GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 171K Miles, Keep Or Trade In?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 04:06 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 171K Miles, Keep Or Trade In?

I bought my GX 470 new in 2006; it had 12 miles on it. The miles are mostly highway, and the car very well cared for. It drives like new, and the problems it has had are as follows:

Regular:
- tires
- brakes
- battery
- alternator
- radiator (after five years, right on schedule)

Unexpected
- every door lock actuator has failed at one time or another

The car is need of tires again, and I'm told these models need a transmission like clockwork at or near 175k miles. So wondering now if I should trade it in for something else: looking at a 2014 Acura MDX or a 2014 Toyota Highlander.

In addition to a $5k transmission, the car will need the timing belt and water pump completed again at 200-220k. It also needs a $750 bumper repair.

Discussing this with my local mechanic whom I trust, we've both decided the car is at the tipping point in terms of ownership. I can account for the upcoming known repairs, but what else might popup at this late age? This is rhetorical of course as nobody can know.

I've been offered $12,300 in trade. Very conflicted about trading it in and spending $43k on something else. It's especially difficult given that I've had few problems with it and know exactly where it's been.
Old 02-11-14, 04:23 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sploogie, I would trade it for that trade in value. Actually, I would like to know more about these Trannies failing at 175k. First I have heard of that.

Last edited by burny; 02-11-14 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 04:52 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by burny
Sploogie, I would trade it for that trade in value. Actually, I would like to know more about these Trannies failing at 175k. First I have heard of that.
It was a local mechanic that told me that. Confusing it with another model, perhaps? He works on everything.

I had another mechanic tell me he doesn't know of any that have failed. So who knows?

Assuming the transmission is sound, you'd still trade in? It would be cheap to keep running it if it continues its past performance. And $43k is a lot of dough.
Old 02-11-14, 05:05 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I just gave my 91 4runner, that I have had since new, away to my future son in law to get an 09 GX. It had close to 300k and still had original tranny with no issues. Everyone is different, but I'm sure that rig of yours would easily go another 100k without many issues but value will drop a lot,. You have to make the call. You had any suspension issues? Your in NC so wondering how your dash is holding up, any cracks in it? What did your radiator do when you noticed it leaking? From top corners?
Old 02-11-14, 06:18 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, your GX just got done with the break in period.

I had 97 ES300, sold it at 350k miles. Nothing out of regular maintenance ever went bad.

I have 97 4Runner 5sp, 200k. Nothing ever went wrong until 2 months ago, when the area holding one of the rear links rusted and cracked off the frame. I had my buddy patch up the frame (he fabricates race cars for fun) and the truck has been a life saver this awful winter in Chicago area. (He wanted couple cases of beer, I gave him 200$ plus 2 cases of decent beer)

The 4Runner issues made me go buy the 08 GX, as I didn't think it should be trusted in the winters with my family in it, but I still drive it as DD, and solid as a rock. It's my new winter beater, as the Gen2 GS in the family is my DD in good weather. (the GS replaced ES)

What do you think the payment of 43k is going to be? the issues you've mentioned could be taken care of for less than the sales tax you'd have to pay on the new car.

And in my opinion, the new car ain't as nice as the GX.

Okay, so with decent down pay(of about 10k), your payment on the car is going to be hovering 600$/month.
This is your list of things needed:
tires (month and half of new car payment)
brakes (less than one month of that new car payment)
battery (less than one week of that new car payment)
alternator (I doubt you'll need this... my 97 ES never needed one at 350k miles)
radiator (less than one month of new car payment)

If the new car you're thinking of is that much nicer than your GX, it's one thing, but it ain't.

Open a saving account and feed it 600$ per month. By the time summer comes around, cash your savings and get new tires. Get new set of floor liners/fresh new carpet mats. Get the car full detail treatment. Get everything you think your GX needs.

Then enjoy the next 170k miles.

I did exactly what I recommended, never stopped feeding the 'car fund' savings and paid cash for my Supra Turbo. (this was years ago, but I still have my garage queen)

Well, you get the idea...
Old 02-11-14, 06:19 PM
UpStarr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spoogie
- I'm told these models need a transmission like clockwork at or near 175k miles.
first I've ever heard of this. I would challenge your mechanic to prove this.

