GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone Using a Dash Cam In Their GX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 06:41 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone Using a Dash Cam In Their GX?

After several 'incidents' recently, I'm starting to think a dash camera might be a wise investment.

Found this one. Reviews are good and it works O.K. at high interior temperatures. Kind of 'clunky looking' but performance seems good.
http://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-7900-ACE-8GB-GPS/dp/B00C48TJ58/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1392663190&sr=8-14&keywords=dash+cam http://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-7900-ACE-8GB-GPS/dp/B00C48TJ58/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1392663190&sr=8-14&keywords=dash+cam

Any Recommendations???
Old 02-18-14, 08:59 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to dash-cams, youtube is your friend. When you have it narrowed down to few models, go look them up on youtube, they'll have some kind of reviews and example recordings, etc.

I don't have one, but I've been researching for a while. I was looking for one with wifi hookup to the phone/tablet and GPS built in, that isn't too big.

I was looking at this one...

Old 02-18-14, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

look for one with more night time sensors. i got mine on ebay from taiwan. imho they have far better quality and lower price, just more wait time on shipping

i don't have it on the gx but i have it on my nsx
Old 02-18-14, 09:39 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
When it comes to dash-cams, youtube is your friend. When you have it narrowed down to few models, go look them up on youtube, they'll have some kind of reviews and example recordings, etc.

I don't have one, but I've been researching for a while. I was looking for one with wifi hookup to the phone/tablet and GPS built in, that isn't too big.

Blackvue DR500GW-HD Car Dashcam Camera Review & Demo - YouTube
That is an awesome one---lots of guys I know have that and love it, I just got mine but have not installed it yet.
Old 02-19-14, 08:33 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Blackvue DR500GW-HD
Damn I was ready to buy this after seeing the yt video but then I read the horrible reviews on getting them to warrant it if it breaks.
http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Wi-Fi...DateDescending
Old 02-19-14, 09:15 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Damn I was ready to buy this after seeing the yt video but then I read the horrible reviews on getting them to warrant it if it breaks.
http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Wi-Fi...DateDescending
Yeah, love the Wi-Fi feature! But previous models of this brand really had a bad rep. The one I posted seems to have better reliability and it looks like a 'cop cam'. But yeah, that Blackvue video is great salesmanship.
Old 02-19-14, 05:38 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

I'm actually more worried about getting the camera swiped, than it breaking after the warranty period. It's not fun, getting back to your car after a nice night out in downtown, only to find glass all over the sidewalk, on your seat and stuff missing in your car including your registration and the garage door opener.
Old 02-19-14, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

disconnect it when you park in a no-so-good area?
Old 02-19-14, 06:20 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I'm actually more worried about getting the camera swiped, than it breaking after the warranty period.
See 8:24 in that video. That particular camera can be remove in 2 seconds by pushing a button and pulling it out of the mount.

It's not fun, getting back to your car after a nice night out in downtown, only to find glass all over the sidewalk, on your seat and stuff missing in your car including your registration and the garage door opener.
You need a...........
Old 02-20-14, 05:20 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
disconnect it when you park in a no-so-good area?
See 8:24 in that video. That particular camera can be remove in 2 seconds by pushing a button and pulling it out of the mount.

You need a...........
LOL!

Yeah... but that just one time you forget to pull it out is when it's going to cost you.
Old 02-20-14, 07:35 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

LOL!

Yeah... but that just one time you forget to pull it out is when it's going to cost you.
We're still talking about dash cams....right?
Old 02-20-14, 07:47 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a dumba$$, what purpose would this serve?
Old 02-20-14, 08:18 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by burny
I risk sounding like a dumba$$ every time I open my mouth. Live dangerously!

A dash cam provides evidence if the driver has the misfortune of being involved in an accident. Of course, if the accident is the dash cam driver's fault, having the dash cam evidence subpenaed, would make the dash cam driver look like a dumba$$.
Old 02-20-14, 08:38 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

We're still talking about dash cams....right?
Yeah, of course. I mean, what else could I be possibly talking about? lol...

Originally Posted by burny
Catching comets streaking across the sky, watching Concord taking off on fire, catching text and drivers being run over by semis, watching hot chicks walking across at a red light,(need to wait few months tho, for a decent shot) etc...

On more serious thought, my mother in law was hit by semi running red light. The semi was leaving his work area and 2 of his buddies witnessed the accident. His buddies, of course told the cops that my mother in law was the one running the red light, she got a ticket and was found at fault for the accident, her insurance rate skyrocketed (a lot more than the cost of the dash cam). A simple dash cam would have saved her a lot of trouble. I'm absolutely going to get one right after paying off all the X mas gift bills.
Old 02-20-14, 09:02 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

^^

Check out 4:30. Looks like fun doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Anyone Using a Dash Cam In Their GX?