GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 11:03 AM
Tact
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipler
how does it look for color match ? and how long to replace ?

TIA
Texture and color appear to be the same as original. It's a 1-2 day job.
Old 01-20-15, 11:57 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tact
Texture and color appear to be the same as original. It's a 1-2 day job.
thank you , always worry about being not the same as the original !
Old 01-20-15, 12:14 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

How big a crack does it need to be before they'll do the work?

I have some small cracks around the center stack, but you can't see the foam underneath (yet).

Chip H.
Old 01-20-15, 12:36 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by chiph9
How big a crack does it need to be before they'll do the work?

I have some small cracks around the center stack, but you can't see the foam underneath (yet).

Chip H.
I would think that any cracks should warrant a replacement. I would definitely contact your dealer.
Old 01-22-15, 08:29 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update - New dash

Originally Posted by Options2k
I have a 2006 (with just a bit over 100k miles) that developed one big and three small cracks (all on PS of the dash) about 14 months ago. After reading this thread here, I contacted my service advisor. He had not heard of the "recall" however he advised me to call Lexus...which I did. Lexus representative asked me to let the local service dealership look at the dash and open up a ticket. I found out yesterday that I will be getting a new dash next week

I don't know why this went through this quickly....whole thing took less than a week. I never received any letter, just followed up after reading this thread. I continue to be impressed by their service. Perhaps, this is the reason I have been a loyal Lexus fan for the last two decades.

I got my truck back from the dealership yesterday.....with a new dash at no cost to me

I was smiling all the way back and thanking Lexus! Damn the car smells new now.

FYI.....the program under which the cracked dashes are being replaced is called "ZLD".

Cheers
Old 01-23-15, 03:37 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Options2k
I got my truck back from the dealership yesterday.....with a new dash at no cost to me

I was smiling all the way back and thanking Lexus! Damn the car smells new now.

FYI.....the program under which the cracked dashes are being replaced is called "ZLD".

Cheers
Thanks for the update. I called Lexus and they told me to wait for the letter. Nice work getting it done! A friend gave me a contact at my local dealer and he said they can't get the dashes right now. I'm comfortable waiting but Id rather get it done.
Old 01-23-15, 05:54 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sprocket
Thanks for the update. I called Lexus and they told me to wait for the letter. Nice work getting it done! A friend gave me a contact at my local dealer and he said they can't get the dashes right now. I'm comfortable waiting but Id rather get it done.
You have already done the right thing by getting in touch with the local dealer and getting this documented. This is how you will get the "letter" or a call whether your car is eligible for the replacement. Then, depending on the availability of the part, it will get replaced.

I have known my service advisor for more than 10 years. He had originally told me that it could take up to six months for the right dash to in inventory.....after the call from Lexus. However, the next day, he called me to give the news that he had found one in his local inventory He is the best!
Old 01-23-15, 01:47 PM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visited my local Lexus dealer yesterday. He looked at my dash and verified that I qualify for the upcoming dash replacement program. I was advised to contact them first of May for parts availability. Since they are not planning to have the parts until then. Looking forward to getting it done!!
Old 01-23-15, 02:10 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Way to go Lexus for owning up to this issue! I already had my dash replaced under 'good-will', but I can't help to feel bad for those owners that spent their own money to replace their dashes up until Lexus decided to cover it.
Old 01-24-15, 01:29 PM
Playtobias
Driver School Candidate

Default Notification

I called Lexus Customer Service and was advised I should have received the first letter. The rep confirmed my 2005 GX470 is covered and further advised I will receive a 2nd letter (though I never received the first) in May 2015 which will be my permission to get the job completed. The rep did relay what others have been told, the parts are not available (or perhaps under available) as of this date.

Thanks for sharing this great information. Who would have thought after all the threads on cracked dashes Lexus would do the right thing and replace at no cost. That's why many of us are repeat buyers of Lexus vehicles.
Old 01-25-15, 06:37 PM
thx10
Rookie

How bad does the crack need to be?

I have a 2006 with about 98k and noticed a hairline crack near the front center speaker. Couple of inches long.

Thanks
Old 01-25-15, 07:00 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thx10
How bad does the crack need to be?

I have a 2006 with about 98k and noticed a hairline crack near the front center speaker. Couple of inches long.

Thanks
Best to take it to the dealer and let them document. Your truck is similar in year and mileage as mine so I know it would be in the replacement program if the crack(s) are there and visible.
Old 01-27-15, 05:52 PM
GregWork
Driver School Candidate

Default Letter

Got my letter today. Wife got one for her 4-Runner as well. So they are covering both.

Note the date is the LATER of 31 MAR 2017 or 10 yrs from in service.
Attached Files
Old 01-31-15, 10:27 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Playtobias
I called Lexus Customer Service and was advised I should have received the first letter. The rep confirmed my 2005 GX470 is covered and further advised I will receive a 2nd letter (though I never received the first) in May 2015 which will be my permission to get the job completed. The rep did relay what others have been told, the parts are not available (or perhaps under available) as of this date.

Thanks for sharing this great information. Who would have thought after all the threads on cracked dashes Lexus would do the right thing and replace at no cost. That's why many of us are repeat buyers of Lexus vehicles.
I noticed a crack on my dash several months ago near the drivers side vent. Since then once long crack developed above the wood trim near the glove box, none of the under lying foam is showing though.

I contacted Lexus of Orlando and the SA said I should be receiving the dash replacement letter any day. I told her where the 2 cracks were and she said on the crack near the airbag alone would warrant a replacement dash. She said if I didn't receive the letter by early May to call back and just schedule an appointment to get it replaced free of charge. She said the dashes should be in by late May / Early June.

I'm glad enough people complained about it to force Lexus' hand.
Old 02-02-15, 09:50 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Mine isn't cracked, but gets this weird film on it that needs to be wiped off every few days. I have no idea what it is, but it wipes off just fine but always comes back.
mine is doing the same. You better believe I will be looking to get this replaced. I have a 2006 and I think it will crack eventually.

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement - Cracked Dash Replacement!