-up cam.
Thanks for the information.

Agree and I plan on seeing the cars before making any decision. I was more or less trying to obtaining some thoughts based on the information I have from the dealers website. Do you see any issues with an 03 being 12yrs old with only 82,000 miles vs an 04-06 being newer with more miles?
Old 03-15-15, 05:50 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

My opinion, i don't think it matters much. 82K in 12 years is still enough to keep the vehicle up. My wife has her one-owner 2004 RX330 (bought in '03) with 82K miles, and it is like new. No oil leaks from dry-rotted seals or anything. We haven't had a single problem with it, despite age and such low miles.

Also, I don't think there's anything with the newer trucks that makes them a definite must-buy over the earlier years. Just find one in the best shape, with fewest miles, in the right color, with the options you want. Look for indicators of how well the truck was cared for.

Common issues - As I said before, Nav is not a selling point. Make sure the air suspension works as it should. Make sure the timing belt has been done. Look for a leak at the transfer case actuator. Look for rust on the undercarriage and suspension (depending on where in Ohio you are and where the truck has lived its life. ) Notice the ride quality, since the original shocks are very expensive to replace. Look for cracks in the dashboard. Notice the headlights, whether they are faded and opaque. Listen for sunroof rattles. Check if the front speakers are blown out. Make sure the AC works properly .

Get a Carfax, and get an independent inspection.
Old 03-15-15, 05:58 PM
Curlyp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRex
My opinion, i don't think it matters much. 82K in 12 years is still enough to keep the vehicle up. My wife has her one-owner 2004 RX330 (bought in '03) with 82K miles, and it is like new. No oil leaks from dry-rotted seals or anything. We haven't had a single problem with it, despite age and such low miles.

Also, I don't think there's anything with the newer trucks that makes them a definite must-buy over the earlier years. Just find one in the best shape, with fewest miles, in the right color, with the options you want. Look for indicators of how well the truck was cared for.

Common issues - As I said before, Nav is not a selling point. Make sure the air suspension works as it should. Make sure the timing belt has been done. Look for a leak at the transfer case actuator. Look for rust on the undercarriage and suspension (depending on where in Ohio you are and where the truck has lived its life. ) Notice the ride quality, since the original shocks are very expensive to replace. Look for cracks in the dashboard. Notice the headlights, whether they are faded and opaque. Listen for sunroof rattles. Check if the front speakers are blown out. Make sure the AC works properly .

Get a Carfax, and get an independent inspection.
Thank you for the information. I have reviewed the carfax for each one. Everything checks out fine, especially for the 03. I also have the dealer service history on the 03 and all service has been done at the original dealer it was purchased from. I can post the notes if you would like to review.

Lastly, do you think it is foolish to get rid of a 2014 vehicle for an 03 with more space?
Old 03-16-15, 09:33 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Way too many variables in the mix to say if it's a good idea to trade the '14 for the'03.

But the gist of your question seems to be how the reliability would compare between the two. You'd probably need a crystal ball for that too, but you can expect any 12 year old car approaching 100k miles will likely have some issues pop up. With the GX, those issues are probably going to be *relatively* minor and nothing catastrophic. Browsing forums like this, it is rare to see anyone stranded by a GX. The engine and transmission are solid. I'm not knowledgeable enough on VWs to make a direct comparison.

Forgot to mention a few more common issues to look for - wheel corrosion/peeling and driveshaft "clunk". Also, a faulty air injection pump can lead to the check engine light coming on. Gas caps wear out and frequently cause warning lights too.
Old 03-16-15, 04:31 PM
Wahevets
Driver School Candidate

I traded a 2011 Ford Flex for my 06 GX. Here in KS my property taxes went down quite a bit. I will also not be white knuckle driving on slick roads any more! Had traded a 2006 4Runner for the Flex and missed it terribly. The GX being taller fits me better than the 4 Runner. I do not think the 03 had issues with the smog pump. I found out my 06 had P0418 code right before the previous owner traded it in so I am waiting for that ugly head to arise again, only had it since 2/14/15 but really like it. The 03 sounds good to me but your choice. Happy hunting! I did sign in to the Lexus web site and then could see all the service records, that is how I found out the air pump may need to be replaced.

Last edited by Wahevets; 03-16-15 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 03-16-15, 08:56 PM
buickman69
Driver School Candidate

I'd make a lot of sharp turns on test drives and with radio and a/c off in a non-noisey area and listen with windows down and up for noises on sharp turns that could be from front axles. Engage the 4wd and see how it performs.

Best of luck.

Last edited by buickman69; 03-16-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 06:59 PM
micah360
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which VW do you have? If it's the 2.5 engine I would sell it.
Old 03-19-15, 03:48 AM
Curlyp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by micah360
which VW do you have? If it's the 2.5 engine I would sell it.
I have the new 1.8 turbo with 7,400 miles.
Old 03-23-15, 07:47 PM
Curlyp
Driver School Candidate

Just to give everyone an update, the 470's I looked at were not good. The interior looked was nothing like the pictures.

However, I found a "new" 2006 today and went to see it. The SUV is in immaculate condition for its age. It was a one owner and all the regular service has been done. Plus it has a new pair of tires on.

The SUV drove well, although I was unable to test the 4x4 as I don't know how to engage it, but the shifter would not move! I spoke with the sales manager and as if I could take it to Lexus for an inspection. He had no problem and even told me I can take the car over night if it is more convenient to my schedule.

So far this looks like it could be the one. I am taking my wife to see it tomorrow and if it is a go, I will take it over night to drop it off at Lexus for an inspection. Also, I noticed the original owner purchased the invisible shield for the front of the car. There are basically no scratches as it is protected.

I know the navigation system is older. However, will it still work well with all the road changes? Should I update the navigation? If so, how do I go about it?

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-23-15, 08:14 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

The GX470 is always in 4WD. The shifter lever is for the transfer case, to shift into 4-Low (ie, low range gearing for high torque but very low speed). The transmission needs to be in park or neutral to shift the transfer case into 4-Low. (And in Park or Neutral to shift out of 4-Low back into 4-High.) Don't drive around in 4-Low on paved streets, as I believe shifting into 4-Low automatically locks the center differential. If/when you buy, you'll want to read up on all the nuances of the 4x4 system in the GX.

You can update the map DVD for the navigation really easily. The current version is 14.1. A 2006 model GX would use "Generation 4" or Gen4 version. The DVD is expensive, so you could search eBay and Amazon for "14.1 Gen4 navigation dvd". [EDIT- Generation number corrected]

Last edited by LexRex; 03-23-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 08:20 PM
Curlyp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Rex. I will search online. Does it need to be a Lexus DVD Map?

I forgot to mention the 2006 has 79,000 miles.
Old 03-23-15, 08:51 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mind telling how much is the truck asking for ?
Thanks !

Quick Reply: Looking To Purchase GX 470 - Need Advice!