GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 - How to replace Front Wheel Axle bearing and Seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 01:15 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb GX470 - How to replace Front Wheel Axle bearing and Seal replacement

Here is the method attached from the Manual.
Ensure to have to all the tools prior to the start and ensure while jacking the truck, all safety precautions are in place.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GX Front Axle Greasing.pdf (160.1 KB, 7577 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by mann777:
200kGX (09-17-22), btomlinson (07-13-19)
Old 12-30-15, 03:09 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Here is the method attached from the Manual.
Ensure to have to all the tools prior to the start and ensure while jacking the truck, all safety precautions are in place.
Just an fyi. If you would rather spend money than do all that work you can buy a new high quality bearing/hub assembly from marion bumper bumper auto for $175 shipped. Process is way easier and you gear all new parts.
Old 12-31-15, 10:19 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

http://marionbumper2bumper.com/store/index.html
Is this the one? Will it fit the GX? Trying to find an email address or phone number to get in touch with these guys is a nightmare.
Old 12-31-15, 11:20 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Originally Posted by burny
http://marionbumper2bumper.com/store/index.html
Is this the one? Will it fit the GX? Trying to find an email address or phone number to get in touch with these guys is a nightmare.
Yes. That's the one and yes it will fit. Here is his email address. Marionb2bauto@gmail.com

He checks it pretty regularily. I am actually waiting on one of these right now.
Old 01-01-16, 08:25 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I bought complete, bolt on wheel bearing assemblies from this guy, in fact after checking out the online store linked above it may even be the same guy. I was very happy with the product!

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/sale-t...nj-%24169.html
Old 01-01-16, 08:57 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Not the same guy but I may give him a try bc I still need to do my wife's gx. I have bought one from the other guy with great results for my 4runner. then the other side went out a few months later. so I bought aother from him and it Is on the way.

I am interested in buying from this guy because is product looks solid and he offers package deals.
Old 01-02-16, 04:56 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question: how long do wheel bearings on this truck usually last. I do have a slight growl / humming nose coming from one of the sides. I have 76k and it's an 04.

Originally Posted by Morphyne
Not the same guy but I may give him a try bc I still need to do my wife's gx. I have bought one from the other guy with great results for my 4runner. then the other side went out a few months later. so I bought aother from him and it Is on the way.

I am interested in buying from this guy because is product looks solid and he offers package deals.
Old 01-02-16, 06:18 AM
Morphyne
Driver

d to say. but that does sound pretty early. Don't remember when the first bearing went out. Maybe this summer/early spring. so that would have been around 145-150k. my second bearing is now shot and I have 160k on the clock.
Old 01-11-16, 05:37 PM
Buck208
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
I bought complete, bolt on wheel bearing assemblies from this guy, in fact after checking out the online store linked above it may even be the same guy. I was very happy with the product!

Hi, Looks like im in the market for hub assemblies for my wifes 2008 GX. Was wondering what your thoughts were regarding installation, and product quality. My back up plan was to order from bluepitbearings.com but would like to support a forum member since I also own a 99 4RNR. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-11-16, 06:03 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck208
Hi, Looks like im in the market for hub assemblies for my wifes 2008 GX. Was wondering what your thoughts were regarding installation, and product quality. My back up plan was to order from bluepitbearings.com but would like to support a forum member since I also own a 99 4RNR. Thanks for your input.
Like I said, the product looked great, and it made install a much easier project than messing around with bearings and seals. Bolt off old, bolt on new, reassemble.
Old 01-29-16, 09:42 PM
NiftyNeud
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GX470 front axle seals

Did you have to replace the axle - differential and wheel bearing seals or were you able to re-use the seals??
Old 01-30-16, 01:42 PM
NiftyNeud
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Morphyne
d to say. but that does sound pretty early. Don't remember when the first bearing went out. Maybe this summer/early spring. so that would have been around 145-150k. my second bearing is now shot and I have 160k on the clock.
I'm doing mine now just getting parts. My 04 gx470 has 208k (kms) and the bearings are definitely shot. I'm changing out drive shafts, hubs, bearings, rotors, pads, and all the seals. I'll see how it goes
Old 04-14-17, 07:54 AM
helocat
Driver School Candidate

Tip: Treat the new bearings inner black surface with caution/care as it's the pick up ring for your ABS system. So once out of the box/bag dont set it ring side down on the shop floor.
Old 05-12-17, 06:29 AM
nj636
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2

Thank you for posting the link to my thread on T4R

I am more than happy to extend my deals to club lexus. I have had many customers mention they found me by suggestions in this thread.

I have a website that you can order from from as well, i'll stick it in here if that's ok.

www.jerseybuilthubs.com

Thanks guys! Anyway I can help, let me know.
Old 03-28-18, 09:46 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheel bearing done; CV axle done; still BIG grinding sound in LOW 4

I've changed many a wheel bearing in my family "fleet" of 7 cars and a Harley. The bearing was easy and though I thought the sound was better, there was still a "grind" to it.

So, then, I replace the CV Axle with one I found on-line (Amazon -
DTA TO22002200 front Left Right Pair - 2 New Premium CV Axles Fit 4WD FJ Cruiser; 2005-2014 4WD Tacoma; 2003-2014 4WD 4 Runner; GX460, GX470). It was a little difficult pulling the old one out, but with a slide hammer and CV attachment from Autozone, I eventually got it out (weather was my biggest hurdle). Anyway, I still had the noise. I thought it was a tiny bit better and I figured it had to do with the seal that came with the bearing not being the same as the one that came with the CV axle. I'd installed the new one with the bearing, but thought the very small difference could account for the noise ... soooooo .... I pulled it all apart again and took out the two-week old seal that had been driven a total of about 15 miles testing and put in the new one that came with the CV and there was NO improvement.

Now, it FINALLY occurred to me to put it in LOW 4 and I realize it's got a MAJOR griding sound in Low 4. Would that mean I need a new front differential? I tried doing a rear differential on my '04 Chevy Z71 Suburban and I was a total failure. I could not get it done due to the complexities of the spacers and tolerances.

I have NOT replaced the bearings and CV axle on the driver side (it's honestly sounded like the noise was coming from the passenger side, but that could be deceiving because the wheel-well splash shield is missing from that side. I do have another CV Axle since I bought them in pairs, but I don't have another bearing (I purchased my already pressed).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm working 10-1/2 hour days and trying to get this done in my "off" time, but I just don't have much money to spare. I might try to take a video tomorrow, but if anyone has any ideas now, I'd really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: GX470 - How to replace Front Wheel Axle bearing and Seal replacement