GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Found it! '08 KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 10:04 PM
Ontario102
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found it! '08 KDSS

After a few weeks of searching in the Pacific NW, CA, Texas, Vegas, ..... I'm replacing my FJ with a KDSS '08 GX 470 with a bit less than 80k mi. for $26,500 + $125 fees. One owner, Carfax typically recorded 5,000 mi interval service, no issues. Looks clean.

Factory installed equipment includes:

5E: Exhaust Tip
C1: Cargo Mat
GN: Cargo Net
MZ: Lexus Link (Digital)
NL: Navigation/Mark Levinson Audio Package
SP: Sport Package
TH: LUXURY VALUE EDITION
TO: Towing Prep Package
WL: Wheel Locks
Z1: Preferred Accessory Package

I used the Toyota Technical Information System website to scour accessible areas (to me) to screen VIN #'s for KDSS and confirm factory installed options in general. They also have service and other useful manuals.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/

The website costs $15 for three days, but well worth the cash.

I called one dealer out on BS for advertising KDSS/sports package on a GX when it, in fact, did not have it. Not that it's a huge price difference, but the dealer I'm getting it from doesn't even know. Dealers are typically clueless about most every option unless the DVD player is staring them in the face and ML on the speakers.

Traveling this weekend to confirm all is well with the truck and close the deal. It's unbelievable how few are out there in the 07-09 range.

Already thinking about mods <sigh>
Old 08-12-14, 11:08 AM
NR04
Rookie

Default A thought to consider

Are you specifically looking for KDSS for its off-road prowess? I did the same thing 18 months ago. I looked several months and when a 2006 sports with KDSS became available at a local dealer, I was able to purchase it for $23,500.

I'm building the rig mostly for a mild expedition styled driving and I'm about half way through the mods. I love the vehicle, but if I had to do it all over again, I'm not 100%certain I'd look for the KDSS model. This is because KDSS plumbing runs all along the driver side frame rail. I have to get a local fabricator to custom build a rock slider because there is no way I can use the readily available 4Runner sliders. I also have to modify the front skid plate because the beefy sway bars get in the way.

Another reason is that all the KDSS models I saw comes with a Navigation package. I hate the original Nav. The 2008 has the updated Nav and it may be slightly better, but the stock Lexus Nav from mid 200's leaves a lot to be desired. What I failed to realize at the time is how difficult it is to replace the unit because of its integrated climate control. I'm still trying to find a reasonably priced used climate control from an used non-Nav unit and rewire the system.

So.... If I had to to do it all over again, I would probably search for a model without KDSS and definitely without a Nav. Now having said that, the one cool thing about the sports package is that you get the dark grey wood trim. It looks great with my grey leather interior.

Just thought I'd share my experience so you know what you're getting into. By the way, the KDSS does help in wheel articulation during off-roading. I just don't think it's worth all that trouble.
Old 08-12-14, 05:17 PM
Ontario102
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insight.

I'm was looking for KDSS not only for better off-road capabilities, but for on road enhancements. The ride is much nicer for both, for sure. And for off-road, I didn't want to go though the time and expense of suspension upgrades.

That's good to know about the sliders, I was planning on adding those, and didn't hear about that.

Originally Posted by NR04
Are you specifically looking for KDSS for its off-road prowess? I did the same thing 18 months ago. I looked several months and when a 2006 sports with KDSS became available at a local dealer, I was able to purchase it for $23,500.

I'm building the rig mostly for a mild expedition styled driving and I'm about half way through the mods. I love the vehicle, but if I had to do it all over again, I'm not 100%certain I'd look for the KDSS model. This is because KDSS plumbing runs all along the driver side frame rail. I have to get a local fabricator to custom build a rock slider because there is no way I can use the readily available 4Runner sliders. I also have to modify the front skid plate because the beefy sway bars get in the way.

Another reason is that all the KDSS models I saw comes with a Navigation package. I hate the original Nav. The 2008 has the updated Nav and it may be slightly better, but the stock Lexus Nav from mid 200's leaves a lot to be desired. What I failed to realize at the time is how difficult it is to replace the unit because of its integrated climate control. I'm still trying to find a reasonably priced used climate control from an used non-Nav unit and rewire the system.

So.... If I had to to do it all over again, I would probably search for a model without KDSS and definitely without a Nav. Now having said that, the one cool thing about the sports package is that you get the dark grey wood trim. It looks great with my grey leather interior.

