GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Injection Pump - How to

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 10:38 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Injection Pump - How to

Over the years, I've gotten some good info on this site for my GS300 and my wife's GX470. Definitely some good people on here, knowledgeable and very helpful. Here is my chance to contribute and pay it forward.
So, my wife is coming home 2 weeks ago and the Check Engine, VSC Trac, VSC Off and the Anti- Skid lights come on and the car goes into Limp mode, basically, the vehicle won't move, RPM's would rise, but MPH doesn't increase and then finally it will kick into gear. Did some searches on here, some people mentioned replacing the gas cap would fix it. Got one, popped it in, disconnected battery to clear error. Great, everything looks like it works, lights off, and car drives normal. 2 days later, starting up in the AM to drop daughter to school, all lights come on again and limp mode. Took to my mechanic, asked to check it out and do an oil change while there (wife is not good about getting this done, guess I should be more proactive on this). Diagnosis, Air Pump or Air Injection codes came back, as well as bank1 02 and bank2 02 sensor codes. Based on some reading, these 02 sensor codes will come up if the air pump is not functioning properly, side effect, doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. Primary culprit here is the Pump. Quote to replace was $3500, which included $2500 in parts alone, Pump is $1274 and 2 valves that total another grand, then labor.
I jumped on the Club Lexus forum, surely someone had this problem and maybe had a cheaper fix or some alternative. I got some good info from RCsGX, Alan553 and Fantic that this damn pump is located under the Intake Manifold (WTH), as well as info on the Dorman Pump, which is similar and costs about $118 @ autozone, possibly cheaper online. Done, figured, I'd tackle the job myself, save some money.
Attached Files

Last edited by Zulfie; 03-12-14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 11:23 PM
msn619
Driver School Candidate

good write up very straight forward thanks, I'll keep this as reference when my blower screws up
Old 03-12-14, 05:07 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Printed for reference. Thanks for taking the time to do this. How long did it take you from start to finish including the documentary?
Old 03-12-14, 05:30 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Wait, so the parts cost $118 at autozone?! Wow!
Old 03-12-14, 08:06 AM
Zulfie
Driver

Originally Posted by burny
Printed for reference. Thanks for taking the time to do this. How long did it take you from start to finish including the documentary?
Hey Burny, took about 6 hours total. I did it across 2 days this past weekend. With this write up/documentation, it should take you about 4 hours or less. Alot of my time was spent fighting some tough connectors, figuring out the bolt in the back of the intake and the stubborn hose that goes from air valve #1 to air valve #2.
Old 03-12-14, 08:09 AM
Zulfie
Driver

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Wait, so the parts cost $118 at autozone?! Wow!
Yea, crazy right, same exact motor and looking at the manufacturer's stamp on the body, believe it is the same company that makes both the Lexus/Toyota one and the Dorman one.

I saw it for as low as $89 online, but I couldn't wait, so paid the $118, still a lot cheaper than the $1274 Lexus wanted.
Old 03-12-14, 10:00 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing work, Zulfie!
Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

Mods, Can we make this a Sticky??

Sounds like this problem can happen to any of us with aging GX470s.
It's sad that Lexus is charging so much money to fix something that in my opinion was not designed well on the first place.

On a side note, since i see the starter right there next to the pump, makes me wonder if it's a good idea, when and IF i have to replace the air pump, if i should also replace the starter as well....just in case.

Last edited by danmm7; 03-12-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 10:10 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great writeup!
You are to be saluted for taking the time to document while in the process of doing that hard job.
Makes me glad I don't have an air pump!
Old 03-12-14, 10:21 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Great write-up!! Thanks for taking the time to do it. That's a lot better than paying $3,500+ to Lexus.
Old 03-12-14, 10:47 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Zulf, what about Air valves #1 and 2. Was there any apparent damage to those. Have you heard of any issues where they have to be replaced? When and if I ever go in there, I want to do it all including rebuilding my starter.
Old 03-12-14, 11:08 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write-up Zulfie!!
Old 03-12-14, 03:10 PM
bauer26
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up Zulfie!!! Downloading and saving to my Lexus file for future reference should it be needed. Its crazy the amount of money that can be saved through this forum.
Old 03-12-14, 03:24 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

It's people like you what causes unrest in Lexus dealerships! Thanks for the leg up and great writeup, Zulfie!! Well done!
Old 03-12-14, 05:47 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Thanks everyone and just doing my part

Hopefully none of you will ever need it, but just in case.
Old 03-12-14, 05:56 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Originally Posted by burny
Zulf, what about Air valves #1 and 2. Was there any apparent damage to those. Have you heard of any issues where they have to be replaced? When and if I ever go in there, I want to do it all including rebuilding my starter.
Burny,
None that I saw, I was able to test Air Valve #1, it opened and closed and I blew air thru and it passed un-obstructed.

Air Valve #2 is a pain to get to, buried under alot more stuff that I wanted to get into. Lexus does recommend replacing all three pieces, pump, air valve 1 and 2.

I had IM'ed Fantic to ask if he had replaced when he did the job, he didn't, but suggested to put a vacuum cleaner to the intake hose to Air Valve #2 and suck out anything that might have been in there. I did that.

Three days now and all is well, no lights and no drivability issues, so assuming nothing was wrong with #2.

If you do decide to remove, it looks like it comes apart in 2 pieces and might be easily fixed. I'm also assuming that it might have a plunger valve too, so if you applied 12V and it opens and closes, then it should be fine.

Quick Reply: Air Injection Pump - How to