GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement of Trans oil on GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 01:27 PM
hochiminh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought because Toyota WS has a really good reputation for non-racing applications.
Old 01-02-19, 09:55 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

last week i sent the truck in to do the trans fluid while they had it for it's oil change...

Toyota dealer advertised the service as $105 but charged me $119 for the drain and fill since they said it's a bigger capacity... when i looked at the invoice, i got charged for 4 qts of ATF... i'm assuming it was probably 3qt and a little to top off... car is at 105k miles and drives like butter... it's cheap insurance to get 10 yr old fluid out for the piece of mind... don't listen to the service adviser if they say it's sealed and they can't do it...
Old 01-02-19, 10:55 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

$20 Valvoline max life synthetic - 1 Gallon - Fully compatible with WS... works fine for me and wont break the bank.. Gunna do another 1 gallon change when I get the Transmission strainer and gasket...
Old 01-02-19, 04:15 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
last week i sent the truck in to do the trans fluid while they had it for it's oil change...

Toyota dealer advertised the service as $105 but charged me $119 for the drain and fill since they said it's a bigger capacity... when i looked at the invoice, i got charged for 4 qts of ATF... i'm assuming it was probably 3qt and a little to top off... car is at 105k miles and drives like butter... it's cheap insurance to get 10 yr old fluid out for the piece of mind... don't listen to the service adviser if they say it's sealed and they can't do it...
fyi, there is 12-13 qts in there. The best this change does is maybe gets out dirt in screen or pan..,if you want a “change” they need to flush out all the fluid through the trans cooling lines and replenish with 13 fresh qts...Bosch makes a fluid exchange machine that dealers have.....
Old 01-02-19, 08:27 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553

fyi, there is 12-13 qts in there. The best this change does is maybe gets out dirt in screen or pan..,if you want a “change” they need to flush out all the fluid through the trans cooling lines and replenish with 13 fresh qts...Bosch makes a fluid exchange machine that dealers have.....
But everyone advises against using the Dealer flush. It could do more damage than good. I personally did 3 gallons of amsoil transmission fluid. Drain the transmission pan, filled, started the car and ran through the gears, turned off then drained the pan again, and did the same steps twice again. It's probably more than good enough. Didn't feel like removing the pan and replacing the filter and gasket. Too much work.
Old 01-03-19, 03:24 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by deeken
But everyone advises against using the Dealer flush. It could do more damage than good. I personally did 3 gallons of amsoil transmission fluid. Drain the transmission pan, filled, started the car and ran through the gears, turned off then drained the pan again, and did the same steps twice again. It's probably more than good enough. Didn't feel like removing the pan and replacing the filter and gasket. Too much work.
a controversial service subject. The dealer I used gave me his take...do the first simple drain and refill early, like between 50-60K and then if you still own the truck do a flush 100 K later. You’ve hopefully gotten debris out on the first refill so that the risk of metal particles getting caught in the lines or trans on the flush are reduced.
Old 01-03-19, 04:08 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a complete flush done at my Toyota dealer last year at 140k miles and no issues at all so far. This was the first time the fluid was replaced and the car is running perfect . It is a lot more convenient than drain/fill method and I think much more effective.
Old 01-03-19, 06:58 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by deeken
Originally Posted by ALAN553
a controversial service subject. The dealer I used gave me his take...do the first simple drain and refill early, like between 50-60K and then if you still own the truck do a flush 100 K later. You’ve hopefully gotten debris out on the first refill so that the risk of metal particles getting caught in the lines or trans on the flush are reduced.
i'm used to the honda glass tranny where i would never do trans flushes... i grew up doing 4x drain and fills over a 4 wk interval... it obviously takes longer to get new fluid into the system as it dilutes with the old fluid, but i figure it's a better transition... almost like a water change on a fish tank... since i'm at over 100k miles on original fluid, i didn't want to shock the system with all new fluid...
Old 01-03-19, 08:54 PM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess I may have missed something. If I just drain out the three quarts of fluid, why can’t you just add 3 quarts back in and be good to go? If the trans is cold and the fluid is cold wouldn’t it be the same amount?
The following users liked this post:
RockfordRX (01-04-19)
Old 01-04-19, 08:12 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree, Skyfox!
Not sure why it is necessary to do the temp check if you replace the EXACT amount that you drain... Unless it is expected that the tranny fluid level drops overtime (evaporates, gets burned off, etc) and replacing the old with new fluid of insufficient amount may burn up the unit?
I agree that if you measure exact amount you drain with what you refill back, there should be no problem. Any thoughts guys?
Old 01-07-19, 10:10 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
I agree, Skyfox!
Not sure why it is necessary to do the temp check if you replace the EXACT amount that you drain... Unless it is expected that the tranny fluid level drops overtime (evaporates, gets burned off, etc) and replacing the old with new fluid of insufficient amount may burn up the unit?
I agree that if you measure exact amount you drain with what you refill back, there should be no problem. Any thoughts guys?
maybe that might work if you temperature match your fluid to the fluid temp of a cold car? But honestly its not hard to do the A/T TEMP mode.

Ill be doing mine again so ill create a video. This time around ill be changing out the transmission screen as well and checking the magnets on the pan.

Valvoline MaxLife~!

The following 2 users liked this post by vwynn:
ipaniwala (01-17-19), RockfordRX (01-08-19)
Old 01-17-19, 12:28 PM
ipaniwala
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
maybe that might work if you temperature match your fluid to the fluid temp of a cold car? But honestly its not hard to do the A/T TEMP mode.

Ill be doing mine again so ill create a video. This time around ill be changing out the transmission screen as well and checking the magnets on the pan.

Valvoline MaxLife~!
Can you do a quick video on the A/T TEMP mode ?
I am getting ready to do mine this weekend and it would help me greatly.

My Transfer case has leaked so we would looking to fix that at the same time too.

Using Valvoline MaxLife for Tranny and Valvoline 80W-90 Gear oil for Transfer case.

Last edited by ipaniwala; 01-17-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 08:26 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ipaniwala
Can you do a quick video on the A/T TEMP mode ?
I am getting ready to do mine this weekend and it would help me greatly.

My Transfer case has leaked so we would looking to fix that at the same time too.

Using Valvoline MaxLife for Tranny and Valvoline 80W-90 Gear oil for Transfer case.

Goodluckk on your transfer case leak fix excursion!
The following 2 users liked this post by vwynn:
ipaniwala (01-18-19), RockfordRX (01-18-19)
Old 05-21-19, 11:26 AM
lukasbasic
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what type of ODB tool will read the ATF temp?
product link appreciated
Old 06-03-19, 03:56 PM
lukasbasic
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so after a long search, I found a relatively cheap way, to read the atf oil temp via the ODB interface.
1. bluetooth ODB scanner (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
) - i'm sure other will work too
2. Fusion ODB app (https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion) via google play store / android - 5 USD
3. Lexus /Toyota 2006 extra package (inside Fusion ODB (10 usd)

I also tried Torque app, and while it technically can read ATF temp, you need to know the special PID and some conversion formulas, which I was not able to find.

which gives a total of 37USD for some more advanced ODB data, not bad overall I think.

Originally Posted by lukasbasic
what type of ODB tool will read the ATF temp?
product link appreciated

Quick Reply: Replacement of Trans oil on GX