Personally, I think if you want a new car then trade it and get another, but do not let a mechanics opinion on what he or she thinks may happen determine your decision. They own you at that point.
Old 02-11-14, 06:27 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

My thinking has always been that, when a vehicle's value gets down to below, say, 25% of its original cost, any money that I might have to put into the vehicle is money that I will never get back. With your GX, if you put $5000 into it, its resale value will not be any more than what it is right now. Thus, if I'm going to put a significant amount of money into an older vehicle, that means that I should be committing myself to keeping it for, at least, a few more years, and I should also be accepting that fact that there are likely going to be other unanticipated repair costs during those few more years. Last summer, I realized that, if I was going to keep my 2006 ES through the winter, I was going to need to put about $2500 into it. Considering that it was only worth about $12,000 and I wasn't willing to commit myself into even 2 or 3 more years of ownership, that there would likely be some unanticipated repair costs, and that, regardless of how much money I put into it, it was never going to be worth more than the $12,000, I decided that it was time to move on. I would say that your situation with the GX is similar. Thus, unless you are willing to commit to keeping the vehicle for several more years, now might well be the time to move on.
Old 02-11-14, 06:33 PM
spoogie
Rookie

I just gave my 91 4runner, that I have had since new, away to my future son in law to get an 09 GX. It had close to 300k and still had original tranny with no issues. Everyone is different, but I'm sure that rig of yours would easily go another 100k without many issues but value will drop a lot,. You have to make the call. You had any suspension issues? Your in NC so wondering how your dash is holding up, any cracks in it? What did your radiator do when you noticed it leaking? From top corners?
Nice to hear that your transmission experience was good.

I've had no suspension issues at all, except once I took it in for rear brake service and then a boot magically sprung a leak. The mechanic at first tried to say it came in that way, but he knows how meticulous I am about the car and so he fixed it without too much convincing on my part.

My car was mostly garage kept except for the last two years. The whole interior looks brand new.

The radiator was leaking in the corners (at the seams) and my mechanic told me that five years is right on schedule for radiators.

Regarding value droppage, 100k is a helluva lot more miles to go if indeed it holds up. Way cheaper than buying new, so who knows? It will need another radiator and alternator at least during that period. And the brakes are only good for 30k miles for me. This isn't a lot of money of course, but it's the variables that have me worried given its age.

A new car's value will drop a fair amount as well, but I'll be driving it 8-10 years too assuming it gives me no troubles.

Last edited by spoogie; 02-11-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 06:50 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

The GX I bought has 28k on it and I noticed the pads were worn. Is 30k about the mileage for pads? This is a heavy a$$ed rig
Old 02-11-14, 07:11 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The engine and transmission in our trucks are probably their best attribute - they are bullet proof if maintained properly and by that I mean change the oil and transmission fluid. I don't care if Toyota labels the transmission fluid at "Lifetime."

The same engine and transmission can be found in Land Cruiser and have a reputation of going 300k miles without breaking a sweat, again if maintained properly.

Last edited by cssnms; 02-12-14 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-11-14, 07:17 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
My thinking has always been that, when a vehicle's value gets down to below, say, 25% of its original cost, any money that I might have to put into the vehicle is money that I will never get back. With your GX, if you put $5000 into it, its resale value will not be any more than what it is right now. Thus, if I'm going to put a significant amount of money into an older vehicle, that means that I should be committing myself to keeping it for, at least, a few more years, and I should also be accepting that fact that there are likely going to be other unanticipated repair costs during those few more years. Last summer, I realized that, if I was going to keep my 2006 ES through the winter, I was going to need to put about $2500 into it. Considering that it was only worth about $12,000 and I wasn't willing to commit myself into even 2 or 3 more years of ownership, that there would likely be some unanticipated repair costs, and that, regardless of how much money I put into it, it was never going to be worth more than the $12,000, I decided that it was time to move on. I would say that your situation with the GX is similar. Thus, unless you are willing to commit to keeping the vehicle for several more years, now might well be the time to move on.
You've hit the nail right on the head: If I keep it now, then I'll be keeping it for a good while.
Old 02-11-14, 07:20 PM
spoogie
Rookie

The GX I bought has 28k on it and I noticed the pads were worn. Is 30k about the mileage for pads? This is a heavy a$$ed rig
30k is about the longest. The brakes are undersized for the car, imho.
Old 02-11-14, 07:25 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
Cool, your GX just got done with the break in period.

