GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Asking Listed Selling Price

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 09:10 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GX470 Asking Listed Selling Price

Okay so here is something I find interesting when looking for a GX online.

I am a patient person. In doing so, I don't mind spending some time looking for a GX470 to purchase.

While looking for a GX470, if I look at some vehicles that close to or over 100k miles, then the price drops to the low $20k listed selling price.

While looking for a GX470 with less than 70k miles, the price goes up to $30k if not close to $35k for the asking listed selling price.

At that point I shake my head. I do so mostly because once you are in the $30k+ price range, what's the point of buying a GX470? With that kind of pricing would it not be better to buy a GX460?

It just amazes me with what the listed asking price is for some of the GX470s out there.
Old 03-05-14, 09:52 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by greekguy66

I am a patient person. In doing so, I don't mind spending some time looking for a GX470 to purchase.

While looking for a GX470, if I look at some vehicles that close to or over 100k miles, then the price drops to the low $20k listed selling price.

While looking for a GX470 with less than 70k miles, the price goes up to $30k if not close to $35k for the asking listed selling price.

At that point I shake my head. I do so mostly because once you are in the $30k+ price range, what's the point of buying a GX470? With that kind of pricing would it not be better to buy a GX460?

It just amazes me with what the listed asking price is for some of the GX470s out there.

I, too, was a patient buyer and I think it paid off! I was looking for a good used 4Runner which led to looking at other vehicles like the Landcruisers and then the Lexus equivalents. Eventually, an ad came up for an '04 GX which I jumped on immediately. Final price was $14,600 (Canadian dollars) with 110,000 miles (yes miles) and the truck was in unbelievable shape!

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 03-05-14, 11:16 AM
greekguy66
Driver

I should have also stated that I am looking at the 2008-2009 GX470s.
Old 03-05-14, 01:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're planning on keep the GX for years to come I wouldn't hesitate to save money and get one closer to 100K miles. But if you're going to keep it for a couple of years and sell it obviously the lower mileage the better for resale value.
Old 03-05-14, 01:56 PM
greekguy66
Driver

I don't mind finding a car that has around 100k miles as long as all the maintenance has been done. It amuses me how the pricing is all over the place.

I have seen some with less miles and fully packaged list for less at a few different Lexus dealers and find others that are older, more miles, and less features for a higher list price.
Old 03-05-14, 02:32 PM
msn619
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyota holds their value, I was looking at a tacoma 04 with 4 door crew cab 100,000+ miles and still around $15K to $18K, a fair condition 1985 corolla GTS are still selling for $8,000 lol... its good for us toyota owners.
Old 03-05-14, 09:30 PM
StVeronus
Driver School Candidate

I started this journey looking for a 2009 4Runner with V8, sunroof, and leather with under 60,000miles. They were all $25K-$35K. Then I realized that a GX is a fancy 4Runner with all the options I was looking for. Found an 05 with 42K miles and drove it home for $24K. This was a 1 owner with good maintenance records and excellent condition. Keep looking. I wish I had gotten either an 07+ or one with no navigation, but oh well, happy with this one.
Old 03-06-14, 06:05 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all supply and demand.

I forked out 28K+ for my '08 with 50k miles, little over 2 months ago. I was on the same boat... I didn't see why I had to spend extra 10k for lower miles, but the truck was going to be for my wife and just my state of mind when she's on the highway packed with our kids. I've put on 350k miles on my ES few years ago, and I'm not a stranger to high miles, but still, I feel more comfortable with lower miles.

Supply and demand says 460's aren't wanted as much. If you remember, Consumer Reports put GX460 in 'Unacceptable' category one year, and I think that stuck with people. (roll over tendencies, was it?)
Old 03-06-14, 06:25 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

I just bought an 03 with 92k for $15,000 on Monday and I too struggled with value vs cost.

