GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 09:32 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Windshield

Windshield cracked.

Need a new one.

Have not researched this yet, and wondering what the groups experience is.

Best and most cost effective windshield replacement?

Ball park cost estimate to replace?
Old 01-20-15, 11:39 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Whose paying, you or insurance company?
Old 01-20-15, 12:00 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a new windshield installed , did not go with the aftermarket , had at the Lexus brand/ windshield installed huge difference too .
at first they installed the aftermarket one and then that was not going to work , what a huge difference in color and design of the features of the windshield itself .
Insurance Claim for me .
Old 01-20-15, 03:04 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by Tipler
Got a new windshield installed , did not go with the aftermarket , had at the Lexus brand/ windshield installed huge difference too .
at first they installed the aftermarket one and then that was not going to work , what a huge difference in color and design of the features of the windshield itself .
Insurance Claim for me .
I agree, LEXUS glass is the better choice and your insurance is obligated to provide it vs safelite, China made glass, inferior quality, clarity, fit and water repelling coating just not there.
Old 01-23-15, 01:54 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I've read reports where some have bad experiences with aftermarket glass (although sounds largely installer related) and some that note absolutely NO difference between their OEM glass and the so-called aftermarket glass.

Lexus does not make glass, they buy it from another manufacturer just like they do their water pumps (Aisin) etc, all of which are for sale to the general public. Find out what kind of glass your local glass shop uses. You will be surprised to know that many glass shops will us the same glass/manufacturer that provides glass to Toyota/Lexus/GM etc.

I too have a crack in my windshield and I intend to have a private local shop replace my windshield (not safelite who does not have the best reputation in my area) with an aftermarket DOT approved 1/4" thick windshield - $284 and it includes the gel pad for rain sensing wipers. My insurance deductible is $500 so the aftermarket route is more cost effective for me, plus if I am essentially getting the same glass less the Lexus name stamped on it for substantially less why pay the premium.

The shop guarantees my satisfaction so I figure if I am not happy with the result, I will have them replace it with another windshield and if that fails, I always have the option of paying 5x the amount for OEM glass, no biggy.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-23-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 02:02 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a good post on the subject from Lexus Owners Club

12LFA

New Club Member

Pip
1 posts
First Name:BLAKE
Model: LFA

Year: 2012

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Ok I was just reading alot of the comments on this Forum and I am going to disagree with about 99% of these comments, mostly because you have no CLUE about glass in general. Pilkington also Previously known as LOF and NSG. For starters Pilkington IS DOT approved if you look at the glass stamp in the corner of your windshield there will be a DOT stamp of 177 which means L-N Safety Glass S.A.DE C.V. Key word in there is SAFETY GLASS. ALL windshields that are made or imported HAVE to be DOT approved meaning that glass meets the Department Of Transportation's requirements. Pilkington is also manufactured in Canada and USA and all Windshields are the same thickness 1/4''. FYI Saftey glass is Laminated glass its a kind of safety glass that is commonly used for automobile windshields. It consists of two layers of glass with a layer of film, called the inter-layer in between them. The glass is designed this way in order to prevent it from shattering into sharp pieces when struck by an object or when the car is in an crash.

The interlayer in the glass is a film of a tough, yet pliable material known as polyvinyl butyral(PVB). In the event that the glass breaks, the two layers are held together by the PVB, allowing the sheet as a whole to bend and absorb the impact. This characteristic is especially important for car windshields since, ideally, the film will keep objects from penetrating through the glass and possibly injuring the car’s occupants. Laminated glass is also used in prisons, jewelry stores, hospitals, and other places where safety or security are paramount. Along with this Pilkington IS the main Manufacturer of 80% of the OEM glass on the market. Pilkington is also the OEM manufacturer of Toyota and Lexus not the OEM rejects as you call it. Its in every single one of our cars. The only reason your OEM glass does not say PILKINGTON is that Toyota/Lexus and every other car company pays a large sum of money to have their OEM stamp on PILKINGTONS glass. One more thing the distortion your talking about is very common. Most windshields are curved glass. SO when the glass is molded the lamination stretches and the glass stretches. Prime example look at a glass coke bottle it is also distorted. WHY? cause its curved glass! You are probably wondering how I know all the vital information well for 1. I am a NGA (national glass association) Certified Master tech and an AGRSS (Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards) Certified Master Tech. 2. I am factory trained glass tech by Toyota, Lexus, Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes, and Honda . I have been doing auto glass for 16 years and have owned my own glass company for the past 10 years. SO I hope this helps with the main topic Pilkington vs. OEM... BTW if you do have an issue with Pilkington Glass they are the ONLY company that has a LIFETIME guarantee and Warranty on their glass. So call up the Glass shop that installed your glass and have them replace it with another window..
Old 01-23-15, 02:35 PM
ALAN553
Racer

I didn't see anyone here discuss pilkington glass. I always knew them to be a top quality glass manufacturer, and it is good to know that are the ones making Lexus OEM glass, that explains their quality and fit compared to safelight.
Old 02-03-15, 02:45 PM
bhesse
Rookie

Default Windshield

Just had mine replaced choice was pilkington or PPG (now PMG) went with PMG no issues, installed well and let dry for two days
Lexus glass was over a 1000 addl and insurance would not pay for me
Old 02-05-15, 10:21 AM
Lumbergh
Driver

I am also in WA.

Mind sharing where you got it done and the cost?

The crack is now making its way across the windshield so I will be replacing sooner than later.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-15, 08:45 AM
bhesse
Rookie

Default Windhield

Lexus of Fife referred me to Genuine Auto Glass, I went to the Auburn location I feel they did an excellent job in 1 hour and I was out, may need to replace my rain senors pads though, apparently they are damaged when you remove and re install
Old 02-25-15, 04:19 PM
Lumbergh
Driver

Going with a local (eastside) glass shop.

Pilkington.

$260 out the door.

Quite fair IMHO.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 02-26-15 at 01:38 PM.