GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 04:04 PM
VF201JC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my dash replaced at Hennesy Lexus in Gwinnett in Georgia. They did an excellent job. It's crazy to me that they replaced it and I can't tell that the work was done at all. For the benefit of those waiting, my car is a 2005 GX470 that we bought used, and I'm the second owner. The first owner was a lease. The dash started cracking about 2 years ago and went downhill fast. Lots of cracks all over. I got the recall letter in the mail last spring, most likely when everyone else did. I had established a relationship with this Lexus dealer after taking it in for warranty work. I had bought the car out of state, and did buy the extended warranty, which paid for itself when the backup camera was replaced under warranty, and about a year later the instrument cluster was replaced under warranty. I also had it in for the 90 or 100 thousand mile routine maintenance, mostly because I didn't have time to do the timing belt myself. When the recall on the dash came out, I was in touch with the service rep I had dealt with and he said they were in the dark as to the schedule and process for repairs, and were at the mercy of the corporate people at Lexus as far as getting parts. He did say that they would be happy to do any routine maintenance and I surmised that if I was a loyal customer, I'd get the nod for the dash when parts were in. So I've been bugging them about getting the 120k maintenance done, with the caveat that when the dash parts came in, we could knock them both out. Voila, I got the dash done and the 120k service at the same time. Don't get me wrong, most of the routine service I do myself, but it was handy to let them do this oil change, as well as the spark plugs and all the filters. I know it's kind of expensive for a lot of 'inspections' on the car, but I rationalized that I got a new dash in the bargain. Hope this lends hope to those of you still waiting.
Old 10-22-15, 01:44 PM
TyneeGX
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just called my dealer here, Rohrich Lexus. they didn't seem too concerned, ran my VIN, and told me my vehicle was not listed as needing any recall work. I pushed them, and got the Lexus assistance hotline number. Called it, and was informed this is common, because it is actually a "warranty enhancement", so she kept me on hold, called the dealer back, and had them put me on the repair list. Once I called the hotline, it was a pain-free experience. Never even had to bring the vehicle in so they could examine the dash. Very pleased with corporate Lexus at this point. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-23-15, 06:41 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Yes, this isn't a recall, but a warranty extension.

Chip H.
Old 11-05-15, 05:07 PM
Laserman
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash

Originally Posted by cdew002
My wife received a letter in the mail today stating that Lexus is enhancing their warranty program to cover the cracked and / or sticky melting dashboard as a result of heat or humidity. Looks like it covers a variety of models, including the RX from 2004 to 2006, and the GX from 2003 to 2008.

My wife drives a 2004 RX and got her notice. However, I drive a 2004 GX and DID NOT get a notice, although the notice states that the GX is covered. May be rolling it out in waves.

It states that this is just a pre notice, and that they will be rolling out the program in the next couple of months. If you have already paid for a dash replacement, it looks like they're going to reimburse you.

I got my new dash for my 04gx today. Looks like a new car now.
Old 11-06-15, 12:38 PM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my dash replaced a week ago. Looks so much better than the cracked dash, obviously. They did end up cracking the wood piece to the right of my nav screen. They must be doing this a lot because when they went to order the part, it went on back order for a week or two, so I have to go back when they get the part in to fully complete the job. So mine was in the shop for 3 days, probably would have only been a day and half if everything went smoothly.

Didn't mind, had nice 2015 RX350 to drive. It was nice but definitely makes me appreciate my GX more. Believe it or not these old GX's are so much more soundproof and smoother on the road. I also didn't like the v6 power and transmission struggling to find an appropriate gear. I did like the new Lexus navigation screen with mouse, that was very nice.
Old 05-22-16, 02:07 PM
sandrabe15
Driver School Candidate

Default Information

I just purchased a 2004 Rx 330 yesterday . when I went to pick up the car I noticed the dashboard in the car is crack . the sales rep that I been dealing with told me that it's a recall on the dashboard that a Lexus dealership will take care of it . I'm not the pervious owner .I'm the current owner now . does that apply to all customers ?
Old 05-22-16, 02:21 PM
sandrabe15
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx330

Currently a recent owner of Rx 330 lexus does it apply to me to get my dash board fixed
Old 05-22-16, 03:24 PM
Laserman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sandrabe15
Currently a recent owner of Rx 330 lexus does it apply to me to get my dash board fixed
Yes. Call your local Lexus dealer. It doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the 4th owner.
Old 05-22-16, 04:57 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Sandra, also many Lexus and Toyota owners have complained to us about very long delays in their queue to get their dashboard replaced..

