GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

VSC and Airbag lights (no Check Engine) and other electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 05:48 PM
UGAdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VSC and Airbag lights (no Check Engine) and other electrical issues

My dad has a 2005 Lexus GX 470. Out of no where, the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and AIRBAG lights came on. The CHECK ENGINE light is off. The screen stopped working but will come on when audio is pressed but then goes back off. The clock reset as well and the remote key lock and unlock no longer works.

I read in another forum another person had this same exact issue and there was a blown fuse under the hood (he didn't say which one). He said he replaced it and it fixed everything for about a minute but then the fuse blew again. I am assuming there is a short somewhere in the system.

I have not had the chance to look at the fuses but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows what the fix was.

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-18-14, 06:29 PM
cataphora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally just encountered this problem this afternoon. 2008 gx470 with 65k on the odometer. My wife was driving and texted me a picture of lights that went off on the dash. The lights weren't exactly like yours. Mine were the vsc off, vsc trac, "skidding" icon and cel.
Only thing that I ccould think of was that I drove in the torrential rain last night here in NYC and went over some puddles but nothing that I felt was overly concerning. None the less, I took off the gas cap and put it back on, disconnected the battery (just the negative connection) for 30 minutes.
Came back hooked everything back and fired up the truck and no light. Drove for about 15 minutes and the lights stayed off. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 11-19-14, 10:20 AM
UGAdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issue resolved!!!

After doing some trouble shooting I found the ECU-b fuse under the hood was blown. I replaced it and all was fixed until I put the SUV in reverse. Come to find out there is a known issue with the driver door mirror actuator. When the SUV is placed in reverse, the mirror tilts down. The actuator shorts out very often (so much Lexus issued a TSB on it). When the mirror tilts down it shorts out and blows the fuse.

For a temp fix, place your mirror switch in the center and don't adjust the driver mirror. If the switch is in center, the mirror will not move when you go into reverse.

For a permanent fix, call Lexus and see if you are under warranty. If you are not ask them to cover half of the charge to repair. We were out of warranty and they paid for half of repair so we had to pay $100 out of pocket. All is good to go now!

Also, if your windows stopped working from the driver door, do this:

Roll each window down halfway from the door itself. Then press and hold up to roll them up and then hold up for at least two seconds after they are fully up. Do this for each window and it will fix that issue as well.
Old 06-14-20, 05:33 PM
kdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile You guys rock! Replace ECU-B fuse.

You guys rock!

My wife has a 2008 GX470. Out of nowhere:
  1. VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti-skid lights come on.
  2. Airbag light comes on.
  3. Keyfob buttons on both keyfobs fail to work.
  4. Check Engine Light (CEL) is OK and does NOT come on which makes this different from most of the other threads as there is no ODBII code to read.
Sounds familiar to UGAdaddy from 6 years ago?

Problem: 10 Amp ECU-B fuse has blown.
Resolution: replace fuse.

I am a bit of newbie so I will add some of the other references and tips that helped me muddle through:
  1. Fusebox diagram: https://www.autogenius.info/lexus-gx...e-box-diagram/
  2. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...use-blows.html
  3. Open the engine fuse box from the rear (steering wheel side) with a gentle push and lift on the plastic button. The front side are kinda hinges and not clips to undo. Aarg.
  4. You can pull the fuses with the handy white fuse puller.
  5. It was hard to tell by visual inspection if the switch was blown so you can switch it with an easy-to-test fuse (horn in slot 34). After swapping the horn fails but all of the original problems are resolved.
  6. Need to order a new fuse for the horn now.
Enjoy,

Kevin.

Old 06-15-20, 05:38 AM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I might have a similar issue. When I got in my 2004 GX this morning and started backing out of the garage I noticed the VSC Trac and VSC Off lights were illuminated but no CEL or any other issues. The shocks also seemed to be in their stiffest setting and changing the dial on the console does not seem to matter. When I arrived at work I also noticed the side view mirrors are no longer adjustable and the clock had reset itself almost like I had pulled the battery.

Being a Monday I dont really have time for a proper diagnosis but hopefully can figure something out within the next few days.
Old 01-05-21, 04:03 PM
borgunit
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tried the fuse replacement and it worked like a charm. If anyone is still following this thread. Is the item that is shorting out in the mirror itself or the mirror adjustment pad? Sounds like you are describing the mirror itself. thanks.