I originally was only looking for an 05+ in either black or white but I couldnt find any within $4,000 or 30,000 of the one I ended up buying. It wasn't the money so much as the value to me.

The GX isn't exactly my dream car so I was willing to sacrifice what I would have prefered for value knowing that I will probably want to trade into something else is a few years and didn't want to take the price and mileage hit then.

I didn't get exactly what I wanted but I spent less than I intended and feel comparatively I made the smart decision for what I will likely do with the truck in the future.

There are a ton of GX 470's available in my area but prices are pretty consistent with each other here if you know what your looking at.

I didn't consider any in the $30,000 range. There are allot of other vehicles I would have considered in that price range but that is just me.
Old 03-06-14, 07:30 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

I have been looking for a 2008 -2009 GX for the last several months. Your observation in right on the money from what I have seen. The mileage does make a big difference in resale value, because that is what drives the prices quoted in KBB, NADA and Edmunds. Pick a year, say 2009, plug in 30K, then plug in 100K miles and see what the difference in price is. It can be huge.
Old 03-06-14, 08:23 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Thanks to everyone's feedback. I do appreciate it. Keep them coming if there is more.

Funny how even though the GX460 has newer and better bells and whistles to see so many people still prefer the GX470. For me its the styling layout of the GX470 is what I like more. Bells and whistles are great, but its got to fit the preferred styling for me.
Old 03-06-14, 08:30 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Thanks to everyone's feedback. I do appreciate it. Keep them coming if there is more.

Funny how even though the GX460 has newer and better bells and whistles to see so many people still prefer the GX470. For me its the styling layout of the GX470 is what I like more. Bells and whistles are great, but its got to fit the preferred styling for me.
I took a serious look at the GX460. Newer isn't always better. Its looks are not as classic as the 470. The interior cargo space is less. All those bells and whistles are just more opportunities for something expensive to break. The brakes are weaker and the engine does not pull as strong as a 470. And it is way more expensive!! In my opinion the 470 is a much better truck. My only decision now is; do I keep my '05 with 104K on it or find a low mileage 2009 and keep that one for a really long time.
Old 03-06-14, 08:38 AM
TexLexSC
Rookie

IMHO Lexus jumped the shark in terms of styling. The latest generation all look the same with that ugly frontend and its a deal breaker for me ever buying one until they restyle again. Acura did the same thing and i just don't get it.

As much as I appreciate technology and enjoy some of the modern comforts of newer cars, they just arent built to last. Adding electronics to drivetrain components in the name of comfort and safety sacrifices longevety and adds greatly to repair costs which causes most of us to jump ship at that point instead of fixing them.

As much as I love the styling of newer Mercedes & Rang Rovers I won't consider buying one because I do not want to be left on the side of the raod calling a tow truck because the car thinks it can not safely adjust the suspension or electronic brake components and puts it into limp mode. They are riddled with electronic probelms that simply did not need to replace proven mechanical components.

I don't want to sound like an old man talking about he good old days because i'm only 35 but newer cars have too much that can go wrong for a trade off that isn't worth it imo.
Old 03-06-14, 09:34 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I most likely overpaid a bit. But to add another price point, I did a 2006 GX470 with 78,000 miles for $22k with the Sport package (KDSS). It was serviced every 5k miles at a single Lexus dealership.

I have a coworker that just did a 2003 GX470 with 120,000 miles for $13k without KDSS. His was not serviced beyond the first year in a trackable means...

They effectively feel like the same truck, though his has a bit more sway you can feel on corners. $9k bought me 3 years, 40,000 miles, a service record and KDSS.

Last edited by shadowmite; 03-06-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 10:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I paid $15,250 for my 2004 GX with 121k (no KDSS). Has the transfer case leak, which I included in the negotiations. At the time, it looked like the timing belt had been done -- but a seep from the water pump said that it hadn't (30k miles past-due!) so I got to pay for that too.

I still like it better than what it replaced.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: GX470 Asking Listed Selling Price