So for you coming in this late in the game and hopping onto the back of the line, don't expect Lexus to repair your cracked dashboard any time soon.

This could be one of those family heirlooms that you pass on to your grandkids! I wrote an update article to address this with more tips a few months ago here:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...or-repairs.htm

Some people are being told by their Lexus dealers, that they only receive 1 or 2 dashboards per week for the repair, yet owners are sitting 50th on the list. You do the math, won't be a quick wait in line.
Old 05-28-16, 12:12 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sandrabe15
The warranty enhancement is for 10 years from car production date and a 2004 car is a no Bueno, I recently got it replaced on my 2007 GX. But call your local dealer and check with them.
Old 05-28-16, 06:37 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
The warranty enhancement is for 10 years from car production date and a 2004 car is a no Bueno, I recently got it replaced on my 2007 GX. But call your local dealer and check with them.
This is actually not correct. Re-read the notice. The warranty is valid till May 31st 2017 regardless of production age or when the vehicle was first put in use. So he is good / beuno.
Old 05-28-16, 09:28 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
This is actually not correct. Re-read the notice. The warranty is valid till May 31st 2017 regardless of production age or when the vehicle was first put in use. So he is good / beuno.
I actually never got the notice I read on the forum about tht enhancement and the SA told me its 10 years from the production date that's why I said please check with the local dealer to make sure. Thanks
Old 05-29-16, 05:42 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I actually never got the notice I read on the forum about tht enhancement and the SA told me its 10 years from the production date that's why I said please check with the local dealer to make sure. Thanks
Cool man....just trying to clarify your misinformation.
Old 05-29-16, 01:07 PM
djspock303
Driver

About a month ago I signed up and registered my GX470 at Lexus.com with my other vehicles. I was the second owner of this vehicle and it had about 135k miles on it when i purchased it. I went into our local Lexus Stealership yesterday and asked about the replacement dash in the service department and the guy gave me some jazz about well if you have purchased the extended warranty then sure. I immediately went on the defensive but was polite about it and said, that does not sound right from what Lexus described to me directly. He pulled the car in, in about 10 minutes had it all wrote up and said it was already in the computer etc. and they would have the dash in two to four weeks. I asked how long the install and cost would be and it was a day for install and zero charge! Pictures to come!
Old 06-23-16, 08:41 PM
jennaantic
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty Enhancement SCAM!

We purchased a Lexus is250 in Florida. After driving it for about a year the door panels and the dashboard began to melt. Literally like goo up and melt! We received a letter from the dealership that this issue was under a warranty enhancement program and we would be able to receive replacements from Lexus at no cost to us. Thrilled about this we put our name on the list and began to wait for our car to be fixed. ONE YEAR LATER only 5 cars have been fixed. Upon calling Lexus to complain they said "they are on back-order." However, they can continue to make new cars and sell those. What I hear is they are not standing behind their product and do not care about the customers who already have given them money... Just new customers. The car is so bad that we virtually can not drive it. The goop from the doors has melted on to the seats and it ruins your clothing. The goop from the dashboard has begun to melt onto the steering wheel and the dashboard has also ruined the shift pannel as the goop has melted onto it. Their warrenty program is a SCAM! They are fixing 3-5 cars every 6 months to say they are doing something. They offered me a dashboard cover which will clip on, but that would forfit my place on this non-existant list. I have never been so angry. I spent 20k on this vehicle and it is a piece of ***!

Upon calling the Lexus corporate line I was told that a manager would call me back on Monday. It is now Thursday and she is just now getting around to it. When asking her why she informed me "I SIMPLY FORGOT" Lisa from customer care who claims to be a manager actually laughed at me when I asked her to esclate my claim to the next level. She said "HAHA MAM WE ARE ALL AWARE" I have never been spoken to in such a rude and disrespectful manner. I am appaled by their lack of care for their customers and I can not beleive they have people who have so little respect for their clients calling pretending to be managers.

BOTTOM LINE: I DID NOT GET WHAT I PAID FOR. BE CAREFUL WHEN PURCHASING AN IS AND DO NOT EXPECT TO RECEIVE ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE.

There is a class action law suit against Lexus for the IS models. We will be persuing this. When told we could trade in the vehicle and not have any reprocutions on the value based on this defect my dealership said "Well going rate on the auction is 8k, and I would have to auction it off because I can't put a car with doors like that on my lot." So BS for not being penalized for the condition of the doors and dash!

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!