GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2007 GX470 shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 12:48 PM
PapaBear34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GX470 shocks and struts

I have been digesting a ton of information on other threads dealing with this subject but I am having trouble making a decision.

Replace the OEM parts for the front struts and rear shocks is a big hit to the pocket book but can be done if there is a significant advantage to using them in place of Arnott Bilstein's or Suncore's versions.

In other CL threads I've seen it mentioned that additional hardware and "brackets" I believe were needed to make the previously mentioned aftermarket options safe, long-lasting and more ecconomical.

Has anyone recently undertaken this same project who would also like to offer some guidance for us? It would be very much appreciated.

p.s. Is the ride height sensor's predispostion to go out at about 80-100k something that can be bypassed or rendered moot by switching to coil-over suspension? To make the switch to coil-over does it need to be done on both axles?

THANKS!
Old 01-24-14, 01:10 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't pay extra for Arnotts "Bilsteins" or any of those kits. Just get a set of Bilstein 5100s front and rear shocks for a 4th gen 4Runner / FJ. There are other shocks out there too, so it's up to you to pick which manufacturer you like. Doing this shock / strut swap, will not need any extra parts.

The only time you will need extra parts is if you're doing a coil swap IE: removing your ride height / air bag system. And you'll only need extra parts for the the rear axle since our front does not air bags. And yes, once you switch over to springs out back you will not need to use the ride height adjusters.

You can buy a complete kit like below to use w/ the springs of your choice:
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-791-gx...plete-kit.aspx

Or buy their DIY kit and source the top isolators yourself and save $40+.
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-792-gx...=mt-gx470-4002
The Toyota OEM part number for the top isolators is: 4830235040...they sell for $60 a piece at any Toyota / online dealer.

For more info check this thread out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-on-gx470.html

Or go over to ih8mud.com and browse around in the 120 forum:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-24-14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 01:16 PM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Will those 5100s Bilstein shocks your talking about retain all the stock features?
Old 01-24-14, 01:18 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MichaelD86
Will those 5100s Bilstein shocks your talking about retain all the stock features?
No, you won't be able to use the sport / comfort feature if you install anything other than an OEM shock. If you install a aftermarket shock in the rear you will still be able to raise and lower your GX though.

I wanted something better than stock so I bought a set of Icon coilovers and added their CDC valve. You can read more about it here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...coilovers.html
Old 01-24-14, 01:26 PM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Will that throw any codes or set any lights off in the dash?
Old 01-24-14, 01:31 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

If you mean swapping the front / rear shocks, no you won't get any lights or codes.

As far as doing the spring conversion, yes you will. I'm not using coils in the back, I tricked the rear air bags for lift so I don't know exactly what to do off the top of my head. Read this thread though, they talk in detail about pulling relays etc. once you do the swap:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...hout-lift.html
Old 01-24-14, 01:48 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Sorry for the hijack here.

So if you replace the front and rear shocks with the 5100's all you lose is the comfort/sport setting? What do you do with the plug for the comfort/sport system? My air suspension seems to be fine at 92K.
Old 01-24-14, 01:50 PM
PapaBear34
Driver School Candidate

Arnott Industries' website is advertising that the Arnott Bilsteins were "made specifically for the GX470" which is how I stumbled upon them in the first place (like many others who refuse to pay that much without a fight). These 5100s you speak of...you prefer them because of cost or performance RC? The Suncore product is also one that interests me because it claims to be another producer of GX470 specific shocks and struts (and coils if wanted to complete the process).
Has anyone tried the Suncore products?
Old 01-24-14, 02:02 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sprocket
Sorry for the hijack here.

So if you replace the front and rear shocks with the 5100's all you lose is the comfort/sport setting? What do you do with the plug for the comfort/sport system? My air suspension seems to be fine at 92K.
Yes, all you loose is the sport / comfort feature.

The front plugs you can tuck above the shock mount. The rear you just leave since they're attached to the frame with a plastic piece with a little pin on it that plugs into the frame.

Originally Posted by PapaBear34
Arnott Industries' website is advertising that the Arnott Bilsteins were "made specifically for the GX470" which is how I stumbled upon them in the first place (like many others who refuse to pay that much without a fight). These 5100s you speak of...you prefer them because of cost or performance RC? The Suncore product is also one that interests me because it claims to be another producer of GX470 specific shocks and struts (and coils if wanted to complete the process).
Has anyone tried the Suncore products?
I'm only using 5100s in the rear. They're much better than my stocks were but my stocks were very worn so anything probably would've been better.

I've used front / rear 5100s on my 1st gen Tundra and they held up great. Nice improvement over stock and my Tundra had around 40K-50K miles when I swapped them over.

If you do some searching (I don't have the link bookmarked, sorry) on ih8mud / 120 forum, someone compared the springs in one of those "kits" you're asking about and said if you're staying at ride height and not lifting to use FJ coils since they have thicker coils.

Same link posted in #6, but this guy used 4Runner springs. Maybe they talk about the "kit" springs in there.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ut-lift-2.html

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-24-14 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 03:22 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

There's a place here in Denver that can make a cover to replace the actual suspension switch inside the truck, as i saw on this IH8Mud thread:

Name:  interior_switch_zpsa4a42237.jpg
Views: 5631
Size:  71.4 KB

As cool as the air shocks and everything else are, When mine starts failing, i certainly am not going to be spending thousands of dollars on replacing it! It's getting converted to standard stuff if it gets cost prohibitive.
Old 01-24-14, 04:56 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Not knocking whoever got it made but that cover looks tacky. I'd rather just leave the switch in place....it's not really in the way.

Now if I did what this guy did below, I'd get the cover just to find a reason to mount 1 or 2 more switches in it.

Name:  Switches_zps68e76381.jpg
Views: 6616
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  Switch1_zps122af6be.jpeg
Views: 5429
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  Switch3_zps5c042ba9.jpeg
Views: 5605
Size:  45.7 KB
Old 01-24-14, 09:43 PM
PapaBear34
Driver School Candidate

Just pulled the trig on the Bilstein/Arnott Industries products. I'll let you know the when, where and how later. Again, thanks for the advice and pics.
Old 01-25-14, 04:00 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PapaBear34
Just pulled the trig on the Bilstein/Arnott Industries products. I'll let you know the when, where and how later. Again, thanks for the advice and pics.
I just bought a set of these too. Shockwarehouse has them for ~600 for all 4 now. apparent;ly, Arnott recently lowered the price, I've only received 2 so far but I can say that they have Bilstein stickers on them but Arnott is stamped into the body of the shock.

Are they valved different from standard Billies? Who knows but I thought they were worth checking out.

I'll report back once I get them installed, Need the weather to warm up a little before I attempt.
Old 01-25-14, 07:00 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by new2005GX
Are they valved different from standard Billies? Who knows but I thought they were worth checking out.
If I dropped that kind of money I would certainly want to know.

Another member who bought these posted some part numbers that were on the shocks and the parts numbers are the same as Bilstein 4600s for a 4Runner, which costs $342 for a pair of front and rear shocks.

Front: 24-188401
Rear: 24-186049

Arnott needs to explain why these are so special IE: valved differently that a standard 4Runner 4600 because as of now all we know is they teamed up with Bilstein and had them make a black body shock.
Old 01-25-14, 07:10 AM
MichaelD86
Rookie

Not really a fan of all the switches. It looks tacky. I like modding vehicles but I prefer a stock look. This is also my wife's car so I will probably pony up and buy stock again once they need replacing.

Quick Reply: 2007 GX470 shocks and struts