GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brake Pad Buying Advice

Old 04-01-14, 04:35 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
This is great. The price is not bad at all - $100 for both front and rear. I'm probably going to go with these and will order them today.

In case I need rotors - can you please provide link for those also? I didn't find R300, plus I want to make sure that I'm looking at the exact thing that you ordered. How are the rotors holding up? Their reviews seem mixed.

Based on your experience so far would you recommend this brake/rotor setup?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-14, 06:56 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
This is great. The price is not bad at all - $100 for both front and rear. I'm probably going to go with these and will order them today.

In case I need rotors - can you please provide link for those also? I didn't find R300, plus I want to make sure that I'm looking at the exact thing that you ordered. How are the rotors holding up? Their reviews seem mixed.

Based on your experience so far would you recommend this brake/rotor setup?

Thanks!
Here's the link for the front rotors:
Amazon.com: Raybestos 980160PER Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Performance: Automotive Amazon.com: Raybestos 980160PER Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Performance: Automotive

Here's the link for the rear rotors:
Amazon.com: Raybestos 96929 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Drum in Hat: Automotive Amazon.com: Raybestos 96929 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Drum in Hat: Automotive

It's really too early to tell since I've only put about 3K miles on the front rotors / pads but so far so good. I've driven down a few back roads and really stomped on the brakes and they bite hard. If you go w/ the Akebono pads you don't have to bed them in, you just install and drive.

I'll update as I get mileage on the rotors.
Old 04-01-14, 08:41 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Here's the link for the front rotors:
Amazon.com: Raybestos 980160PER Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Performance: Automotive

Here's the link for the rear rotors:
Amazon.com: Raybestos 96929 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Drum in Hat: Automotive

It's really too early to tell since I've only put about 3K miles on the front rotors / pads but so far so good. I've driven down a few back roads and really stomped on the brakes and they bite hard. If you go w/ the Akebono pads you don't have to bed them in, you just install and drive.

I'll update as I get mileage on the rotors.
Good to know that they are working out well so far.
I'm sure you must have done some research before going with these. I think I'll go with same setup as yours.

Thanks for all the information! It has been very helpful
Old 05-15-14, 03:04 PM
bhesse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCsGX
What about a mid level Rabestos rotor for the front, any suggestions and would I also need to adjust the pad selection
Old 05-15-14, 05:51 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bhesse
RCsGX
What about a mid level Rabestos rotor for the front, any suggestions and would I also need to adjust the pad selection
I've never used them but they seem pretty good based on other reviews for their professional grade rotors. For our GX, the professional grade rotors (980160R) are half the cost of the advanced technology rotors.

Regarding pads, you can use the same Akebono pads w/ any brand rotor...so you'll be fine using those.
Old 05-19-14, 09:23 AM
bhesse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the extra info RCsGX