GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

OFF button for height control

Old 08-28-15, 01:01 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default OFF button for height control

I read the manual but not sure if I understand, what is the point of the OFF button?
I interpretation is you press OFF it will stay at the raised or lowered height even when you turn off the car? But it will still return to "N" anyway once you drive pass a certain speed, just like if you have left it high or low
Old 08-28-15, 01:49 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

My understanding is it's mainly for situations where you have the truck jacked up and supported by the frame, so the axle is hanging, and the ignition in the acc or on positions, so the air ride isn't trying to achieve the desired ride height and overextending the airbags, or something along those lines. It's not really something you'll use in your day to day.

If you jack it up by the axle so the weight of the truck is still on the suspension, this isn't an issue.
Old 08-29-15, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah its for working on the vehicle, though I still dont really use it I just put the key somewhere far away, as long as you don't put the key in it wont try and auto level. there are some jobs where hitting the off button would be a good idea, like suspension work, its even a step in the manual set active suspension to off position or something like that.
Old 08-29-15, 03:38 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I read the manual but not sure if I understand, what is the point of the OFF button?
I interpretation is you press OFF it will stay at the raised or lowered height even when you turn off the car? But it will still return to "N" anyway once you drive pass a certain speed, just like if you have left it high or low

I lower my truck to the low setting then turn it off pull in my garage [ Tight area for the roof ] Then when I start car in garage the suspension will not raise until I back out then turn it back on and let it work.
Old 09-08-15, 04:35 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turn it off to hook up the travel trailer w/ load transfer hitch.
Old 09-09-15, 06:46 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
I turn it off to hook up the travel trailer w/ load transfer hitch.
You turn it OFF to tow? The self levelling to compensate for the tongue weight is one of the big plusses of this system. Or am I not understanding?
Old 09-09-15, 06:42 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Sorry I didn't explain. After I get the load distribution all hooked up (which involves lifting the back up) I turn the suspension back on.
Old 09-10-15, 05:04 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Even if you shut the system off, it will automatically re-activate itself once you hit a certain speed (less than 10 MPH if i recall...)
Old 09-11-15, 06:59 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So if I go to the Toyota dealer or generic shop and I don't press OFF, they lift the car am I going to get a suspension error code?
Old 09-11-15, 07:59 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

So if I go to the Toyota dealer or generic shop and I don't press OFF, they lift the car am I going to get a suspension error code?
If they lift the truck from the frame and let the suspension droop, and then turn the ignition on, then you'll get whatever consequences flow from doing this wrong.

I'm not honestly sure it will throw a code, or what the results are to be honest, just don't do it that way, lol.
Old 09-12-15, 09:17 AM
Barnesie
Driver

If you go to a shop and the vehicle is supported by the frame, I.E. Wheels are not in contact with the ground or any surface, and the vehicle is running the bags will inflate and possibly blow. This has been my understanding of the consequences. I always make sure I instruct the shop doing work that they need to turn the the suspension "off" if they intend to put the vehicle on a lift and require it to be running. Most shops are fully aware of the need to turn this off, so it has never been a surprise to any shop / tech I have worked with.
Old 09-13-15, 07:14 AM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
If you go to a shop and the vehicle is supported by the frame, I.E. Wheels are not in contact with the ground or any surface, and the vehicle is running the bags will inflate and possibly blow. This has been my understanding of the consequences. I always make sure I instruct the shop doing work that they need to turn the the suspension "off" if they intend to put the vehicle on a lift and require it to be running. Most shops are fully aware of the need to turn this off, so it has never been a surprise to any shop / tech I have worked with.
The compressor runs based off height sensors, not pressure sensors, so supporting the truck by the frame should not cause the airbags to over-inflate. The sensors will tell the compressor the truck is too high, so the response should be to deflate the bags rather than inflate them.

My guess is that the more likely reasons to turn off the RAS when using a lift, jack, or flatbed are:
  • If on a lift supported by the frame, the airbags may deflate. Once off the lift, the truck will be sitting on the rear bump stops temporarily.
  • If jacked up under one side of the axle (eg, roadside flat repair), the truck may try to inflate the airbag on the compressed side - causing the truck to shift.
  • If strapped down to a flatbed, compressing the suspension, the truck may try to inflate the bags.