GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Does this look like the dreaded Dash Crack, or ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 08:28 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does this look like the dreaded Dash Crack, or ??

I'm searching for a GX and viewed one at a local Lexus Dealer. Upon the test drive I noticed an "imperfection" in the dash - does this look like the typical dash crack? I've read a few threads here and pics I've seen seem to originate along the edges, such as a vent. I brought it to the attention of the Sales Manager and he noted it but thought it appeared more like an induced defect. Since we're not eye to eye on price yet I've not pushed any further.
Attached Thumbnails Does this look like the dreaded Dash Crack, or ??-img_9321.jpg  
Old 02-10-14, 01:21 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid
I'm searching for a GX and viewed one at a local Lexus Dealer. Upon the test drive I noticed an "imperfection" in the dash - does this look like the typical dash crack? I've read a few threads here and pics I've seen seem to originate along the edges, such as a vent. I brought it to the attention of the Sales Manager and he noted it but thought it appeared more like an induced defect. Since we're not eye to eye on price yet I've not pushed any further.
I doubt that it is a anomaly. No matter how it started for sure it will continue. If you do make a deal I would get in writing a letter stating they will replace the dash.
Old 02-10-14, 01:25 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

YES.

Your crack appears to be on the passenger side just above the glove box. That is exactly where mine started and it slowly creeped across the dash running parrellel to the glove box. It's where most are reported as starting.
Old 02-10-14, 01:29 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

That's what I thought - as I look at the pic zoomed-in, the "cuts" are not linear as if something glanced across it (i.e. luggage edge). Thx for your input.
Old 02-10-14, 01:49 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it is...RUN or have them replace the dash.
Old 02-10-14, 03:20 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Fluid, what year is that one with the crack right there?
Old 02-10-14, 05:16 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by burny
Fluid, what year is that one with the crack right there?
2006, car has been in AZ most of its life.
Old 02-10-14, 08:42 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid
2006, car has been in AZ most of its life.
I'm curious about something: if the dash crack problem is related to exposure to heat due to the normal climates in around the southern US and if less dashes crack as climate cools off, especially up here in Canada where it's relatively cold for about six months.
Old 02-11-14, 05:10 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MidniteGX
I'm curious about something: if the dash crack problem is related to exposure to heat due to the normal climates in around the southern US and if less dashes crack as climate cools off, especially up here in Canada where it's relatively cold for about six months.
I think the constant temp change as well as a possible problem with the material of the dash;s that crack regardless of care. There are a lot of people that report it on the forum
Old 02-11-14, 07:08 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

You can always wrap the dash w/ some 3M vinyl.
Old 02-11-14, 10:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by MidniteGX
I've read through the entire cracked dash thread on this board and, also, similar threads on other boards. While the correlation is not 100%, the vast majority of those with cracked dashes are from Florida, Arizona, Texas, and other places with similarly hot climates. Further, when I've talked with the service advisers at two dealerships, one in Wisconsin and one in Iowa, they have both told me that they haven't seen a single instance of a cracked dash on any of the GX vehicles that are serviced in their shops. While I can't say with certainty what causes the cracks, I have to believe that there is, at least, some connection between the cracking and hotter climates. Also, it seems like a good number of those reporting cracks have said that they used products like ArmorAll on their dashes, and this is also true for those with other vehicles that have had similar issues.
Old 02-11-14, 10:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
I've read through the entire cracked dash thread on this board and, also, similar threads on other boards. While the correlation is not 100%, the vast majority of those with cracked dashes are from Florida, Arizona, Texas, and other places with similarly hot climates. Further, when I've talked with the service advisers at two dealerships, one in Wisconsin and one in Iowa, they have both told me that they haven't seen a single instance of a cracked dash on any of the GX vehicles that are serviced in their shops. While I can't say with certainty what causes the cracks, I have to believe that there is, at least, some connection between the cracking and hotter climates. Also, it seems like a good number of those reporting cracks have said that they used products like ArmorAll on their dashes, and this is also true for those with other vehicles that have had similar issues.
I see your point. In Philadelphia we get summers that temp do get to the high 90. If your car is outside and windows closed it can get to easily 140 degrees . Then drop at night to 60's. That would be enough to cause a crack in a compromised dash material.
Old 02-11-14, 10:31 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

The heat probably does play a factor and it's the catalysis so to speak. There's no doubt though that the material used in the dash is defective. I've read some people having cracked dashes within the first 50K miles. That's unacceptable for that to happen on a $50K+ (new) SUV.
Old 02-11-14, 10:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
The heat probably does play a factor and it's the catalysis so to speak. There's no doubt though that the material used in the dash is defective. I've read some people having cracked dashes within the first 50K miles. That's unacceptable for that to happen on a $50K+ (new) SUV.

I don't dismiss the possibility/probability that there is an issue with the material used in the GX dashes, but I also strongly suspect that a variety of other factors play the significant role in determining whether whatever is at fault with the material used actually manifests itself in cracking. And I would guess that exposure to heat and sun and how the dash has been cared for may well be at the top of the list of those other factors.
Old 02-11-14, 11:53 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

It was a production issue during those years and Lexus / Toyota never issued a TSB. The models were GX / the sibling Toyota PRADO in /US / Singapore Australia and Middle East. What happened was they lowered the part cost of the dashboard, which was one kinda help to customers who passed the warranty stage. And could have them replaced. I did my part taking up with Lexus but they just refused it was just passed the 70K and I had it got from Singapore dam cheap and did the replacement in my garage.
After I removed it came to see that the rexin material was the issue. I could have run for years, as they did not interfere with the Airbag systems at all. Another way it you get fine Rexin paste ( clear type) once dried sandpaper the stuff finely on the edges and have them done the dashboard paint by the Auto painter or if you are good at them have the pre-mix done and have it done. and it is not visible a dime.

Quick Reply: Does this look like the dreaded Dash Crack, or ??