GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-12-14, 03:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

changing front shock absorber on GX470

Old 08-09-16, 09:44 AM
Cueball1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread highjack-
Just replaced my front struts with the 4600 series bilstein. Is there a way to fool the vsc sensor in the top of the stock shock as the bilstein doesn't accommodate them? The vsc lights are on as well as the brake and abs warning lights. Had searched threads and it seemed folks were doing this and not throwing warning lights on. Did I miss something?!? All help greatly appreciated!
Old 08-09-16, 12:24 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cueball1
Thread highjack-
Just replaced my front struts with the 4600 series bilstein. Is there a way to fool the vsc sensor in the top of the stock shock as the bilstein doesn't accommodate them? The vsc lights are on as well as the brake and abs warning lights. Had searched threads and it seemed folks were doing this and not throwing warning lights on. Did I miss something?!? All help greatly appreciated!
if you left the sensor on there the vehicle won't know. But even if unplugged there was supposed to be no lights.

vsc sounded like maybe you knocked out an ABS Sensor or something ?
Old 08-09-16, 02:15 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VSC is stability control. Not shocks.
Old 08-09-16, 03:49 PM
Cueball1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been my understanding that the part screwed into the top of the shock is part of the vsc system though. I'll get this thing back in the air and look at the abs wiring.
Old 08-10-16, 10:17 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The part on top of the shock controls the Dampening. I don't remember what they call it as I removed it and the light associated with it when I put Bilstein's on and removed the fuse and relay for that entire setup.
Old 08-10-16, 01:56 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It's possible that VSC uses the adjustable dampeners in the shocks to help control yaw (stiffen up one side to prevent lean and improve the tire contact patch), but that's pure speculation on my part.

Chip H.
Old 08-10-16, 03:10 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

That's strange because everything I have read you can replace the shock with non active and it should not cause lights.
I have chosen to replace with Lexus part because I have baby who easily wakes up by bumps and so I often use the active suspension.

the front oem shock just costed a little more than other Toyota models and was cheaper than the arnott rebrand bilsteins.

i managed to do the swap by myself with a 18" prybar, my bigger bar won't fit into the hole of the control arm. But it was enough leverage for oem swap as long as I put a lot of my weight on it.
Besides the initial stripped Allen bolts it took time to figure out how to put the shock out of there thru the brake lines. . Scruffed up the axle boot a little but that will be replaced next.
Attached Thumbnails changing front shock absorber on GX470-image.jpeg  

Last edited by SC3coupe; 08-10-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 03:12 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Here is back in with new one. Just need to replace the sway bar endlinks and bushing while it is out.
Attached Thumbnails changing front shock absorber on GX470-image.jpeg  
Old 08-11-16, 05:50 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

That's a nice spring compressor - is it a rental or did you buy it?
I'd much rather use one like that than the "clamps of death" that slip off.

Chip H.
Old 08-11-16, 07:52 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

I have bought that one for the job because I read about how stiff the springs are.
The small clamp is perfect fit for these cars, it did not slip and only needed a few pumps. My only complain is the release is just a full release, but I only compressed it 1/8" off the perch so it didn't have much to release.

It is about $140 from Amazon or eBay. Search for 5500 lbs spring compressor. It's a relatively new import tool.

i drove out with the family yesterday it felt a whole lot better with 4 OEM shocks. Less floaty and more composed. The rear made the biggest difference in getting that crashy feeling then hitting the rear bump stops. The front felt ok before but the rear ride was really bad, you had to be in the back to experience it. The truck not doesn't squad backward much when taking off from a stop now.
Old 03-02-17, 06:51 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@bradtank.

Do you have a GX470? If so, what year? I was looking on Monroe's website and could not find a all in one for my 2003 GX 470.
Old 03-02-17, 09:05 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jasanders
@bradtank.

Do you have a GX470? If so, what year? I was looking on Monroe's website and could not find a all in one for my 2003 GX 470.

You have to get one for a Toyota 4 Runner. I believe they are all the same for the 4Runner from 2003 to 2016.

The reason the aftermarket doesn't have one is that the Lexus version has electronic controls. You'll lose that, but no error messages or issues. I've had them on for a few years now, they work great. OEM ones from Lexus with that control option are stupid expensive.

Really happy with the ride quality, I had no idea how bad the ride had gotten until I replaced them. I didn't want Bilsteins or anything heavy duty, just wanted a daily driver, luxury car ride.
The following users liked this post:
jasanders (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 12:24 PM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

ahhhhh that is true about the electronic control, I forgot about those.

I have been noticing mine getting really shaky feeling in the front and I don't believe my shocks have ever been changed. I just bought the vehicle this year used. I think getting new shocks will make a huge difference like you said. Did you do the rear also?
Old 03-02-17, 03:08 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I put the Monroe Quick Struts on front, Toyota OEM 4 Runner shocks on the rear and kept the stock air bags on (I didn't convert to steel coils for the rear) It has a smooth, luxury car ride. Total price was like $300 for everything. If you went with the Lexus parts it would be a few thousand.

Before, it has a bouncy feeling to it, like it was never settled on the road. It was a bit firm at first, but settled down to where it's pretty perfect. I have an LS430 sedan also and it rides about the same.

If it has over 100k miles and over 10 years, it's probably due. Some people though don't really notice. My wife couldn't really tell but I could.
Old 03-14-17, 05:31 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy VSC lights

Originally Posted by Cueball1
Thread highjack-
I just had my front coil and strut replaced with an all in one strut and shock from Monroe. I believe it was the same one BradTank was talking about. I am now getting the ABS and VSC warning lights on my dash as well. Cueball, did you ever get the problem fixed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing front shock absorber on GX470