GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brake Recomendations

Old 11-21-14, 07:58 AM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Recomendations

I performed a search and found some recommendations, but none from the last 2 years. I'm about to do my front and rear pads and rotors. I priced at Sewell's and got approx 500 for the rotors, pads, shims, installation kit. Any good non-oem recommendations based on experience? I'm not looking to go the ebay route and want a good setup for the truck for less than OEM. Thanks!
Old 11-21-14, 10:10 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with tirerack.com ...

For about $440 shipped, i got everything for front and rear.

Front:
Brembo Blank Rotors
Hawk LTS Pads (great pads)

Rear:
Brembo Blank Rotors
Centric Posi Quiet Pads

Very happy with these brakes and the performance of the brake system. It sure feels better than any OEM pads i had on before. And the Brembo rotors are pretty high quality. Had them on many cars.

my 2 cents...
Old 11-21-14, 01:08 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

When the time comes, my truck is getting Akebono pads. They're about $45 on amazon. Unless your rotors are below minimum thickness, you can have a NAPA or CarQuest machine them. I think they do them for about $20/ea.
Old 11-21-14, 02:23 PM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dan! I was on tirerack myself earlier and saw mixed reviews. I'll probably go for a similar setup then. It could have been pads that lead to this conclusion. Did you just reuse the shims?

I ended up trying cryo rotors in the front since they are supposed to help with warping, which my current ones are.
Old 11-21-14, 02:25 PM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Blackcat, that's good to know in the future. I currently actually need new rotors based on the current condition from the previous owner. In the future though, I will be going that route.
Old 11-23-14, 10:04 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dashome
Thanks Dan! I was on tirerack myself earlier and saw mixed reviews. I'll probably go for a similar setup then. It could have been pads that lead to this conclusion. Did you just reuse the shims?

I ended up trying cryo rotors in the front since they are supposed to help with warping, which my current ones are.
I am pretty sure my pads came with new shims, included.
Old 11-23-14, 06:06 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any other GX reviews on Brembo rotors?

IIRC, Booyah might've gone this route...

Happy Thanksgiving all you turkeys.

Old 11-24-14, 01:32 PM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
When the time comes, my truck is getting Akebono pads. They're about $45 on amazon. Unless your rotors are below minimum thickness, you can have a NAPA or CarQuest machine them. I think they do them for about $20/ea.
I will also be going with Akebono pads. I need to replace my rotors and was going to go with Centric Premium Rotors.
Old 11-24-14, 09:59 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by coloboardi
I will also be going with Akebono pads. I need to replace my rotors and was going to go with Centric Premium Rotors.
I odered Akebono pads for both axles almost $100 on ebay and Centric premium rotors from Rockauto for front and rear about $201 including shipping a week ago. But i think i gonna change them when weather get better it is so cold now.
If you get them changed before me please keep us updated ! Thanks !
Old 12-01-14, 09:28 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EBC rotors and Hawk LTS pads are working awesome for me...
Old 12-01-14, 01:09 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I actually would not recommend OEM rotors or pads.

I've had issues with the brakes from the get-go, and it only seemed to become resolved when I went aftermarket. You can view the forum and it seems "warped" rotors are a big issue with these models.

I finally installed new Centric premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet pads and the warping seems to have finally gotten fixed. It's smooth as glass now and has been for close to a year. And it's probably less than half what Lexus charges.

Not sure what is up with Lexus rotors but they just seemed to constantly warped until I ditched them.
Old 12-01-14, 09:06 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I actually would not recommend OEM rotors or pads.

I've had issues with the brakes from the get-go, and it only seemed to become resolved when I went aftermarket. You can view the forum and it seems "warped" rotors are a big issue with these models.

I finally installed new Centric premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet pads and the warping seems to have finally gotten fixed. It's smooth as glass now and has been for close to a year. And it's probably less than half what Lexus charges.

Not sure what is up with Lexus rotors but they just seemed to constantly warped until I ditched them.
Exactly, i hate OEM rotors so much it is easy to get warping that why never go back with OEM rotors. Centric premium rotors seem work good to me.
Old 12-04-14, 09:18 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree with you 100% Brad...removed OEM rotors and pads all the way around that were warped ( which are the same as what 4Runner uses) never had an issue on my 4Runner... installed advanced auto best rotors and pads...500 miles later pedal pulse was back... proper bedding was done and proper lug torque performed...removed those rotors and pads and installed EBC slotted sport rotors and HAWK LTS pads all the way around...perfect brake's now...
Old 01-05-15, 03:09 PM
Dashome
Driver School Candidate

As an update for the community:
Front:
-Hawk LTS Pads
-StopTech Sport Slotted Cryo-Treated Rotors

Rear:
-Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
-Brembo rotors

I bedded them per instructions and have had great results since the Thanksgiving weekend. Good luck to all members considering non-OEM!
Old 01-06-15, 05:34 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have always had great success with Brembo blanks on my other cars... anyone try the EBC 'stuff' pads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Recomendations