GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Off Road accessories

Old 06-05-16, 08:27 AM
CarCzar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road accessories

I just purchased my 1 owner 105k mike GX 470, it Has all the service records from Lexus Dealer. I want to slowly do some upgrades for trail riding. Not lookin for heavy off road use. Thinking mild lift, front bull bar with lights or maybe winch bumper. Looking for some advice on where to find parts that will match up. In my younger days I did a lot of off roaring in Jeep CJ's with radical suspensions, etc and there were lots of options - now just looking for mild upgrades for trail riding and camping from the UP in Michigan to Kentucky and everywhere in between. Thanks for any help the community can provide.
Old 06-05-16, 10:45 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/colo...-build.915214/

For a moderate lift I would do mine exactly again.

A winch is a lot of weight and changes the suspension needs tremendously. Too much trouble.

If you need a winch I would do the OME with the slightly longer front spring.

Last edited by co4wheel; 06-05-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 02:42 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im planning on going a lot of places with mine offroad and the only upgrade i have is AT 265/70r17 tires.

I have not run into trouble yet but if i do, Ill ditch the running boards and lift her 1.5" and see where that gets me. These things are wildly capable bone stock.
Old 06-07-16, 03:28 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I saw a thread where a guy put two light bars in the openings in the front bumper. Please dont buy big ugly KC lights on one of these.

See thread below:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/led-...nstall.891421/
Old 06-16-16, 07:34 AM
dankunz
Driver School Candidate

Upgrades are very possible. MetalTech4x4 is making bumpers now.

I went with a Prado bumper, and quite a few other things

Old 06-24-16, 09:17 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Originally Posted by dankunz
Upgrades are very possible. MetalTech4x4 is making bumpers now.

I went with a Prado bumper, and quite a few other things
Dan, welcome to the site... I was following what you did on IH8Mud for a while. Your rig is pretty exceptional. I showed my wife what I wanted to do with mine, used your picture as an example and the first thing she said is, "What is that thing coming out of the hood?" I lied and told her it was a rocket launcher...

I told her I wouldnt be doing that, but I am going to lift mine... If you don't mind me asking, since you did the suspension upgrade and upgraded the brakes,

1. I noticed you still have a bit of rake towards the front (I'm assuming because you put the heavier springs in the rear to handle all your goodies) Does it dive much under hard braking?

2. Those EBC's how do you like them? Which ones did you go with? Any regrets?
Old 06-27-16, 02:45 AM
808Cruzr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/Lexus-GX470-2006-parts.aspx

Purchased products from these guys when I had my 4Runner. No complaints and they seem to be leaning forward on GX470 accessories as far as I can tell.

Joel
Old 06-27-16, 05:50 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

They have some nice stuff, however when compared to Rock Road Outfitters, the price is a bit higher. I've got to change my tires and suspension out soon. Two of my tires sidewalls are cracking something awful and i'm loosing air in them slowly. My Struts and shocks are blown as well.

Hillariously, the air suspension is in tip top shape.
Old 07-04-16, 01:36 PM
dankunz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SkeetShoot
Dan, welcome to the site... I was following what you did on IH8Mud for a while. Your rig is pretty exceptional. I showed my wife what I wanted to do with mine, used your picture as an example and the first thing she said is, "What is that thing coming out of the hood?" I lied and told her it was a rocket launcher...

I told her I wouldnt be doing that, but I am going to lift mine... If you don't mind me asking, since you did the suspension upgrade and upgraded the brakes,

1. I noticed you still have a bit of rake towards the front (I'm assuming because you put the heavier springs in the rear to handle all your goodies) Does it dive much under hard braking?

2. Those EBC's how do you like them? Which ones did you go with? Any regrets?
1. The rake is not bad. 1" front to back. The expedition springs do level or when I load out.

2. Ebc yellow stuff. No regrets at all.

Arbs and 4.56 gears with an anti rock away are going on presently.
Old 07-05-16, 05:47 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Nice^^ I saw you on iH8Mud you had some gear issues. You must have a very understanding wife with all the components you put into your rig. Thats some serious kit you are putting on.

Alas, mine will mostly be a street queen. I live in a state where 4 wheeling is basically outlawed. I'm putting new Stub axles in this week, Suspension will likely go on this weekend. and new tires mounted. I decided against going to 285's as I didnt want to get new wheels and don't feel 100% secure with spacers. 265/70/17's will do just fine for me.

I think I might look into the yellow's. the brakes that came with those rotors just take a little while to heat up and engage. I feel like I'm really pushing the petal down to get the vehicle to slow down.
I suppose its also possible that there might be some air in the system, but I doubt it.
Old 07-11-16, 04:52 AM
dankunz
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I have an understanding...she doesnt ask what I spend on the truck and I don't ask how much she spends shopping :P

My brakes are soft as well. Having them bled again today, but I have had them on and off so many times who knows how much air I have put in there lately. It is due!
Old 07-11-16, 05:11 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Got it Dan... I don't have that arrangement with my wife, especially since she is addicted to purses. I clear most purchases with her, so when we take our annual trip down to West Palm Beach, FL, she doesn't go buying a $2K purse.

Regarding the brakes, I wonder if its just a condition with these vehicles... I've driven the 5th gen 4runner, and the brakes, I thought were pretty good. Its tough for me. My other vehicle is a F10 BMW 535i and the brakes on that are sooooo sensitive. Swapping between the two vehicles, sometimes its like going from hard a rock to soft as a marshmallow.