Just thought I'd share my experience so you know what you're getting into. By the way, the KDSS does help in wheel articulation during off-roading. I just don't think it's worth all that trouble.
Old 08-13-14, 11:17 AM
napstermik
Driver School Candidate

i like the nav in my 2005 GX470 better than I did in my 2007 Subaru Legacy! Alot better.
Old 08-15-14, 10:44 AM
Ontario102
Driver School Candidate

Not a big fan of the integrated climate control and its operation on this rig. I think all of the ones I was looking at had the Nav. Certainly not the greatest system, and pretty old at this point. Hopefully the display and climate control continues to work even if the nav doesn't. Options for replacement seems to be very limited or expensive (like $5300) unless you can find one salvaged.
Old 08-24-14, 01:29 AM
wallen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information re: TIS. I was aware service information is available via TIS but I didn't know about pulling VIN information.

I'll be on the look out for a GX upon moving back to the US near the end of this year. I have already stricken the NAV and ML systems off my search list. I don't expect to do much off roading but there will be a lot of trailer towing and driving in the snow.

Originally Posted by Ontario102
After a few weeks of searching in the Pacific NW, CA, Texas, Vegas, ..... I'm replacing my FJ with a KDSS '08 GX 470 with a bit less than 80k mi. for $26,500 + $125 fees. One owner, Carfax typically recorded 5,000 mi interval service, no issues. Looks clean.

Factory installed equipment includes:

5E: Exhaust Tip
C1: Cargo Mat
GN: Cargo Net
MZ: Lexus Link (Digital)
NL: Navigation/Mark Levinson Audio Package
SP: Sport Package
TH: LUXURY VALUE EDITION
TO: Towing Prep Package
WL: Wheel Locks
Z1: Preferred Accessory Package

I used the Toyota Technical Information System website to scour accessible areas (to me) to screen VIN #'s for KDSS and confirm factory installed options in general. They also have service and other useful manuals.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/

The website costs $15 for three days, but well worth the cash.

I called one dealer out on BS for advertising KDSS/sports package on a GX when it, in fact, did not have it. Not that it's a huge price difference, but the dealer I'm getting it from doesn't even know. Dealers are typically clueless about most every option unless the DVD player is staring them in the face and ML on the speakers.

Traveling this weekend to confirm all is well with the truck and close the deal. It's unbelievable how few are out there in the 07-09 range.

Already thinking about mods <sigh>
Old 09-01-14, 09:35 AM
ST2Alpha
Driver School Candidate

You guys are awesome! I'm learning so much about the GXs. I begin shopping for a 2009 in (2) more months. Thanks to you all, I want be going in blind.

PA
Old 09-03-14, 06:28 PM
Ontario102
Driver School Candidate

Here's some picts. I love this rig; so smooth on 2 track roads, let alone streets. One unexpected issue is that I have to replace the windshield due to severe "speckling" not noticed during the test drive. Would have gotten a few hundred more off......
I should have gotten one of these 2 years ago, but then I wouldn't have found this gem.
Attached Thumbnails Found it! '08 KDSS-20140903_181753r.jpg   Found it! '08 KDSS-20140903_181724r.jpg   Found it! '08 KDSS-20140903_181708r.jpg   Found it! '08 KDSS-20140903_181653r.jpg   Found it! '08 KDSS-20140830_150108r.jpg  

Last edited by Ontario102; 09-03-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 07:03 PM
Ontario102
Driver School Candidate

KDSS actually does function on normal roads, but, unless you drive over a REALLY big pothole, won't disengage the stabilizer bars. It surely adds to roll stability and general dampening.

Great video here:

Next weeks install is a audio streaming Bluetooth adapter and front window tint:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=36

Now I only have to figure out how to get rock rails on......

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
kdss does not function in normal on-road use (so the description of it says that, but it is supposed to give better on-road stability than non-kdss). and at least for me, i wouldnt want the extra hydraulic tubings and what-not under the vehicle while off-roading, just seems like more stuff to break and/or get in the way.

just saw a few u toobs on kdss, mostly 4runner stuff, but the toyoat guy says you cant use the brakes on steep downhill otherwise "it" will disengage, not sure if he meant the auto-downhill assist or the kdss.
Old 09-04-14, 09:07 AM
470SNC
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats! I almost went with a red GX myself, looks great!