GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Assist in purchase of GX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 04:05 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by greekguy66
I have noticed that on some GXs the Rear Seat Entertainment System is in the headrest and for some one installed in the headliner by the dome light. Is it different because of the year made or is it one is aftermarket and one OEM?
The only OEM option is for the roof mounted one. Dealers off headrests monitors as an add-on option but it's not OEM.
Old 02-21-14, 04:06 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

one aftermarket and one OEM
Old 02-21-14, 05:21 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it safe to assume that all the GX470s, if not the 2005 and newer, are a 50 state emissions certified vehicles? Just want to make sure if I purchase one in Oregon I should have no issues registering it in California.

Just trying to improve my choices.
Old 02-21-14, 06:29 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Yes you can register it in Cali without any emissions problems.
Old 02-22-14, 05:33 PM
StVeronus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you have it narrowed down, I have a couple of carfax reports left out of a 5 pack. Bought my GX about 3 weeks ago and been loving it. Came from a Nissan Titan. Wanted the SUV so the wife didn't have to move stroller from bed to cab if not using it. As well as the much nicer appointments on this vehicle.
Old 02-22-14, 06:08 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Thanks! Today I went into Lexus of Sacramento. Spoke to a really nice Service Consultant. Spent about 20 minutes taking to him overall picking his brains about the GX470. Also it was good to get a feel for the local dealer.

One thing that was important to find out was the cost for a service diagnostic/inspection. Even though I have a mechanic background and when dealing with the right person it may not be needed, its always best to know about getting a car inspected by the local Lexus dealer if possible to ensure nothing was overlooked.

For $145 its can be a peace of mind under the right circumstances.
Old 02-23-14, 05:05 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What did the service advisor tell you that wasn't covered here? Anything new?
Old 02-23-14, 08:38 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Well as much as I can get on my back and look for certain things on my back in a driveway, its always better to put it on a lift and see it up in the air. Then there is checking the code history as well, if any.

Like going to the Lexus Driver's website, he said that if I gave him a VIN from a car he would run it for free and see what service history was done on it if any. Yes that is something I can do, but its also about building repore with the dealer.

Some of the things he brought up were discussed here as well. Besides its a good option to have when buying a car because if you ask someone to drive his/her car to the dealer to get inspected and he/she says not a chance, to me that is a big red flag as to not buy regardless on how good the ride looks in the driveway.
Old 02-27-14, 06:44 PM
greekguy66
Driver

I was wondering about the differences between the 2006 and the 2007. Other than the Navigation System is there any other differences? Also how much different are the Navigation Systems?

I find it interesting many GX470s up for sale right around 75k-95k miles for sale. I guess they are avoiding the 90k mile scheduled service?
Old 02-27-14, 11:06 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I was wondering about the differences between the 2006 and the 2007. Other than the Navigation System is there any other differences?
Check this link out:
http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html
Old 02-28-14, 07:53 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Yes I saw the link. Thank you. Appreciate replying.

I have read the same information in three different locations. Sometimes though owners see some minor differences that are not listed. If there aren't any other than what is listed, that is fine.
Old 02-28-14, 07:57 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

That's all of the changes....

And if I were you I'd look for a GX without the navi.
Old 02-28-14, 08:44 AM
greekguy66
Driver

And why is that?
Old 02-28-14, 09:17 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Hello Everyone!

First time posting here. I'm a newbie for posting here so go ahead and beat me up.

I currently have a '98 4Runner and it has over 150K miles with no issues.
As much as it would be nice to get a newer 4Runner, I prefer the look and ride of the GX470 more. I'm looking to purchase a 2007-2009 soon.

I'm hoping I can get some advice to assist me with my purchase. I'm sorry if I'm asking some questions that may have been asked before, but I did try searching out the answers first before making this post.
  • Are there any issues or concerns anyone would have on purchasing a GX470 with over 100k miles other than maintenance?
  • It is difficult to find a used GX470 in my area with KDSS. For those that don't have it, are you happy with your ride regardless?
  • Even though the GX470 with KDSS may be preferred by many does it become one of those things that you can kick yourself for not getting one with? Or do you not think about it?
  • Can I expect the same reliability out of a GX470 as I have from a 3rd Generation 4Runner?
  • How long have you owned your GX470 for and how many miles does it have now?
  • I'm looking to put at least 100k miles on whatever GX470 I purchase. I tend to keep my rides for a long time. I thought of getting a GX460, but I prefer the look of the GX470 more.

Thanks ahead of time to your replies.

VK

I just bought a 2006 GX470 Sport (KDSS) with 83k miles on it.

While KDSS is nice, if something does go wrong it will be expensive to fix. At 83k miles, mine is seeping, and if that is the source of my suspension clunk, it will be $1500 to replace one of the 2 actuators, and bleed the system!

My shocks are blown, and Lexus wants $2900 to replace them. I will end up replacing them myself with Bilstiens for less then $400 though.

I love our GX, but there are alot of expensive things that can go wrong at around 100k miles:

1. Leaky Exhaust Manifold (Each manifold is about $500

2. Transfer Case Actuator Leak (About $1000 to be fixed by lexus)

3. Rear Air Bag Issues (Can be thousands to be fixed by lexus with oem parts, or swapped out to coils for alot less)

4. By 100k Shocks will likely be shot or close to it ($2900 to replace all 4 with stock parts by lexus or $400 to replace yourself with aftermarket)

5. Air Injection Pump Issues (Thousands for dealer to fix, or you can fix yourself, but parts are expensive, and you have to remove the intake manifold just to access it)

One of the good things about buying a used lexus, is most owners have had them serviced at the dealers their whole life, and there is usually good service documentation on them.

If it is going to cost me $1500 to fix the KDSS, As great as it is, I wish I didn't have it.

The GX probley won't be as reliable as your 3rd gen Runner as it is a more complex vehicle with alot of fancy parts and systems that can start to fail with age. If you can wrench yourself, it probley won't kill you when these things start to go wrong, but if you can't and have to have the dealer fix everything, you better have deep pockets.

Here is lexus' quote for fixing my suspension issues:

Old 02-28-14, 09:26 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCsGX
That's all of the changes....

And if I were you I'd look for a GX without the navi.
I agree! The NAVI improved in 2007, but the 2006 NAVI is horrible. The graphics look like they are from the 90s, and the system is so slow that when you move, the screen is choppy. It is also the most confusing navigation I have ever used.

Worst of all though, is that the HVAC controls are integrated into it, so if it does fail, you will have to replace the whole unit, if you want to use your HVAC system, and a new unit from Lexus is $4000! It is very hard to find a GX without NAVI though, and if you want KDSS, you are going to have NAVI. And since everything is integrated into the NAVI, you can't upgrade it to aftermarket, you will forever be stuck with the ancient navigation system.

Quick Reply: Assist in purchase of GX470