GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Ride Diagram????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 07:05 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ride Diagram????

Hi, I did a search and found some good info, but before taking back to dealer and getting ripped off, wanted to see if anyone has any insights.

The Christmas lights went off and truck went into limp mode. Got codes pulled, turned out to be injection pump. Took to the dealer, about $3500 to fix, also said radiator has a hole. Had them do the radiator and change oil. Picked up at the end day, as I'm down the road, noticed that the truck is riding like bucking bronco. Pulled over, hit the ride control switch, nothing, wont move from "N", no flashing lights or code and the rear is all the way down.

Troubleshot when I got home a little, just pulled battery, reset, nothing, jumped relay, pump runs, but the truck doesn't raise. Its dark and cold now, can't do much more.

Anyone run into this, wondering if they unhooked some line when they did the radiator or something. Never had an issue with the ride height, not even intermittent, just seemed strange.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 03-03-14, 07:11 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

It was my air springs, and ride height reservoir/solenoid.....probable just the air springs but the dealer had fault codes in reservoir too, so I wound up replacing both for $2000. Truck is 10 years old and has 144,000 miles. Rides like new. I doubt they touched anything, all air ride stuff is around rear axle.
Old 03-03-14, 07:20 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
It was my air springs, and ride height reservoir/solenoid.....probable just the air springs but the dealer had fault codes in reservoir too, so I wound up replacing both for $2000. Truck is 10 years old and has 144,000 miles. Rides like new. I doubt they touched anything, all air ride stuff is around rear axle.
Thanks Alan, wow $2K. I dropped $850 on the radiator/oil, need another $3500 for the air injection and now $2K for this. DAMN!!! Mine is about 10 yrs old too (2005), wondering if I should just cut my losses and get into something else.

I thought I had read somewhere about a line from the dryer/air pump, is that located in the rear with the solenoid?
Old 03-04-14, 05:18 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what is the deal with all these air injection pumps failing?
Old 03-04-14, 05:20 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Zulf, /Read this and maybe you can get it done at free or reduced cost.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ump-issue.html
Old 03-04-14, 05:57 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
what is the deal with all these air injection pumps failing?
It's nothing new, they've been failing since Toyota came out w/ the VVT-i engine back in '05.

OP if you live in a state w/ no emissions testing get a delete module and or block off plate: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-or-valve.html

If you're handy with tools replace it with a Dorman or GM pump yourself: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-or-valve.html

See the attached PDF for the ride height components.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
25-8 Ride Height Components.pdf (202.1 KB, 456 views)
Old 03-04-14, 06:05 AM
Zulfie
Driver

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm doing the job myself on the air injection. Picking up the Dorman GM pump today from A...zone and new intake and throttle body gaskets from the dealer. Was planning on doing it this weekend, but now will have to focus on this ride height issue.
Old 03-04-14, 07:35 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zulfie
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm doing the job myself on the air injection. Picking up the Dorman GM pump today from A...zone and new intake and throttle body gaskets from the dealer.
Let us know how the install goes.

Originally Posted by Zulfie
now will have to focus on this ride height issue.
See the attached PDFs. The 1st PDF is how to pull the codes. Once you have the code open the 2nd PDF and find the code.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05-477 Height Control Codes.pdf (48.1 KB, 3593 views)
Old 03-04-14, 08:49 AM
Zulfie
Driver

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Let us know how the install goes.

See the attached PDFs. The 1st PDF is how to pull the codes. Once you have the code open the 2nd PDF and find the code.
AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing...
BTW, I found your other thread on the Air Injection and will leverage the link to the pics from the Tundra forum that showed how to remove the intake manifold and some of the gotchas.

I still can't believe they buried this pump inside the cavity of the manifold...
Old 03-04-14, 09:37 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

NO problem.

Yeah I don't know why they put the air injection pump and the starter under the intake manifold either. It's makes swapping them time consuming.
Old 03-05-14, 08:07 AM
shane4x4
Driver School Candidate

Good info...thinking of modifying my ride height when we add a lift to the front
Old 03-06-14, 07:45 AM
Zulfie
Driver

So, here is the interesting thing about the air bags. Took it back, they put it on a platform lift and we looked in the rear. Apparently both of the air bags popped out of the lower suspension. Upon looking at this, I thought it was the WORST design possible, basically, at the bottom of the bags is the support cup and at the bottom of that is simply a metal nipple that sits in the hole on the lower suspension. Anyway, when they popped out and possibly from me driving it or it bottoming out, bottom of them are punctured and need to be replaced.

When they did the radiator fix, they used a scissor lift, which would cause the control arms/suspension to expand with the weight of the wheels and I guess this is what caused the air bags to pop out.

I asked them is this how it sits there, there is not clip or anything to hold it in place, well, apparently not. The air bags were perfect when I took it in, no leaks, nothing, so can't understand how this happened. Anyway, they are getting it now and no one can tell me why it is designed like this or how this could happen.

I told them per the manual, it said that you should set the height on HIGH when jacking it up, they didn't have an answer.

Just lesson learned, if jacking up at home or scissor lift, just make sure height is set to high and check to make sure they are not out before lowering.
Old 03-06-14, 08:16 AM
ALAN553
Racer

they do clip on to the axle, key hole that requires rotating air bag 90 degrees to unlock and lift out and reverse for installation. no way should it be able to come off lower fitting without that twist, unless "key" was broken off. Oh and when lifting the truck up from the frame or any spot that does not support the axle, with the engine running, you must turn height control off. someone correct me if i am wrong but there is no where in my manual that says to put height control on H.
Old 03-06-14, 09:06 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I've never read you need to put it in the HIGH position when lifting...if anything the manual says to turn it OFF. You don't need to turn it off unless the GX will be running / on when lifted.

And you're right, there is nothing holding the airbag in place. Several lifted guys over on ih8mud have had their air bags pop out too after tricking the rear ride height sensors to lift the rear. That's why they switched over to coils so they don't pop an bag offroad.

You can always add an "R" pin....

Old 03-06-14, 09:59 AM
ALAN553
Racer

i saw my old springs when they came out, there was a "key" on the bottom that requires you to turn the bag 90 degrees to take it out or install it into a corresponding key hole. I also saw a PDF somewhere on this site with those instructions....

Quick Reply: Air Ride Diagram????