GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Budget Buying Options/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 07:24 AM
BigDreamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Budget Buying Options/Opinions

Hey all, total newbie here both to this forum and all forms in general so forgive me for rookie mistakes. I'm asking a question that's bound to have been thoroughly discussed but I can't put my mouse on it. So here it goes...

I drive an old '97 with 170+ thousand miles trouble free; hardly any money put into that car. Runs great but I've driving it so long and I really want a change. My budget is $14k max, assuming I can talk the price down a bit and put a (very) little bit of cash down. My real lifestyle is centered on driving 22 miles one way to work each day, 17 on the hwy and the rest on city blocks . The hwy is mostly moving can bottle up too. Occasionally drive with 1-3 of my kids and would use it to haul a canoe if I can. My dream life is backwoods driving.

So I really like the GX and LX over pretty much anything out there, but sometimes I think maybe 4runner or MDX.

Assuming maintenance records are virtually the same between models, anyone have a recommendation between what I'm seeing in the market place? As a sample, I can get:
1998 LX 92K miles for $11,000
2004 GX 120K miles for $12,000
2002 LX 153K miles for $12,800
2000 LX 137K miles for $13,000
2001 LX 98K miles for $13,500
2003/2004 GX 122k miles for $14,000

So lots of choices. I didn't include 4R or MDX as the GX/LX are my first loves... MPGs are important but as I drive mostly hwy, maybe big difference? After all, these LXs have the 4 speed and the GX the 5 speed...

Any opinions on these? The prices are all within budget, assume maintenance is on par, why one or the other?
Thanks soo much!!
Old 01-22-14, 08:05 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=gx47...ient=firefox-a

If you need a larger / roomier SUV get the LX. If you want a tailgate / lift hatch instead of the GXs barn door get the LX. Both have the same V8 / 2uz-fe engine. Interiors look similar, although I think the GX looks better.

You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 01-22-14, 08:50 AM
BigDreamer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RCsGX....everything is such a trade off...larger vs smaller, tailgate differences... Realistically, 95% of the time it'll be just me by myself so I ask myself do I "need" all that extra truck (LX) for the occasional family drive? Probably not, but it's nice to have. And maybe the drives will become less occasional...
With the 4 speed vs 5 speed, I see owners mpg range from 16-19 hwy mileage, but mostly around 17 for the LX, and perhaps 18/19 for the GX. Does that seem right?
And then for the "value" part of the equation...is a 1998 LX with <100k miles for $11grand a better deal than a 2003 GX with 120k miles for $12k better? LX is larger, arguably more comfortable, capable...but it's 5 years older....
Is it "better" to go newer with more miles on the odo or older with fewer miles, given "equal" fair maintenance? Just part of my conundrum....
Old 01-22-14, 08:52 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I drove quite a few of the V8 powered Toyota/Lexus SUVs before making my decision to buy my GX. A few things that influenced my decision were:

The LX470s felt to me as if they were somewhat underpowered, where the GX, being smaller and lighter with the same engine, feels quite muscular and is a stronger performer overall.

The GX is a newer more modern design, introduced in 2003, as opposed to the LX's 1998, which in turn you get some newer features, such as dual zone climate control (which is pretty much required in my book if you have a moody female passenger all the time who is always cold)

As as RCxGX said before, i agree the interior quality on the GXs is far superior to the LXs.

The LX got some of the updates like the 5-speed and VVT-i in 2003, but from what i saw the 2003 and ups are significantly more $$$

The third row seats are alot easier to take in and out in the GX.

Another thing which I like better, which won't apply to some people, is the GXs front coil spring/strut suspension, as opposed to the LXs front torsion bars. Front coils are alot easier to service if you do the work yourself, plus although the GX does have it's faults with the fancy suspension parts, its alot less complicated than the LXs system, which even has its own fluid!

Last edited by YoshiMan; 01-22-14 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 09:35 AM
BigDreamer
Driver School Candidate

Hey YoshiMan, great points...I was neglecting the roughly 800 pounds difference; impact-full to mpgs/performance in general.
Boy if only dual zone climate control could control all our moody female problems...lol.
And you are absolutely correct in that there is a large upswing in price for 2003 LXs which have the 5 speed. But I didn't think the LC/LX received VVT-i until like 2006 or something. No matter they are way out of budget for me.

