GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Odd Issue: Interior Lights and Door Ajar Light comes on During Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 03:05 PM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Issue: Interior Lights and Door Ajar Light comes on During Acceleration

Like the subject says, I have been noticing over the last 2 months in my 03 GX470 that the interior lights and open door dash light come on when accelerating.

-The issue is exacerbated in cold weather. I have double checked all doors and rear hatch are closed.
-I have gone around and checked all door sensors are functioning, not sticky, etc.
-I climbed in the rear hatch and had my wife shut it. When I push on the plastic under the window, the lights come on. When I push on the glass itself (and push MUCH harder then on the plastic) the lights do not come on.

Clearly I have an issue in the rear hatch trim area. Anyone else experience this or have suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-15, 05:51 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dashome
Like the subject says, I have been noticing over the last 2 months in my 03 GX470 that the interior lights and open door dash light come on when accelerating.

-The issue is exacerbated in cold weather. I have double checked all doors and rear hatch are closed.
-I have gone around and checked all door sensors are functioning, not sticky, etc.
-I climbed in the rear hatch and had my wife shut it. When I push on the plastic under the window, the lights come on. When I push on the glass itself (and push MUCH harder then on the plastic) the lights do not come on.

Clearly I have an issue in the rear hatch trim area. Anyone else experience this or have suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks!
There may be the ability to adjust the sensor switch by turning it out
Old 01-06-15, 06:48 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I have the same issue when it's very cold outside. I had to park the GX outside the other night as it's our only vehicle with a block heater currently, and it had a new trick for me, the alarm started going off as the sensor would tell the truck the rear hatch was open! FUN at midnight when it's that damn cold out!

I had a look at the stopper on the hatch, there's no way to twist it out from the hatch so it pushes the switch in further. I'm thinking about putting a felt pad for the bottom of a chair on the stopper or something like that to push the sensor in further, but I doubt it would ever stick...might just need a new sensor? I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-06-15, 08:14 AM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I will try turning the sensor out a bit and seeing if that improves the issue. I was thinking it might not be the sensor due to the fact that when I pressed on the glass, I had no problem; however, there was a problem when I pressed on the plastic on the hatch.
Old 01-07-15, 05:34 AM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

So I fixed the issue for a solid 6 cents. Thanks guys. I used a nickel as a spacer and some electrical tape to get it on there and match the color of the plastic know on the rear hatch. When it gets warmer out, perhaps I take it off and put a washer on.
Old 01-07-15, 07:07 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Would you be able to post a pic of your fix? Did you tape the nickel to the stopper on the hatch, or what?
Old 01-07-15, 08:09 AM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Would you be able to post a pic of your fix? Did you tape the nickel to the stopper on the hatch, or what?
Sure, I can post a photo when I get home (wife has the truck). I taped it directly to the rear hatch stopper part 67281F I believe. I made an X over the nickel and then taped around the stopper to retain it better. As someone else mentioned, and based on the diagram, it looks like it just screws in, so either loosening it or adding a washer should be viable solutions. I plan to add a washer next time I am at the hardware store. I wanted to ensure that this was the source of the problem before wasting my time though. Good luck!

Old 01-07-15, 09:23 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I'm bagging what you're mowing now, thanks for the additional details.

I don't believe that stopper screws in, I think it "pops" in, so getting a washer behind it may not be possible, although it would be my preferred method of fixing this issue as well. If you removed it and got a washer into place, it may not go back into the door panel far enough to catch due to the extra thickness of the washer, but you'd have to try to know for sure.
Old 01-07-15, 01:40 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The switch itself is p/n 8423160070, seen here:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2003.html

$21 seems a little steep for what it is...

Chip H.
Old 01-07-15, 05:30 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if it's possible to adjust the catch on the door so the door closes slightly tighter...?
Old 01-09-15, 08:54 AM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

All are good suggestions. It seems like the door is securely shut, but who knows.... now you are making me wonder.

I haven't taken the swithc/sensor off yet, but it may also be possible to put a small spacer within the rubber protectant over the stick mechanism of the switch as well.

I will look into it when I get some free time and report back, until then my 6 cent solution is holding up.
Old 01-12-16, 01:56 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

This issue has reared it's head again, now that the cold weather has returned. I think I'm just going to buy a new sensor, it's 12 years old at this point.

Originally Posted by chiph9
The switch itself is p/n 8423160070, seen here:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2003.html

$21 seems a little steep for what it is...

Chip H.
@chiph9, Sewell is no longer doing online parts sales, so their diagram doesn't load. The part # you provided doesn't come up on ******* as a part for the GX470, but is a door switch for loads of other applications. I can't for the life of me find the switch on *******, any chance you could revisit and lend a hand finding the part #?
Old 01-12-16, 02:05 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Here's the 04 GX470. It's the same part as used on the LX and a bunch of other Toyota/Lexus models.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

Chip H.
Old 01-12-16, 03:44 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
Here's the 04 GX470. It's the same part as used on the LX and a bunch of other Toyota/Lexus models.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

Chip H.
Top shelf, thanks!
Old 01-12-16, 11:20 PM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Let me know how it works Ian, been having the issue again myself and installed a nickel to space it out. If the sensor replacement works, I will do it myself as well.

Quick Reply: Odd Issue: Interior Lights and Door Ajar Light comes on During Acceleration