GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 09:30 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am purchasing a 04 soon and as i looked at the car as I expected there are the cracks near the passenger side air bag. That's the only thing holding me back but I am glad to find this info that The dash can be replaced by Lexus. That's the best coverage I have seen so far on these types of defects in a car.

I tried to look really hard on used car photos it is hard to see these cracks until you see it in person.
Most people are not going to try to show the cracks posting the pics.

I am just glad I do not need to keep searching for a "no crack dash" GX .
Old 08-18-15, 06:42 AM
GXArch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my name on the list at my local dealer.

They said just this week Lexus released the part numbers for the individual dashes for the dealers to order. They get one per week, like others have said before. They were hopeful the first dashes will be on site in 2-3 weeks.

Take it for what its worth.
Old 08-31-15, 06:17 AM
jenturnr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Replacement RX330

My name's on the list! 2 weeks +/- for parts to arrive.
Old 09-01-15, 06:12 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Well, that Was fast, just had the dealer put on the list a couple weeks ago, now they say the part is in stock, assuming that is the dash
Should I have them do the installation now?
Old 09-02-15, 09:25 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my second letter, will be heading to a dealer shortly.
Old 09-02-15, 11:54 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

What seemed to have happened is my dealer took a picture of the defective dash and went and ordered the dash itself. I am a new owner so there wasn't any letters involved.

I wonder if there are still new dashes out there that was made with this defective material
or did Lexus superceded all the dash stock.. what is your speculation?
Old 09-08-15, 07:34 AM
KenTarmac
Driver School Candidate

Went to my dealership last week. They took some pictures of the cracks and said they had to send them in to Lexus. Put my name on a list and said they didn't know when they'd be getting the parts. Let's hope its soon!
Old 09-25-15, 07:25 AM
brent95m3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus of Austin took photos of my dash a couple weeks ago. Install is scheduled for October 13th. Looks like they're moving through the queue, slowly but surely.
Old 09-25-15, 11:03 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

When exactly was that? They supposedly added me in early July and I haven't heard anything from them.

Chip H.
Old 09-26-15, 05:18 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Chip H, you better call your dealer again, and make sure you're still on the list. I had called my dealer in August, the 2nd time to confirm. Remember there is a pecking order, starting with ES, GX is almost in what I call Phase 3 of the list of models. At My Local Lexus dealer which is JM Lexus in Margate, FL, they already got through the ES models, and finally got to GX, and mine was the second GX on the list.

Follow our tips on my blog article below, and on that article you'll see my 3 other related articles talking about the schedule of the rollout including how many of each model were affected, I also have photos we shot of the entire process at the dealer, showing what they have to do on their end to get this repair covered. They kill a forest for the paper on each of these dashboard repairs, it's sick.

Rad my article with the photos and tips here:

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...-dashboard.htm

BTW Chip, what state and city are you in? I heard most of these failures are in the hot and humid Southeastern US, but wanted to hear if anyone else from other states have this issue.
Old 09-26-15, 06:40 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Like brent95m3, I'm in Austin TX. The PO bought it in San Diego and traded it after they moved here. So -- humid coastal region, followed by 110+ summer temps in Texas. It's cracked.

Chip H.
Old 09-28-15, 02:02 PM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Hello All. What's the best way to get on my dealer's list? I never received one of these 'fix it' notices, but have a stack of letters to and from Toyota about this very issue, with photos and emails and even screen shots of this forum, going back a few years now. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Of course, I'm in SE Florida. Pines is my dealer. All sincere thanks!
Old 09-28-15, 02:37 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Skippy,

Look at the link to my article, which is 2 replies up from your question, I posted it there in reply to Chip H. Read my article there, it gives you all sorts of tips for getting onto the list, making sure you remain on the list, and many other tips.
Old 09-28-15, 04:21 PM
Skippy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffO
Skippy,

Look at the link to my article, which is 2 replies up from your question, I posted it there in reply to Chip H. Read my article there, it gives you all sorts of tips for getting onto the list, making sure you remain on the list, and many other tips.
Thank you JeffO. I reread your excellent blog and am on phone now with Lexus. They connected me to a coordinator at the Margate store who took information. The next step is a call back from that store advising me when (1) the parts will be in and (2) appointment information. Thank you for being a wonderful resource.

As an afterthought, has anyone had their ignition keys snap in half since the cracks started? I've gone through the original 2 keys and 1 replacement key. I've often wondered if the cracks surrounding the ignition switch contributed. Curious.
Old 09-28-15, 06:04 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skippy
Thank you JeffO. I reread your excellent blog and am on phone now with Lexus. They connected me to a coordinator at the Margate store who took information. The next step is a call back from that store advising me when (1) the parts will be in and (2) appointment information. Thank you for being a wonderful resource.

As an afterthought, has anyone had their ignition keys snap in half since the cracks started? I've gone through the original 2 keys and 1 replacement key. I've often wondered if the cracks surrounding the ignition switch contributed. Curious.
Yes the keys are ridiculous , make sure you do not sit on it, but you can buy new shells

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!