I really don't want to have to use the third row in either vehicle. My 3 kids are all teenage boys plus we have 4 dogs (yes, that crazy dog guy). But I think they could all stand to be side-by-side for a few hours with their elbows touching if needed. And for the dog kennel in back, I would want to remove the seats. Good to know that won't be a chore.

I'm definitely more of a DIY guy having replaced replaced all manner of mechanical pieces on various cars like a blend door actuator that was buried behind the dashboard, upper/lower ball joints, replaced rear air suspension on a Grand Marquis, etc...

So having front coils just might be the ticket.

What are some of the faults with the fancy suspension parts? Are they electrical? Mechanical? Do you repair or replace parts?

Other things of potential worry; the dreaded clunk/thunk issue, radiator leaks, cracked dash and some say corroded wheels.
Old 01-22-14, 09:45 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDreamer
What are some of the faults with the fancy suspension parts? Are they electrical? Mechanical? Do you repair or replace parts?
Both.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-on-gx470.html

Other things of potential worry; the dreaded clunk/thunk issue, radiator leaks, cracked dash and some say corroded wheels.
  • Clunk issues have been taken care off VIA TSIB
  • Radiator leaks do happen but knock on wood I'm still on my factory radiator at 120K miles
  • Cracked dash is a problem w/ Toyota and Lexus. Luck of the draw...you either get cracks or you don't
  • Corroded wheels are a problem too. My chrome stock wheels were flaking but I got new wheels, which if you like to mod you vehicles you'll do anyway, so for me that wasn't a huge deal

If you don't need the larger I would vehicle get the GX...but I'm being biased since I own a GX. I'd take the vehicle that has the most service history. If you want to run a Lexus VIN, go here, create a free account and you can see all of the dealer service that has been performed over the years:
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-22-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 11:19 PM
lakewaylex
Driver School Candidate

I have a 98 lx and 07 gx

If MPG is a big deal to you, definitely get the GX unless you are sure you need the extra space.

If you do decide to get the LX, I think the 02 is the better deal on your list as long as it was well maintained - I wouldn't worry about the extra miles. But some people have had success negotiating the 90k servicing as part of the purchase (have the dealer do the water pump/timing belt that would cost you $1k or a bunch of time diy) Getting the 02 will get you 5 speed transmission instead of 4 and you'll also get ATRAC I think, instead of pre2000 LSD in the rear.
Old 01-23-14, 07:26 AM
BigDreamer
Driver School Candidate

Really appreciate the posts and general insight into the LX/GX conundrum. I'm probably leaning towards the GX with some of the things I consider important such as mpgs, and perhaps a little more DIY ability.

I've also priced them out against a 4Runner Limited and they seem pretty comparable in price but I hear some negatives against the 4runner in terms of seating comfort and/or seat height.

Now I just to get some "seat time" in these vehicles without the snow and ice on the roads....
Old 01-23-14, 08:45 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Really appreciate the posts and general insight into the LX/GX conundrum. I'm probably leaning towards the GX with some of the things I consider important such as mpgs, and perhaps a little more DIY ability.

I've also priced them out against a 4Runner Limited and they seem pretty comparable in price but I hear some negatives against the 4runner in terms of seating comfort and/or seat height.

Now I just to get some "seat time" in these vehicles without the snow and ice on the roads....
Absolutely. The best info you'll get is driving the trucks and looking at their build and condition.

I drove a 2000 Landcruiser and two 1999 LX470 and then the 2004 GX470 before I settled. There was one LX470 that was in absolutely immaculate condition but it drove like a tank and the guy wanted ridiculous $$ for it.

We have three boys all under 14 currently and even though the LX would have been roomier, the GX is working out fine and wife rather likes it too!

Good luck on your decision
Old 01-23-14, 01:50 PM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After driving a few Land Cruisers and LXs we decided on the GX too. The LC/LX just felt heavier and slower. They were all nice trucks, but the GX excited us more. We also have three kids and while the extra room would have been nice, the GX just felt better. In comparison, the GX felt agile, sporty, and powerful. If you find one that's been pampered like we did, buy it. We have absolutely no regrets.