I had 97 ES300, sold it at 350k miles. Nothing out of regular maintenance ever went bad.

I have 97 4Runner 5sp, 200k. Nothing ever went wrong until 2 months ago, when the area holding one of the rear links rusted and cracked off the frame. I had my buddy patch up the frame (he fabricates race cars for fun) and the truck has been a life saver this awful winter in Chicago area. (He wanted couple cases of beer, I gave him 200$ plus 2 cases of decent beer)

The 4Runner issues made me go buy the 08 GX, as I didn't think it should be trusted in the winters with my family in it, but I still drive it as DD, and solid as a rock. It's my new winter beater, as the Gen2 GS in the family is my DD in good weather. (the GS replaced ES)

What do you think the payment of 43k is going to be? the issues you've mentioned could be taken care of for less than the sales tax you'd have to pay on the new car.

And in my opinion, the new car ain't as nice as the GX.

Okay, so with decent down pay(of about 10k), your payment on the car is going to be hovering 600$/month.
This is your list of things needed:
tires (month and half of new car payment)
brakes (less than one month of that new car payment)
battery (less than one week of that new car payment)
alternator (I doubt you'll need this... my 97 ES never needed one at 350k miles)
radiator (less than one month of new car payment)

If the new car you're thinking of is that much nicer than your GX, it's one thing, but it ain't.

Open a saving account and feed it 600$ per month. By the time summer comes around, cash your savings and get new tires. Get new set of floor liners/fresh new carpet mats. Get the car full detail treatment. Get everything you think your GX needs.

Then enjoy the next 170k miles.

I did exactly what I recommended, never stopped feeding the 'car fund' savings and paid cash for my Supra Turbo. (this was years ago, but I still have my garage queen)

Well, you get the idea...
Not really sure if the GX is a better car than the 2014 Acura MDX given the electronics and suspension in the newest Acura. But the GX is a fine car... which is why I've kept it so long and am now facing the biggest quandary ever when deciding on a new car.

Glad to hear you've had such a good experience. It's encouraging.
Old 02-11-14, 07:26 PM
spoogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by cssnms
The engine and transmission in our trucks is probably their best attribute - they are bullet proof if maintained properly and by that I mean change the oil and transmission fluid. I don't care if Toyota labels the transmission fluid at "Lifetime."

The same engine and transmission can be found in Land Cruiser and have a reputation of going 300k miles without breaking a sweat, again if maintained properly.
The only maintenance on the tranny is an oil change at 90k if I remember right. That was done.
Old 02-11-14, 11:28 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
The engine and transmission in our trucks is probably their best attribute - they are bullet proof if maintained properly and by that I mean change the oil and transmission fluid. I don't care if Toyota labels the transmission fluid at "Lifetime."

x2.

and I'm told these models need a transmission like clockwork at or near 175k miles.
Saying that the A750F transmissions needs to be replaced like clockwork at 175K miles is nonsense. There's Tundra guys with well over 200K miles on the engine / trans and actually use their trucks for work, towing on a daily basis and neither the engine nor transmission has missed a beat.

30k is about the longest. The brakes are undersized for the car, imho.
I agree they are undersized but 30K is a little short. I don't baby my GX at all and tow with it frequently. The previous owner put a little under 10K on the pads and she had the rotors turned at the same time that she had the pads replaced. Since owning my GX I put about 25K on both.

I recently replaced my front rotors / pads due to a steering wheel shake coming from the rotors. The rotors were almost at the bottom end of spec but the pad were well within specs. They measured 8.12mm thick, new is 11.5mm thick, so not even half worn.

If your GX is paid for, honestly 170K miles on a 2UZ-FE engine is nothing. I'd personally keep the GX and keep on rolling unless your itch is uncontrollable for something new.

Quick Reply: 2006 171K Miles, Keep Or Trade In?