GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

CEL- P1442, 1445--Should I do an SAIS bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 11:13 AM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL- P1442, 1445--Should I do an SAIS bypass?

I have an '05 GX (101K) that's generating the following CEL codes: P1442, P1445. I know this has been discussed at some length here, but I haven't seen answers to my specific questions:

1) Will I harm the vehicle by driving it with these codes, assuming it's not in limp mode (which it isn't) and I can't detect other symptoms? Or is this basically just an emissions issue which I can ignore until my TX state inspection is due again?

The codes have actually come on/off of their own accord a few times in the past several weeks. Then I finally bought a bluetooth adapter and used Torque to read them and turn them off. So currently, they're off.

2) Should I just go ahead and purchase a bypass option and install it without further diagnostics?

3) Has anyone used the following bypass product or any other specific one they can recommend? http://hewitt-tech.com/store/index.p...oduct_list&c=2

4) Any chance Lexus has finally started covering this up to 10 yrs, 150K miles like Toyota?

Reading on various forums yesterday (here,forerunner, tundra, etc) I gather the dealers are charging 3-4K to POSSIBLY fix the problems...at least one guy paid 3K+ and still had the lights. That is unacceptable to me, so I'm not going to bother with the dealer at all unless failing to get further diagnosis will potentially ruin my engine.
Old 03-09-15, 11:44 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I doubt it will ruin the engine or the catalyst, since the air injection system's purpose is to raise the cat's temperature more quickly, so that it starts converting smog more quickly. Running not-as-lean shouldn't be a problem for the 5 minutes after a cold start. As long as you aren't making a lot of short trips (under 30 minutes) I don't think there'll be any damage (this is an internet opinion - take it with a grain of salt)

However -- you will be emitting smog (bad), and you could fail the emissions portion of your test. I don't know if the bypass kit will enable you to pass, but it's a band-aid and you're not fixing the actual problem.

I would look at buying the equivalent aftermarket pump and transferring the connector over. It's a significantly cheaper part, and you can find a garage to do the work for you. A dealer won't put a non-OEM part on.

Chip H.
Old 03-09-15, 12:14 PM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...that's helpful, so I sincerely appreciate it, but it's discouraging to hear that the bypass is only a band-aid.

I wonder why so many people (particularly Toyota owners) advocate the bypass if it's not an effective long-term solution. My notion, based on my ignorance of how engines work, is that the SAIS being "secondary" implied it was redundant and essentially unnecessary. That's how I was reading the explanation on other forums, but again I'm ignorant when it comes to engines.

If I do need to buy an aftermarket pump, does someone have a specific part they've used successfully? A link would be ideal.

Also, anyone had this job done with an independent mechanic who can offer an installed cost estimate (part + labor)?
Old 03-09-15, 01:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

is that the SAIS being "secondary" implied it was redundant and essentially unnecessary.
In the same way that airbags are a "Supplemental" Restraint System. Disabling an airbag is illegal, and can cause longer-term problems (like dying in a crash).

The air pump is a federally mandated emissions control system, so it's something you want working.

This thread should help:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-air-pump.html

Note that the intake manifold had to be removed to access it. The part is made by Dorman -- Part# 306-010 You can pick one up online for around $85. You just need to transfer over the connector end on the wire from your bad one (remove the black dome, there are spade connections on the motor itself), so that it'll plug into the factory harness on your truck.

Chip H.