GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Yet some more suspension questions . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 05:37 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet some more suspension questions . . .

Now that I have figured out the airbag side of things, I'm trying to decide on shocks which will definitely be replaced with something. But I'm still trying to get a hold of how the stock system works. So I have some very basic questions that I hope the collective can answer (relating to the TEMS/AVS system, not the ride height system). Here goes:

Is the stock system limited to just the comfort . .sport settings, or is there more to it? In other words, is it also reactive to road conditions (automatically changing damping)? Is it tied into the vehicle stability control system?

Also, are all four corners involved the in the system, i.e. wired in, or just the rears? (I'm too lazy to look and it's raining!)

I'll apologize in advance as they are pretty basic questions. But the answers haven't seemed to have come up in the numerous suspension threads I have read. Well, that or my head is just swimming.

Last edited by 6080prado; 04-25-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 06:34 PM
6080prado
Rookie

I suppose I should have googled a bit more because I think I found my own answers. Although feel free to chime in and clarify anything.

It does look like the system is reactive. The dial just gives the computer a range to work with and then it decides how it will dampen the shocks relative to what it is seeing (speed, height, etc). I couldn't find anything to determine if it is tied into the VSC. It seems to make sense that it would be, but who knows.

This is making me lean toward just replacing with OEM. If they can get me to 60-80K, I won't really complain. At that point, I also won't care about just switching to traditional shocks. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-26-14, 09:10 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few points:
1) yes, all 4 corners are wired -- front struts & rear shocks.
2) front shocks are simple 4-position adjustable dampers and are not (based on what I've read) actively adjusted. They just get set by an electric adjuster @ the top of the strut based on your setting on the dash.
3) rear shocks are the "active" bit, I believe. There are accelerometers @ the rear of the truck (and perhaps elsewhere) that feed into the active suspension brain and adjust the rears on the fly. My gut sense is that it's trying to give a smooth ride *and* keep the rear off of the bump stops, but starts failing to be able to after the shocks get ~60k worth of wear.

I had good results getting more mileage out of my rear shocks by unplugging them. They feel more predictable and I'm staying off of the bump stops. YMMV.

My next set of shocks will be bilstein 4600 or 5100. need to figure out if the damping is any different between the two.
Old 04-26-14, 09:59 PM
6080prado
Rookie

According to this vendor: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/i...heavy-duty.cfm, they are valved the same and have the same internal psi. The difference being that the 5100 is designed for lifts and has the zinc coating. But it also says that is at the same height. Shocks for a different lift could be valved differently.

I still haven't tried your experiment of unplugging the OEM. The weekend has been pretty busy, but I will give it a try at some point. The quick AHC adjustment did seem to greatly improve things. I will probably keep driving for at least several days before ordering anything.
Old 04-26-14, 11:03 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that link That clears up some confusion for me. I'm very close to ordering a set of 4-runner spec 4600s.
Old 04-27-14, 09:38 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
My next set of shocks will be bilstein 4600 or 5100. need to figure out if the damping is any different between the two.
I replied to a members post back in Feb. after speaking w/ Bilstein directly since there's a lot of wrong info from individuals out there regarding the two.

5100s and 4600s are valved exactly the same. The only time the valving in the 5100 changes is if you use any of the preset perches to lift the front. I always use 5100s just because I don't like yellow / blue.
Old 04-27-14, 01:59 PM
6080prado
Rookie

I agree about the finish on the 5100s looking better and they are basically priced the same. But if you aren't running a lift, is there any issue with the longer shock causing problems at full extension (i.e. spring issues, or airbags moving)? Or is the travel the same between 4600 and 5100s and the difference being the compressed/extended lengths when using the perches on the 5100s?
Old 04-27-14, 06:28 PM
Sethro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be completely ripping out the stock shocks and airbags and replacing them with a full ICON system. I will post full details here in a separate thread as soon as I get them. Maybe this might be a good option for you.

Seth
Old 06-05-14, 02:53 PM
konrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I replied to a members post back in Feb. after speaking w/ Bilstein directly since there's a lot of wrong info from individuals out there regarding the two.

5100s and 4600s are valved exactly the same. The only time the valving in the 5100 changes is if you use any of the preset perches to lift the front. I always use 5100s just because I don't like yellow / blue.
Originally Posted by 6080prado
I agree about the finish on the 5100s looking better and they are basically priced the same. But if you aren't running a lift, is there any issue with the longer shock causing problems at full extension (i.e. spring issues, or airbags moving)? Or is the travel the same between 4600 and 5100s and the difference being the compressed/extended lengths when using the perches on the 5100s?
Hi RC,

Same question as 6080Prado. Can you safely use 5100s instead of 4600 if you are at stock height?

Thanks
Old 06-30-14, 08:05 PM
JoshBunch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konrod
Hi RC,

Same question as 6080Prado. Can you safely use 5100s instead of 4600 if you are at stock height?

Thanks
Short answer: Probably.

The only time you would ever see a possible issue is if one of your rear wheels were at full extension and the airbag could theoretically come out of its housing on the axle. it would probably fall right back into place, but no guarantees.

If you a dont leave the pavement it doesnt matter, but the 5100 to have more travel in them than stock. I say if you are not lifting get the 4600. If the yellow bugs you, spray them silver or black or pink if you want.
Old 07-01-14, 06:11 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoshBunch
I say if you are not lifting get the 4600.
Eventually he is.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...or-5100-a.html
Old 07-03-14, 04:15 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshBunch
Short answer: Probably.

The only time you would ever see a possible issue is if one of your rear wheels were at full extension and the airbag could theoretically come out of its housing on the axle. it would probably fall right back into place, but no guarantees.

If you a dont leave the pavement it doesnt matter, but the 5100 to have more travel in them than stock. I say if you are not lifting get the 4600. If the yellow bugs you, spray them silver or black or pink if you want.
That sounds quite risky. What if the car has to be put on lift during a service? Based on what you are saying, there is a possibility that the airbag might pop off because of the extension? The last thing I'd want is the airbag side of things to go bad because of relatively smaller savings in going with Bilstein.
Old 07-03-14, 06:08 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Matsui
That sounds quite risky. What if the car has to be put on lift during a service? Based on what you are saying, there is a possibility that the airbag might pop off because of the extension? The last thing I'd want is the airbag side of things to go bad because of relatively smaller savings in going with Bilstein.
A recent member had a shop damage one of his airbags and he had all stock suspension.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...o-excited.html

Make sure you tell any shop to do this and you should be ok;
  1. Hit the off button on the ride height control switch, or you do it before dropping it off. As long as you don't go over 20MPH (close enough) it won't turn back on. Once it's off the system won't try to level itself while on the lift IF they need your GX on and or running.