GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement of Trans oil on GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 02:31 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

almost 300k now
Old 10-12-15, 06:29 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Whatever....put another 25K trouble free miles after change and then traded it for an 09 with 30,000 miles.
Old 10-13-15, 06:28 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
is that what the dealer told you?? idiots if they did

1) the filter could be ripped, or may become torn in this type of flush process. how exactly does it clean the filter, pushing the fluid backwards? that would not be wise.
2) there are magnets in the pan holding crap and that crap should not stay there, this is why we drop the pan, and while dropped, you inspect things and put on a new filter. the crap on the magnets can also give you a clue as to how the system is shedding metals, too much metal is a bad thing, etc. and, get a UOA of the trans fluid, it can also help show signs of issues and in what shape that "for life" oil really is.

Lexus (toyota) sales jargon at best.
So...changing the timing belt @ 90K is sales jargon too
Old 10-14-15, 04:09 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Then why does Lexus not recommend this in their maintenance section..
Old 10-14-15, 06:58 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Then why does Lexus not recommend this in their maintenance section..
Because they didn't when the manual was printed, and haven't been forced to change their stance by a string of trans failures and a class action lawsuit. Doesn't mean it isn't best practice.
The following users liked this post:
anyoldiron (03-03-17)
Old 10-14-15, 08:06 AM
techrep
Pole Position

I agree with you...it should be serviced.. but, the book tells everybody its not required and even that it's not serviceable... ran into the same thing with the 4runner we had. all good !!
Old 10-14-15, 08:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you have to argue with them then all of a sudden they tell you they do have the machine to do it.
its more important to flush the fluid than change the filter, although some prefer to do both.
the filter is actually a large screen and generally won't clog up, some people just clean it out and pop it back in.
I usually dont bother as long as you keep the fluid changed at the right intervals you wont get a whole lot of debris or trouble.

audi says the same thing about their automatics, aka the lifetime fluid and can't change filter, except that you actually can do both of those things and should because every automatic audi I have ever been around has had a failed trans at some point. they don't even care when it happens and its usually 3k+ to replace the transmission with another one that will fail in the same way. We once bought a 2.7t automatic at auction and got the lemon warranty, and the very next day it wouldn't reverse or go forward properly anymore, lucky had the warranty so the auction buys it back only lost a couple hundred on it instead of the whole car being a loss, but it helps to be aware of the issues I only got the warranty cause they are known to fail and sneaky people try and pass them on when they are on the last leg.
not sure whats worse the cars that seem to have lifetime fluids killing transmissions, or dealers trying to pass on those cars to someone else at the auction. certain year maxima's also have the same issue cause they started uses volvo transmissions. I myself will never buy another audi or nissan unless its a manual transmission which actually work quite well.
Old 10-14-15, 03:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah they all have a breather like the diff's, which is why when you cross in high water you gotta do a drain and refill.

you may find it funny to know my 2003 has a transmission dipstick, but the 2004 doesn't.
So originally in '03 when the supercharger was also available, it was clearly serviceable the old fashioned way.
in 04 they changed that, removed the supercharger option, and redid the tow hitch, and added tpms.

I find it really nice to have a transmission dipstick, something about checking it and seeing clean fluid makes me feel all warm inside. with the 2004 you wouldn't know till you start draining the thing or pop a line off the trans cooler in the front.
Old 10-15-15, 07:25 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah they all have a breather like the diff's, which is why when you cross in high water you gotta do a drain and refill.

you may find it funny to know my 2003 has a transmission dipstick, but the 2004 doesn't.
So originally in '03 when the supercharger was also available, it was clearly serviceable the old fashioned way.
in 04 they changed that, removed the supercharger option, and redid the tow hitch, and added tpms.

I find it really nice to have a transmission dipstick, something about checking it and seeing clean fluid makes me feel all warm inside. with the 2004 you wouldn't know till you start draining the thing or pop a line off the trans cooler in the front.
There was a SC option for GX's in '03?!? That would really change the truck! Anyone ever seen one equipped on a GX?

Have you looked to see if the dipstick is something you could retrofit to the newer trans, or is the case casting different? Not that I'm interested for myself, but some might be while they were already in there kind of thing.
Old 10-15-15, 08:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah the GX was "briefly" available with it as an option just like the early year tundra's, but it was discontinued very quickly. I have not seen one in person yet on a GX but I think it does exist.

here is one being sold off a wrecked GX
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx4...ercharger.html

here is a thread with a picture of a supercharged GX
*Edit* looks like he ordered it and installed it nevermind...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...continued.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...nd-stable.html

I haven't looked to see where the dipstick comes out of or if there is a spot on the newer trans for it, will give it a look if they just plugged the hole that would be easy to retrofit, if you have to drill the hole, well then the trans would likely have to come down to drain out the shavings.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-15-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 10:13 AM
semayorg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a fairly new owner of my GX and I just hit 170k miles. I have read up and down about opinions on changing and intervals. I am fairly certain my trans oil is original. Has anybody gone WITHOUT changing their fluid? I feel as I have already passed any sort of normal mileage replacement period.

Last edited by semayorg; 10-15-15 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 11:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

lots of people probably go way over the trans fluid interval since Lexus claims there isn't one, but I can tell you that when I did it on the 2004 that had old nasty fluid @256K, the car shifted much smoother and firmer after the flush, my wife even noticed the difference. I have no idea if it was original fluid or not (i hope it wasnt) but the transmission was working alright before I did it but felt much better afterwards. so in short its never too late to do it if your transmission is still operating, do it sooner then instead of later in fact. It will give it a new lease on life and also improve how it shifts some.

these transmissions and transfer case and diff are so well built they only die if you literally never change the fluid or run them without fluid. even if you never change the fluid I would suspect all the above could last till at least 300k miles before failure (many people consider that like 3 car lifetimes but I don't I expect my toyota's to go till 500k easy), but if you change them even every 150k, then the sky is the limit. there are lots of 4runners with essentially the same drivetrain at over 500k, and our car has an updated version of those transmissions with a stronger gearing. I would recommend flushing all of those, and then enjoy them for the next 120k. The actual killer of these cars is rust, not mileage, so check the frame and if there are any issues address them right away with a protective coating.
Old 10-15-15, 11:45 AM
semayorg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I have the 03 so I can use the dipstick to check and the fluid is not anywhere near black, still got a deep cherry look. I replaced all the other driveline fluids as well. I'll probably change it at 200k, although my local Lexus and Toyota says they do not do this service.
Old 10-15-15, 12:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah if it hasn't turned black then its in decent shape. itll turn black and start to smell burnt eventually. I would plan to do it but if its still has red to it you can hold off a little longer. it may have been changed at some point likely.
Old 10-15-15, 12:39 PM
semayorg
Driver School Candidate

I am only going off the absence of a maintenance record for the transmission fluid and the fact that when I got it at 150k miles it still had the original timing belt and water pump on it.

BTW, nice SC. I have a Supra myself. Although being stock twins, you are definitely faster than I am.

Quick Reply: Replacement of Trans oil on GX