GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Getting new GX470 - Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 07:51 AM
dan007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting new GX470 - Pls help

Hi,

I'm in the market of buying SUV and GX is on my radar. However I cant afford the new one so looking to buy the first gen. Have a few questions and would appreciate if you guys can answer these:

1) Which is the best model year with least problems? I was thinking 2007 as I think it received some some feature updates. Or is it same as 04-06? Which one would you recommend?

2) I cant find any Lexus dealer with with less than 08 in my area which they're asking close to 30K, which is way too much. I'm looking spend no more than 20K. There are these small used car dealers but I have always tried to stay away from them. Would you recommend getting a Lexus from such small mom n pop shops with 100K+ files? Also, do you think i can get 07 for 20K?

3) What are the things i should look out for while buying GX. Are there any known issues which can yield costly repairs?

4) Can the second row seat fit one 1 adult and 2 kids (9-13) comfortably (without car seat)?

5) How good is 3rd row seat? All the pictures I see of used cars, the seats appear tilted and they also appear very low to the floor. Can my kids actually sit in those seats for a long distance? Recently my 13 yr old felt cramped in the the MDX in the third row seat.

6) Also, gas mileage wise is there is a big difference between GX and LX, i know its bigger and heavier but is the difference only one or two MPG, i might consider that.

My second choice would be Honda Pilot which actually is a complete package from configuration perspective but I have always had Honda and Acura and was looking for more luxury and smooth/quiet ride.

I know its a long post but would really appreciate a response, thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-14, 08:45 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have a Carmax in the area see if they will ship one of these up your way for free. There is an 06 with 54k miles on it
http://www.carmax.com/search?ANa=429...esults:results page
Old 08-02-14, 09:16 AM
dan007
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll explore this option. There isnt any in NJ but the nearest one is in PA which is ~70 miles.

Still, could you answer my other questions?

Originally Posted by burny
If you have a Carmax in the area see if they will ship one of these up your way for free. There is an 06 with 54k miles on itu g
http://www.carmax.com/search?ANa=429...esults:results page
Old 08-02-14, 10:29 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dan007
Hi,

I'm in the market of buying SUV and GX is on my radar. However I cant afford the new one so looking to buy the first gen. Have a few questions and would appreciate if you guys can answer these:

1) Which is the best model year with least problems? I was thinking 2007 as I think it received some some feature updates. Or is it same as 04-06? Which one would you recommend?

2) I cant find any Lexus dealer with with less than 08 in my area which they're asking close to 30K, which is way too much. I'm looking spend no more than 20K. There are these small used car dealers but I have always tried to stay away from them. Would you recommend getting a Lexus from such small mom n pop shops with 100K+ files? Also, do you think i can get 07 for 20K?
Probably not unless very high mileage.

3) What are the things i should look out for while buying GX. Are there any known issues which can yield costly repairs?
Radiator leak, cracked dash. Make sure rear air bags are working. You can hear them inflating and deflating

4) Can the second row seat fit one 1 adult and 2 kids (9-13) comfortably (without car seat)?
Yes

5) How good is 3rd row seat? All the pictures I see of used cars, the seats appear tilted and they also appear very low to the floor. Can my kids actually sit in those seats for a long distance? Recently my 13 yr old felt cramped in the the MDX in the third row seat.
Excellent for kids

6) Also, gas mileage wise is there is a big difference between GX and LX, i know its bigger and heavier but is the difference only one or two MPG, i might consider that.
similiar

My second choice would be Honda Pilot which actually is a complete package from configuration perspective but I have always had Honda and Acura and was looking for more luxury and smooth/quiet ride.

I know its a long post but would really appreciate a response, thanks in advance!
Hope this helps. By the way, that 06 with 54k already sold this morning

Last edited by burny; 08-02-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-02-14, 02:04 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by dan007
Hi,

!
I can comment on a couple of your questions.

First, The second row will likely be okay for an adult and 2 kids if the smallest one is in the middle, but room will be a little tight, especially for the person in the middle.

I consider the 3rd row seats in the GX to be suitable only for use in an emergency and only for relatively short distances. They would probably be okay for a relatively small child, but space in the seats themselves and leg room is quite limited. Also, climbing into and out of the third row seating area is somewhat awkward. It requires folding one of the second row seats forward and, then, being somewhat of a contortionist. Also, when the third row seats are not in use and are folded up, they significantly reduce the capacity of the space behind the second row seats. The only good thing is that, if the third row seats are not needed, they can be removed from the vehicle quite easily. When I bought my GX new in 2005, the third row seats were packaged with the navigation system. Had I been able to buy a GX with navigation and without the third row seats, I would have happily done so.

With regard to gas mileage, I do very little driving in stop and go situations, and I regularly get a bit over 20 mpg, which is actually a bit higher than the EPA rating. My driving style, however, is somewhat conservative, and my mpg is probably somewhat higher than most who post here. Since the LX is much heavier and larger, I can't imagine, even with a conservative driving style, getting close to 20 mpg. However, the EPA ratings for the GX and LX for city driving are only about one mpg apart, and I'm not sure how much difference in mpg there would actually be between the GX and LX for urban driving, but my guess would be that it would be closer than it would be for highway driving.
Old 08-02-14, 03:41 PM
dan007
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Burny and Lesz. 20 MPG is pretty good, even MDX averages 15-18.

I find Carmax to be bit expensive, more than the dealership in some cases.

Any thoughts on getting a high mileage one (100K+)? Is that inviting for trouble? I read somewhere these things can last for 500K+
Old 08-03-14, 07:40 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and good luck! There's loads of solid info available here ... including here on the first page of this very GX forum.

Search is your friend.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ould-i-do.html
Old 08-04-14, 11:32 AM
dan007
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your help.

Today I test drove one 09. I REALLY liked the ride (although not as sporty as my Acura) and driver's seat is super comfortable.

But it's so small from inside, the second row seat seat is really meant for two adults and third row seat is a joke. It's so low, it's almost like you are sitting on the floor. Perhaps its only for infants in car seats which I dont see many parents doing as ingress and egress is so difficult and probably dont want to infants in the back anyways. With awkward seat configuration you cant haul much cargo either.

If I were to buy this just for myself, I'd buy this in a heartbeat especially with all the offroad capabilities but I dont see this as a family vehicle. Looks like i'm stuck with the roomy Pilot with poor NVH.
Old 08-04-14, 01:12 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The 3rd row is really meant for pre-teens only. Older than that, and there isn't enough room. Younger than that, and it's a pain to get the booster/child seat back there.

Hondas are not known for their quiet ride. If you're a do-it-yourselfer, you can add sound dampening material to the doors and that will help a lot.

Chip H.